Problem -- arthritis

Options
My arthritis in my knees has kicked in big time due to weather conditions. I am barely able to move around,
let alone do much more than swimming and not putting weight on my knees. That part is great. BUT walking is
tough. I am not willing nor ready to have my knees replaced, but I am getting frustrated and depressed with
the pain aspects of this disease. I've tried synvisc and cortison injections, they work. BUT I can't do anther until
next month after the 27th....any ideas on how to keep going and not give up to the pain? I am determined NOT to
have the surgery until the last possible time I can't take it anymore. Doc agrees with me, I wouldn't be a good candidate
unless I am willing to work just as hard at rehab....and there are many reasons why I can't do that yet, including no help at home
and no $$ to pay for it. Support would be graciously appreciated.

Replies

• StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    I also have Arthritis... Rheumatoid arthritis actually, the juvenile strand and had it since 14. Some things that help me keep going is a topical ointment (prescription) called Pennsaid (anti-inflammatory) that I apply before activity to the affected joints. Also, motrin or Naproxen helps with inflammation (especially during flare ups). Not sure your kind of arthritis, but have you looked into Enbrel or Humara? Both offer assistance with the paying of it straight from their sites if you find this to be helpful. These are for rheumatoid though, not osteo. Also, ice massages help a great deal. After you walk, use the ice massage on the joints (knees in your case). Do this by getting a paper cup and filling half full with water. Put it in freezer and allow it to freeze solid. Once you get back from walk, tear the cup down until a bit of ice is out... then rub over the joint completely. It's cold but helps a ton with pain and inflammation.
    Hope that helps maybe offer a bit of aid you hadn't been directed towards previously
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm sorry. It sucks to be in chronic, unrelenting pain. Maybe try a pain clinic? It has helped me some with my disorder.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    My ex had pretty bad arthritis and seemed to get some temporary relief from foods high in cayenne/ginger.

He also really enjoyed spicy food, so even if it was just the placebo effect, he liked it anyway :P
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hi there so sorry to hear about your knee problems, I also have arthritis in my knees as well as a shattered knee cap (right), they both hurt like mad when I walk. I have braces for both knees which help the stability issue a great deal, but of course not the pain. That, as the other poster mentioned, is probably best dealt with pain medication, no-one can make the choice for you regarding pain meds. My knees hurt a lot when I walk, but over the past 6 weeks I've been able to increase the distance and speed with which I walk, but I had to start slowly and at short distances. I still avoid hills like the plague and never go near stairs! Give yourself very small goals and a huge self congrats when you complete. It's not easy, it's not pain free, but neither is it impossible, one small step at a time. My thoughts are with you, and very, very good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need someone to chat with.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have some messed up flat feet and I have arthritis in my ankles/feet.

I manage the pain with coffee. Caffeine definitely helps. I also take Tylenol. I'm not a drinker so I'm not using my liver anyways.

When I don't want to drug it up, I use an EMS/TENS machine to shock my feet. It actually works pretty well. I just attach electrodes to my feet (and sometimes my knee), plug it in and turn it on. You should be able to Google it. Amazon would be a good place to start looking for one. Keep in mind that the contacts have to be replaced when they are no longer sticky. I have one from HealioHealth called the Dual Stim.
  • Silverniki
    Silverniki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a kind of rare type of inflamatory osteo-arthritis which acts more like rheumatoid in that the joints get red and inflamed and I've just discovered a product that allows me to walk with a lot less pain. They are called ErgoMates and they are an anti-fatigue mat that you strap over your shoes so that you're walking on this rubber cushion. I use them on both my running shoes and my SAS sandals and what a difference they have made. I could hardly walk a block on cement and now I can walk a mile or more. I also use a Voltarin rub (anti-inflamatory) when my joints are sore. Anyway, the link to the ergomates is http://www.ergos.ca/ .I know how awful it is when you can hardly walk and I hope some of the suggestions will help you. I should also mention that doing aquafit for an hour, 5 days a week, while using a flotation belt to take some weight off my joints, has really helped my mobility.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I don't have arthritis.. .but both of my hips are totally shot and I'm only 18. I've had any treatment under the sun that you can think of.. including surgery. They're still bad. A GREAT low impact exercise is swimming. I love it, it's so relaxing and it actually is one of the best work outs for you!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I have just been recommended tart cherry juice. It's only my second day on it, so can't tell if it working yet, but will be interested in any other suggestions. I can't take any anti-inflammatory meds, so it's difficult to control my arthritis.

Good luck x
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have damaged calcaneal bones (heels) that have erosive and sporadic spurs right by the achilles tendon with bone fragments that have broken off and imbedded into the tendon itself - and due to the flare ups Ive been having, Im an RA candidate that they are running some genetic testing on.... the act of walking with these massive honkin' huge flat feet-of-hell combined with RA flare ups is an ohhhh-so-beautiful thing (sarc..)

One of the things that actually does make a difference for me with the intensity of the flare ups are the fact that my dietary intake is pretty close to 100% all natural (sorry, but I do love a beer on occasion with dinner)...

Everyone else who said anti-inflammatories - I give it two thumbs up. Our patients at work are told the same exact thing.

Proper form, good personal physical therapy to the affected area also helps - you can even use the hot or cold therapies during that as well.

And always always always - listen to your body. If you feel like its too much... stop. Swimming is the number one exercise on joints for those with joint-related pain of any type. Keep doing that and make sure you keep your PCP and Rheumatologist up to date with how you are doing and dont be afraid to rely on them for help....
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have used cherry juice extract, from the local health food store. it works wonders on imflamation. Doesn't take it away the pain completely but it does help a great deal.

My Wife has RA and embrel is a great product. There is EMbrel Support that will help pay for it, however you do have to have some type of medical insurance to help as well as it is rather expensive. She has been on it for about 5 months and has noticed a considerable difference.
  • valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    hi, depending on what medication your on you could just up your painkillers and make sure your taking your anti-inflammatory tablets regularly. making sure your not missing any doses. and i take 30/500 co-codamol every four hours when i'm in a lot of pain. i have also cut back on how much omega 6 i'm getting in my diet and that's helped me too. i'm in the UK so in foods that's things like sunflower spreads and stuff like that. i have noticed a difference.
    You have also to be kind to yourself. you can still eat good and be ill at the same time. you may not loose weight as fast but you also need more rest and energy so your body can heal itself a little. I've done a bit of cleaning this morning and bending down low has made my feet swell up so I know i have to sit for a while with them up so they can rest and my body help itself.
    As for exercise well you could try chair exercises for a few days until your knees are up to moving around with out you being in so much pain. I invested in a gym ball, and it helps me do gentle exercises that don't hurt my legs hips or knees. look online and you'll see they are a great help and you can do legitimate work outs on them. i think mine was £4 from amazon. also if you have any stretch bands you can do a lot with them. my physio got me into using them.
    I hope your feeling better soon. Don't give up. Do be kind to yourself.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I forgot to mention that you can buy one of those peddling machines and put it on the table and use your hands to make it peddle instead of your knees. You get a lot of good exercise that way. You can also try it on easiest resistance and see if you can possibly do it on your legs but if not, at least you ARE exercising. You can also lift weights for your upper body and do "sitted" exercises like "Sit and Be fit" (they have DVD's for people with arthritis/fibromyalgia) and even a seated "yoga" type exercise tape that I found on amazon. Where there is a will, there is a way...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Marcy-Mini-Bike/17272594

http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-flexibility-circulation-stability-Developed/dp/B0012YN35M/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1341198354&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=sit+yoga

Always consult with your Physician before beginning an exercise routine. Good luck
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump for later