After ulnar neuropathy - can I ever lift weights again?

Options
About 12 years ago I got heavily into mountain biking when I was too overweight and damaged the ulnar nerve in both my elbows, especially my left elbow, which was so bad my pinky and ring finger were numb for nearly a year. I had to wear a splint for a while, got shot up with steroids. I didn't go for surgery, since I researched it and found there was a low success rate and high chance of chronic severe elbow pain.

Over time it got better, but I get a slight flare up if I spend too much time at the computer or after a long bike ride. After I rest it, the problem goes away again. I wait at least a week between really long bike rides, and no more mountain biking.

My question is, once that happens, can you ever lift weights again? My doctor told me back then not to do it, but I'd really like to do something. I would like to get some decent upper body strength.

Replies

• 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Ugh - what a terrible injury. I'm sorry to hear about it. I don't know the answer to your question but I wonder whether swimming might be a way of getting a stronger upper body until you can get some good medical advice on whether you can lift weights. I know swimming won't build muscle the same way heavy lifting will but it should make your upper body stronger, at least as an interim measure. Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer either, but I have issues with my ulnar nerve as well. I had the EMG test (OUCH!!!) and they couldn't pinpoint where the damage was. I have noticed some issues while biking, but if I change my hand position it goes away. For me at least, it's similar to carpal tunnel (which I also have LOL, some days, all 5 fingers are numb). It's such a weird feeling to have only half a finger go numb though too. I thought it was so odd that the ulnar nerve only feeds the pinky and half of the ring finger.
  • NotGivingUpDammit
    Options
    Well, let me say that you really don't want to mess around with this. Don't overdo the bicycling....