TONED ARMS - how many times a week

Options
should I be lifting weights? I do three different weight lifting exercises (concentrating on underneath the arms, chest and shoulders) at 15 x 3 reps.

Any advice would be great. My arms aren't huge but I crave definition!

Replies

• Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Weight training is a MUST in my opinion! Push-ups are another great exercise to help with arms!! Mine are slowly coming into shape with strength/resistance training.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Try dips. They are great for the under arm area. This is where things get jiggly as we age. Yes, do use weights. You will love the way your arms look.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a regimen, but since I've lost a lot of the muscle tone in my arms, they just look fat. So, even if I may never get the fat % down in my arms (I've never had 'thin' arms), I can at least give the illusion that they're slimmer by adding muscle. I do push ups and dips a lot, but I've started reintegrating free weights until I can get to the gym and do some more serious stuff.
  • KailaJordan
    Options
    Try dips. They are great for the under arm area. This is where things get jiggly as we age. Yes, do use weights. You will love the way your arms look.

Oooo, what are dips?!
  • Danab1976
    Danab1976 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would say 3 times a week - shoulder presses, pushups and flys are my main go-tos and I have some pretty serious definition for my body fat percentage :)
  • Jeebs71
    Jeebs71 Posts: 41
    Options
    Try dips and the TRX machine if your gym has one. My PT had us doing loads of arms stuff on the TRX last night and really feeling it today. Also if you take say 3kg hand weights, extend your arms straight out to the side then slowly circle your arms 10 x forwards and 10 x back that also helps your triceps. I am having the same problem just now, have been going to the gym for 3 months and PT training for six weeks now and beginning to see some definition on my upper arms - well chuffed :o)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    should I be lifting weights? I do three different weight lifting exercises (concentrating on underneath the arms, chest and shoulders) at 15 x 3 reps.

Any advice would be great. My arms aren't huge but I crave definition!

15x3 or 3x15?

Sorry not being awkward but just trying to figure out if you're doing heaps of max reps or just high-rep/low weights.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    If you want to define your upper body, ditch the ickle dumbells and the isolation moves and start doing pull ups, press ups on your toes, bent over rows, lat pull downs, shoulder presses, get benching etc.
  • KailaJordan
    Options
    I do 15, 3 times. Sorry for the confusion!