Vacation Jitters!!!

Options
So next week I will be in Salt Lake City visiting my mom for vacation. I'm excited for the trip but the one thing I am dreading is the temptations. I currently live in a small town and we are limited on food joints which is great for me. But when you go from small town usual to big city holy crap look at the options, it is a tad bit intimidating. Does anyone have any suggestions? Because I'm pretty sure we will be eating out quite a bit.

Replies

• Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Start your meals with a full glass of water and order a salad with fat free dressing. Choose the main course carefully and ask the waitress to serve you only half and to box the other half for another time. That way you may not be so tempted. Just a thought. Enjoy your trip!!!!
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Try to chose the healthier options some of the days. Grilled chicken is always a good choice. I'm sure you will be tempted so why not allow yourself a couple "cheat meals" so you have those to look forward to on the other days that you are being good. Another idea is to when ordering something ask the waiter to only bring half the meal and bring the rest out in a to-go box. Most places the servings are way over a normal amount...so half should fill you up and you will be consuming way less calories. This works great at places that serve an enormous plate of pasta (like the Olive Garden for example)....half the chicken fettuccine alfredo is plenty and it makes it around 600 calories (I think if I am remembering right a full serving was 1200!) wow...almost a whole days worth of calories in one meal!!
    And if you do end up going hog wild....well you are on vacation and you can always get back to it once you get back home! Good luck...making good choices while on vaca is so hard but I know you will do fine girl! :happy:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Is your mom into eating healthy ? Either way, have a little sit-down & tell her you are trying to stay fit :heart:
    It's more about the connection & conversation than the food ......
    What meal(s) are you most likely to eat out ? Hopefully, not all three !
    Eat light during the day, so you won't worry when you do go out.
    Offer to prepare a meal or two each day (and wash up LOL)
    Is your mom mobile ? Visit the veggie & fruit aisles at the local market ....
    Are there any farmers' markets to explore ?
    Go for a walk, even if it's around & around at the mall ..... just go easy at the food court !
    When you do go out to eat, steer towards a diner or restaurant rather than a fast-food place.
    When ordering, get your protein, then double or triple up on veg, and no starch .....
    No dessert either, unless you've eaten light the rest of the day ..... and share it !
    Bring half the meal home.
    Drink plenty of water !
    And keep logging onto MFP ....

Have a great time & give Mom a hug !
  • LouTru
    LouTru Posts: 3
    Options
    if you know where you will be eating try looking up your calories ahead of time. Many of the restaurants actual menu items are on here. If you plug in your calories in the morning and kinda play around with a place you might be eating at this might help.
  • kaylovluvz
    kaylovluvz Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm not sure where we will be going. And I sure it will be either just dinner or lunch. lol thanks all for the advice. I had an idea of what I wanted to do with it to keep on track and most were stated. Just figured I'd ask still. I will def. keep things in mind. All should be fine but you never know.