It really IS all about the numbers.

Options
I am Larry from Oklahoma, 45 years old and bigger and less healthy now than I have ever been. I can't say I am new to MFP, but I am "new again." I used MFP back in 09-10 and loved what it did for me. To me, the very concept of losing weight and getting into better shape had to be based in reality. I had to learn to ignore the people on TV pushing their magic sprinkles, or pie charts showing me a "healthier' way to eat fried chicken and chocolate cake. Worst of all, they try to tell us that the :numbers" have nothing to do with a successful overall health improvement. I am calling BS on that.

What I have learned is that it is ALL about the numbers. At least it is for me, because without them, I have no idea what I am putting into my body, or how much OF it. For me, it's all about awareness. I am back at square one again and I NEED this structure. I've done it before and I can do it again. It's not that hard. People say it's hard but it's not. Maybe it's not fun, and it can be a pain in the *kitten* to form new habits, or to get up and move, but it isn't hard. It's as simple as knowing what needs to be done and just doing it because it's necessary.

Here's now simple it was for me, (and will be again): I put myself on a strict 1800 calorie a day diet, consuming several small portions throughout the day, and nothing but water to drink.. As for exercise, it was gradual. At my heaviest, I started out walking. Slower pace, shorter distances, and a gradual increase on both. After a while I was able to introduce other forms of exercise. Believe it or not the Gazelle was the best thing I ever bought. Yes I actually used it LOL. The best thing about my diet is that on the weekend. It didn't exist. I ate what I wanted, and as much of it as it took me to be satisfied. But trust me. The weight melted off of me. I am not sure what that TYPE of dieting does for the body, but I didn't complain, because it worked for me. And it worked WELL. Pigging out on the weekends on anything I wanted really kept me from falling off the wagon.

So here I go again. Wish me luck!

Replies

• britteaux907
    Options
    I enjoyed reading this. I too last year was in shape and fit I was 5 pounds from my goal weight and then I met my husband and everything kinda went down hill. I hope everything works out for you I know for me I want to get to my goal weight this time and I won't stop for anything. Thanks for posting.
  • MrsAFR
    MrsAFR Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have it all worked out. Well done for making the commitment. I'm trying to lose my baby weight which i've had for 18 months now so not sure if I can call it baby weight any more LOL. I started on Saturday and have been doing well so far.

Good luck!
  • Nottm1984
    Nottm1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Defintely agree on this, I still can't believe the amount of calories in some foods and the difference between what I used to consider a portion and what a portion is deemed to be on the packet! Watching the numbers really helps for me, I'm back on the MFP wagon again after various stresses and excuses and am enjoying feeling in control. I also agree with the weekends off concept, it helps me to know I have two days coming up where I can be more relaxed about things and enjoy a bit of indulgence, I'm sure our bodies appreciate it too as in the past I got good results from this.
  • thickgurly
    thickgurly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading your story. Welcome back to mfp and i hope it all workout for you again.