Is that how Biggest Losers do it?

Options
Help me figure this out. Is it okay to eat 1200 cal but then burn (exercise off) that 1200 cal in one day for day after day? I guess that's how they get the 15lb+ weight loss in one week. Not saying I can do this but great little tip to know. It's perfectly okay for you to do this as long as you are getting the daily required nutrients in your food. Right????? Just trying to figure out how I can get that beach body by end of July.:smile:

Replies

• Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The biggest losers have 24 hour access to medical staff and under strict supervision. It's not sustainable, it's a competition.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    and they are all very obese......the more obese you are the more of a deficit you can sustain.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    you can do it many different ways...
  • Cherieplayer
    Options
    Biggest Loser competitors are also focused solely on weight loss - they have no day to day distractions.

500 - 800grams a week is thought to be sustainable - which is what we are all after isn't it, lose the weight and keep it off. Rapid weight loss is not good long term (despite how it feels at the time).
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    People on Biggest Loser are also usually very, very obese.

When you're that big, frankly it's pretty easy to drop a lot of weight quickly. Larger body mass burns more energy just keeping it all alive. I experienced this first-hand.

As others have mentioned, it's also unsustainable to try and lose weight this way. They aren't establishing healthy habits and, sadly, many will put most/all of the weight back on, possibly more. I have also experienced this first hand.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    They also cry a lot. Over everything. Their hormones and emotions are out of whack.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    They also cry a lot. Over everything. Their hormones and emotions are out of whack.

I agree and they literally are surrounded by trainers and stuff 24/7. That's all they have to do is work out. There is no day to day distractions. No kids to deal with, work to deal with, average life stuff. It's just here is your gym and here is your bed, tahdeedah go at it. That's why most gain weight back when they are done with the show and on their own, they had to face reality.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    And, apparently, lots of not-so-healthy stuff goes on especially toward the end....when they dehydrate themselves to lose 10+ lbs in a day or so (to win the competition) by sitting in the sauna & fasting to the extreme. It IS a TV reality show as others have mentioned. Slow weight loss is not nearly as exciting but is much more sustainable in the long run.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The people on Biggest Loser are usually severely obese. Those huge weight loss numbers are not just fat loss, it's mostly water weight. It's not healthy to eat 1200 cal/day and burn it off because at that number you are already in a deficit.
  • dajero1
    dajero1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I agree and they literally are surrounded by trainers and stuff 24/7. That's all they have to do is work out. There is no day to day distractions. No kids to deal with, work to deal with, average life stuff. It's just here is your gym and here is your bed, tahdeedah go at it. That's why most gain weight back when they are done with the show and on their own, they had to face reality.

Haters (jk)...You are blowing my image of the show. Give them some credit. By the way are there really statistics out there about the percent that put the weight back on?
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    And from what some of the previous contestants have stated, one week doesn't usually equal one week. They go more than 7 days between most weigh-ins.
  • proctor78
    proctor78 Posts: 51
    Options
    They cry alot because they are getting rid of years worth of emotions that have held them back....
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I read an article that most of them gain it all back cause the show does not deal with the underlying reasons why they eat etc. if all i did was workout all day i would be so buff it would be ridiculous, but that is not life, slow and steady wins the race
  • khedl85
    khedl85 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    They also cry a lot. Over everything. .

lol 5lbs of cry today, good job guys!
  • dajero1
    dajero1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The people on Biggest Loser are usually severely obese. Those huge weight loss numbers are not just fat loss, it's mostly water weight. It's not healthy to eat 1200 cal/day and burn it off because at that number you are already in a deficit.

Guess I need to understand the term deficit more. Got some studying to do. Thanks all
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a fast-track to Anorexia, to me.

I used to be Bulemic... I don't really recommend it. Was under a lot of stress at work, had too little time to eat... everything compounded till I couldn't keep food down for a few months.

You should figure out your Lean Muscle Mass & eat JUST enough calories to sustain your BMR at that lean muscle mass. For me, at 5'7 & 153lbs, my lean mass is 104lbs so I have to consume 1286 calories per day. I always eat to that amount, regardless of how much I work out. I could earn an extra 600 calories at the gym... & just not eat them. For me, this has worked. But of course, it's only very temporary.

When I get to my goal weight, I will switch to eating the BMR calories for my proper size, & eating back the exercise calories. But for weight loss mode, so far, this has worked. AND I haven't struggled with starvation mode.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This is a interesting topic for me because netflix just added it to their listing a few weeks ago.

I watched the first season where the show the difference between Jill's eat less diet (which you are discribing), and then Bob's eat more diet (which is a lifestyle change). I think if you have netflix and some free time you should go back and check out the first few episodes of the first season they really get into the explaination of the two different types of diets.

Jill's diet worked amazing the first week, and after the first week everyone of her contestants plateu'd (which is never fun). She realized that she was in fact have them eat TOO LITTLE and work out TOO MUCH in order for them to succeed in compitetion. She actucally had to increase their calories from 1200 in order to keep them working out as hard as they were.

Like I said this was very interesting. Watch it if you can...
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Guess I need to understand the term deficit more. Got some studying to do. Thanks all

the concept of the built in deficit at 1200 calories a day is that it takes about 1500-2500 for most people's bodies to sustain basic functions (like breathing, heart rate) and then a few hundred extra for just walking around or sitting at a desk. For me, for example, that means that it takes 2300 calories a day just to keep my body at its current weight. I eat at 1650 a day, and exercise as well. This means that i'm at 500+ calories deficit (1 pound a week) in eating, and a little extra in exercise if I do not eat those calories back. Remember - it takes 3500 calories = 1 pound. So, 500 calorie deficit under your BMR (basal metabolic rate)/TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), depending on how you calculate it, will result i 1 pound each week lost. By netting 0 calories a day, you're actually putting your body in a position where it will start cannibalizing itself and eating muscle to maintain function.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Never watched the show, but your best option is following a sustainable plan.