Help! too many options which to do....nothing working

Options
Hi all I have been here on MFP for a while now and nothing is working, I started with 1200 cals a day and walking 3 times a week. Nothing changed after a month of trying.. Then I found the "eat more to weigh less" group, it made sense so I took that up and joined the gym at the same time. 5 weeks later and I have gained 2 kg's and lost no inches... so confused and no idea what to do now.

Stats are 36 yrs old female, 86 kg's and around 5.5 height. Should I just eat at BMR around 1600 and keep going to the gym? I workout 4-6 times a week, 30mins cardio and 30 mins weights.

Any advice or how it worked for others would be great!

Replies

• Xamybrynx
    Xamybrynx Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Hun just a thought but have you measured yourself? You maybe losing inches with all that exercise also are you eating bk your calories? Xcx
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    She said she has gained 2 kg's and lost no inches :P

Are you drinking water? how much?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    are you being totally honest with your calorie counting? Counting every single thing? I'm terrilbe for conviently forgetting the glass of wine :-)
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It is a most annoying place to be in and one which would cause alot of people to quit (myself included). When i started it took around a year to lose 28lbs and i then upped my game, increased the cardio and lost over 84lbs the following year.

Battle through it, improve your fitness etc. and increase effort as you improve and you should start to see the changes you want to see, just not as fast as you would probably like.
  • bettyzing
    bettyzing Posts: 48
    Options
    [Nope no inches, not even a cm!

quote]
    Hi Hun just a thought but have you measured yourself? You maybe losing inches with all that exercise also are you eating bk your calories? Xcx
    [/quote]
  • bettyzing
    Options
    Around 1.5 litres a day
    She said she has gained 2 kg's and lost no inches :P

Are you drinking water? how much?
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Maybe track sodium & sugar they seem to be quite high in your diet?
  • bettyzing
    Options
    Been counting the many glasses... but like I said my cals have been around 1900 I just am starting to think its too many

are you being totally honest with your calorie counting? Counting every single thing? I'm terrilbe for conviently forgetting the glass of wine :-)
  • bettyzing
    Options
    Been counting the many glasses... but like I said my cals have been around 1900 I just am starting to think its too many

• Xamybrynx
    Options
    Well I guess someone had to correct me eh, if I were you Hun I would look into exactly how much exercise you are doing your body could be in starvation mode I have been in the same place as you are and as soon as I started eating bk the calories it was moving again hope this helps xcx
  • bettyzing
    Options
    Thanks all I just cant figure out where I should set my cals too now. I burn around 300 cals per workout so not heaps. I go by what the machine says then assume around 100 cals for strength training.
  • Xamybrynx
    Options
    Is this the only exercise you do daily? Maybe try eating speed foods xcx
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Maybe track sodium and sugar in your diet they seem to be quite high?
  • bettyzing
    Options
    Sure could be worth a go.

quote]
    Maybe track sodium and sugar in your diet they seem to be quite high?
    [/quote]
  • bettyzing
    Options
    ? I go to the gym 5 -6 times a week for an hr.
    Is this the only exercise you do daily? Maybe try eating speed foods xcx
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    counting cals does nothing for me either.
    once i started low carb, the weight started dropping off of me.

good luck to whatever you decide!
  • bettyzing
    Options
    Yeah but i would miss my wine too much!
    counting cals does nothing for me either.
    once i started low carb, the weight started dropping off of me.

good luck to whatever you decide!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Try using MFP as designed.

Go into your settings and set yourself to lose 1lb a week - no more no less. This will give you a deficit of 500 calories a day. If you are totally honest with everything you track, this works by the sheer laws of thermodynamics and won't leave you feeling deprived.

Do exercise you love, but preferably a mix of cardio and strength, five or six days a week. Eat back 80% of your exercise calories to allow a margin of error.

Make healthy food choices most of the time, but when you don't at least make sure you hit your calorie target. For at least one week, weigh everything and double-check portion sizes until you can eyeball them accurately. Log everything, even that bite of someone else's cake.

Don't keep changing programmes when something doesn't work after a week or two. Stick with it and you'll get results.

I notice you haven't filled in your profile. Set yourself some goals for the next week, month and six months. Get your MFP friends to support you.

You've got this! :flowerforyou:
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Go into your settings and set yourself to lose 1lb a week - no more no less. This will give you a deficit of 500 calories a day. If you are totally honest with everything you track, this works by the sheer laws of thermodynamics and won't leave you feeling deprived.

Do exercise you love, but preferably a mix of cardio and strength, five or six days a week. Eat back 80% of your exercise calories to allow a margin of error.

Make healthy food choices most of the time, but when you don't at least make sure you hit your calorie target. For at least one week, weigh everything and double-check portion sizes until you can eyeball them accurately. Log everything, even that bite of someone else's cake.

Don't keep changing programmes when something doesn't work after a week or two. Stick with it and you'll get results.

I notice you haven't filled in your profile. Set yourself some goals for the next week, month and six months. Get your MFP friends to support you.

This - what's the point of coming to MFP if you're not going to do what it suggests when you input your own details in? You can't just pluck calorie numbers from the air! And the weight didn't go on quickly so it's not going to come off quickly, you need to allow your body time to adjust first, then start working the way you want it to.
  • bettyzing
    Options
    Thank you, I reckon you are bang on. I am going to go into settings and enter info now. I love going to the gym so will keep doing that. Thanks again.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!