Emotional eaters.....anyone?

Options
I have tried every diet known to man (and woman)...Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, the hormone shots, the dreaded Phen Fen (stupid, I know!), Atkins, South Beach, Weightloss Challenge...you name it, I've failed at it.

So what's different this time? This time, I will take into account my emotional eating. This time, not only will I write down my calories, fiber, fat, protein, water intake and exercise, but I will also write down WHY I'm eating.

Am I eating because I'm bored? Frustrated? Needing comfort? Or because I'm REALLY hungry? So I'm going to write why I ate and how much I ate and when, because I'm hoping to see some patterns and then I'd like to take those patterns and kick their A$$es. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    That is a GREAT PLAN!! I had my own epiphany a month or two ago about why/how I failed at all my attempts at weight loss. Ever since then I have found it much easier to stick to my weight loss plan. GOOD LUCK!!
  • deekennedy33
    deekennedy33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try to walk around when you have the urge to eat. Also, try smelling the mint leaves as well, I read on my health magazine that it will reduce the hunger.

Good luck!!
  • Desiderata
    Options
    Im an emotional cooker, which i suppose leads to emotional eating, respectively. I suppose i get around that by sharing whatever i happen to be eating. There are always hungry souls around to share with.

288747.png[/url
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea! You will learn so much when you look at not just the "what" but the "why" too! There are some good books out there on this topic, if you are interested, I can pass along the titles and authors.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea! You will learn so much when you look at not just the "what" but the "why" too! There are some good books out there on this topic, if you are interested, I can pass along the titles and authors.

I'd like to know which ones...
  • krissygirl
    Options
    Emotional cooking.... Wow. If I started THAT, I'd be in BIG trouble. My husband is gone during the week and we're new to this town and I'd have no one to share it with. =)
  • krissygirl
    Options
    Try to walk around when you have the urge to eat. Also, try smelling the mint leaves as well, I read on my health magazine that it will reduce the hunger.

Good luck!!

I will definitely try the mint. Do you think mint tea works?
  • krissygirl
    Options

I'd like to know which ones...

me too...

:smile:
  • Kath712
    Options
    "Overcoming Overeating" by Jane R. Hirschmann, M.S.W., and Carol H. Munter - this book literally changed my life 12 years ago. It's a pretty radical approach, but it was just what I needed.

"When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies: Freeing Yourself from Food and Weight Obsession" by Jane R. Hirschmann, M.S.W. Talks about all the things that women could do if we stop hating our bodies. A good follow-up to Overcoming Overeating.

"Losing It: False Hopes and Fat Profits in the Diet Industry" by Laura Fraser. This one convinced me never to spend another dime on a diet program or book.

It's been a while since I've read these. I'm thinking I want to reacquaint myself with them. Thanks for the reminder. :flowerforyou:
  • krissygirl
    Options
    "Overcoming Overeating" by Jane R. Hirschmann, M.S.W., and Carol H. Munter - this book literally changed my life 12 years ago. It's a pretty radical approach, but it was just what I needed.

"When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies: Freeing Yourself from Food and Weight Obsession" by Jane R. Hirschmann, M.S.W. Talks about all the things that women could do if we stop hating our bodies. A good follow-up to Overcoming Overeating.

"Losing It: False Hopes and Fat Profits in the Diet Industry" by Laura Fraser. This one convinced me never to spend another dime on a diet program or book.

It's been a while since I've read these. I'm thinking I want to reacquaint myself with them. Thanks for the reminder. :flowerforyou:

Thank you!!:flowerforyou:
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

THANKS!:flowerforyou:
  • krissygirl
    Options
    So after one day of actually paying attention to WHY I'm eating, I went the whole day only eating when I was hungry, not because I was bored or depressed or craving comfort. It kind of seemed to happen naturally when I was paying attention. Well, one day at a time, I guess.

Here's to Day 2...

301338.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Kath712
    Options
    Krissy - that is awesome!
  • krissygirl
    Options
    Dangnabit....I was great at the mindfulness thing until the very end of the day. I don't know what gets into me. My head just goes somewhere else while I stuff one more helping in my mouth. So here's where I figure out what the heck I was feeling. What made me do it? Boredom and loneliness, this time. My hubby's away during the week and I'm home alone with the dog and my computer. :grumble:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Me too! You are definitely not alone, and there are a bunch of us hanging out already on the Food Addicts Anonymous thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/68908-food-addicts-anonymous