Mid-workout snack?

Options
I don't normally eat mid-workout but there are a couple of days a week I do a pump style class for an hour, then go into the gym on cardio. I have been having to cut my cardio short as I am getting hunger pains.

I had a protein shake in the middle today and whilst that kept the hunger away it did make me feel bloated so obviously not a great idea.

Any tips on what would be a good snack? (I don't eat bananas either Lol).

I eat about 300/400 cals at breakfast in either a smoothie or cereal and mini smoothie. (About 2 hours prior to going to gym). Maybe I should be increasing this?

Replies

• SteveCabral94
    SteveCabral94 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt could help with some fruit.
  • Shyon90
    Shyon90 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    what is the goal of your training? strenght? lose fat? definition?mass?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    hunger pains are not forever. a full glass of water is enough. power through the hunger pains, they will go away. your body can go a long time without food. check out leangains or eat stop eat. some believe it is beneficial to do cardio in a fasted state.

unless it has been more than 24 hours since you ate, hunger pain doesnt mean you HAVE to eat. try it for awhile. I bet they go away. good luck
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    what is the goal of your training? strenght? lose fat? definition?mass?

Endurance really - Whilst I am lean, I haven't ever been fit enough to run far or strong enough to even lift myself. It's purely fitness. Obviously hoping to lose the slight mummy tummy at the same time, but not anything more than a few pounds.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    hunger pains are not forever. a full glass of water is enough. power through the hunger pains, they will go away. your body can go a long time without food. check out leangains or eat stop eat. some believe it is beneficial to do cardio in a fasted state.

unless it has been more than 24 hours since you ate, hunger pain doesnt mean you HAVE to eat. try it for awhile. I bet they go away. good luck

I didn't know this - thought the hunger pains were a sign I needed more fuel for my workouts. I can give the extra water a shot.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Eat more pre-workout.

Proper pre-workout nutrition is ESSENTIAL for good performance, you should not be getting hungry mid session.

The intermittent fasting (eat/stop/eat) that has been mentioned is effective but will be complete change to you whole style of eating, it would be easier just to address the problem at hand.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If anything, drink a sports drink (gatorade, etc) while you're working out. I don't know what the ideal intake is during resistance training, but while doing cardio, aim for 1L/hour. Also, only do this if you spend over an hour working out overall.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Eat more pre-workout.

Proper pre-workout nutrition is ESSENTIAL for good performance, you should not be getting hungry mid session.

The intermittent fasting that has been mentioned is effective but will be complete change to you whole style of eating.

for a morning endurance workout, "proper pre-workout nutrition" would be the day/evening before (imo)

mid session feeding is unlikely to "fuel" a workout as digestion takes more than a few moments. coffee or a quick acting simple carb source may give some quick energy, but for endurance training as the OP is doing, the fueling period would be hours before the actual workout.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    If anything, drink a sports drink (gatorade, etc) while you're working out. I don't know what the ideal intake is during resistance training, but while doing cardio, aim for 1L/hour. Also, only do this if you spend over an hour working out overall.

imo, gatorade is garbage unless doing a marathon or something and gatorade is all that is available.

I wouldnt drink gatorade period.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your goals are and what sort of training you do, but when I used to do tri training for any bike rides or runs over 90 mins I would take a bit of home made flapjack with me. I also used to like taking salted pretzels when your stomach doesn't want anything sweet and on hot days it's nice to replace the salt.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    When I ride my bike for several hours I can burn thousands of calories. I other eat a protien or power bar before I start back. Gives me the little hit of energy I need to make it home.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Wouldnt eat mid way through a workout. Fill up on protein before your workout....and I usually drink water while I work out. Our bodies send a similar signal for hunger as thirst...so you will prob feel the pain decrease once you consume some water.