Get off my back!

Options
Somewhat new here... Im kind of stuck in a weird spot. At any time, I usually look 15lbs smaller then what I really weigh. At a little over 160 several people guessed145. So heres my problem. My goal is 135 (im 5.5) currently 151. Im getting a lot of flack for wanting to lose the last 16. My mom, my hubs, all of my family.

My goals are to be well within a healthy bmi, reach and maintain at 135, and get into a certain size. If I lose those lbs ill look roughly around 120, which is close to underweight.

Im so confused.. Should I aim for my goals, which are perfectly normal and healthy, or listen to my family. And also, anyone else have this issue

Replies

• jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Maybe split the difference? Try 140 or 143 and see how that goes? If you're still not satisfied, just keep going. If your numbers are adding up, I don't think the argument that you look skinnier than you are is a good reason to stop before your goal.
  • without being rude or mean, you have to look at the sources perspective, do you want to have a leaner weight for yourself than they want for themselves?
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Only you know what the best weight for you is. However, there are other factors than BMI and weight to consider. Do you have a large frame? What's your body fat percentage? Are you trying to get to 135 for the number's sake, or is it actually an attainable and healthy goal? It could be that 150 or 145 is a better weight for you, but it's something you just have to figure out. I wish I could be more help. :flowerforyou:
  • niksinnotts
    niksinnotts Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    you do what you're comfortable with, as long as you're healthy and happy!!:flowerforyou:
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I would go with a goal that i've set for myself, regardless of anyone elses' input on the matter. However, if these are people who are very close to you and you respect their opinions, you might consider that they're responding to some unhealthy weight loss habits they see you developing. Do you have other goals in your life as well, or is "health" an all-consuming interest?
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not many people will honestly tell you what they think you weigh- most will guess lower to make you feel better. Just like if someone asks how old they look - you always tell them an age lower than you actually think
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's a perception issue. I know that I was always pretty thin - I'm 135 and 5'7" - and everybody is already used to it, so nobody comments on me being too skinny. My sister, on the other hand, was never skinny growing up, so when she starts losing weight people sometimes freak on her and say things like, "You're wasting away to nothing," even though she's not nearly as skinny as me. They just aren't used to it on her. I wonder if that's your family's problem. Do what YOU want. It's not about them.:flowerforyou:
  • MILF_in_progress
    Options
    I dont know what frame I am, small to medium? I was obese for most of my life. Lost weight, had kids, obese again... My body now at 150, is completely different than 150 before. I think 135 is a good goal for myself and manageable. Just soo torn.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Don't discuss your weight with family and friends...decide for yourself or if you're concerned, see a doctor about it.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I certainly cop that and it is getting annoying. People tell me I will get sick if I lose any more weight, even though I am still technically obese. Makes me wonder why they didn't care enough to tell me I was making myself sick when I was morbidly obese!

Although it can be hard to see ourselves as others do, you know your body best, so go with your own goals.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I certainly cop that and it is getting annoying. People tell me I will get sick if I lose any more weight, even though I am still technically obese. Makes me wonder why they didn't care enough to tell me I was making myself sick when I was morbidly obese!

Although it can be hard to see ourselves as others do, you know your body best, so go with your own goals.

There are various reasons people try to sabotage your weight loss - they don't like change, jealousy, you make them take a closer look at themselves and it makes them uncomfortable, they fear you will leave them behind, etc... Avoid those people. Stick to the most supportive people you know. :heart: