4 inches off the waist - HOW?!

I've been reading into waist to hip ratios and measurements for the female body... I've wanted a smaller waist for a while now and have set a goal at 4 inches. Can you anyone please give me advice on how to reach it?!

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    i'm sorry to say it but as you are already slim you may find that you can't just change your body like that.

Without surgery to have ribs removed or years of corset training your waist will only go so far down before it stops - your bones and organs etc need a certain amount of space.

I'd try working hard to lose some more body fat but of course that will make you leaner all over so if you just want to spot reduce you may find it tough.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I'm with the above poster.. Can't spot reduce at all.

You can do exercises that will reduce all over body fat, but it won't necessarily be in the waist.. nor will be be exactly 4 inches either.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    You are lean and lovely now based on your pictures. I agree with those that already posted. It is unlikely you could take another 4 inches off of your waist. It is even more unlikely you'd be healthy if you did. Why would this be a goal for you?
  • Well, my measurements are 34-28-36 and I'd really like a more hour glass figure.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Thing is, if you lose more weight you'll also lose off your bust and hips so you won't have a more hourglass figure - you will just be smaller all over. I'd advise looking into some decent shapewear and clothes that accentuate your waist. you can make yourself look curvier with clever dressing.
  • ms_walker
    ms_walker Posts: 30 Member
    Thing is, if you lose more weight you'll also lose off your bust and hips so you won't have a more hourglass figure - you will just be smaller all over. I'd advise looking into some decent shapewear and clothes that accentuate your waist. you can make yourself look curvier with clever dressing.

Great advice!
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Zumba Zumba Zumba! Since I started taking Zumba classes a couple of months ago the inches have been just flying off my hips and waist. :) Otherwise, I would try working on your abs with weights. Good luck!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

This. Additionally, an hourglass figure is more a function of genetics than diet. If you are large busted and wide hipped, it will make your waist appear slimmer and thus hourglass. You can't make that happen if that isn't what God gave you. I can assure you that you are quite lovely the way you are. Many ladies wish for the long lean yet shapely look you have. Love the you that you are.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    You're slim and gorgeous with AMAZING legs.

If your waist to hip ratio isn't exactly where you want it, that could be because you're still quite young and have a more "girlish" instead of "womanly" figure with fuller hips. Or what you have right now might be your ideal figure, and if that's the case... you've been dealt a pretty sweet hand. :smile:
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Well, my measurements are 34-28-36 and I'd really like a more hour glass figure.

Hourglass measurements are the bust and hips are within 2 inches of each other and the waist is at least 9 inches smaller than both of those. I agree with the other posters you can achieve this look through shapewear, even just a padded bra would give you the look of an hourglass figure. But use what you got, your legs are gorgeous.
  • Thank you so much for the compliments, I really appreciate it. :blushing:
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    You could also look into building some more muscles in the booticular and thigh area, I know that's what I'm going for. Makes your waist look even smaller ;) Heh.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Thank you so much for the compliments, I really appreciate it. :blushing:
    As some have mentioned, you're smokin'
    No doubt.
    And if you are like some of us working toward peak fitness, you just want to be your very best. You know what could be better.
    As for spot reduction, forget it. Sometimes it just is what it is based on genetics, and the most miserable we can ever be is in a quest for what is unreasonable.
    Answer for yourself: can it be done? Is your goal possible?
    Here is my disconnect.
    For me to get back in size 30 pants, I would need to reduce so much overall that it just is not worth it.
    I'd be this scrawny guy with a thin waste and no size.
    I will just weigh the whole picture and be happy in my 34 pants as I balance size and strength with lower body fat.
    And you must really set for yourself a similar order of priorities. What's the cost?
    Only you can answer.
    Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    You could also look into building some more muscles in the booticular and thigh area, I know that's what I'm going for. Makes your waist look even smaller ;) Heh.

I addition, working on your shoulders can help to give a more hourglass shape.

You do look great. I think we all have something we want that is genetically impossible and tend to downplay our natural good fortune. For example, when I had a 24 inch waist, I'd have traded it in a heartbeat for your long, thin legs in place of my short, somewhat stocky ones :).
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Wear clothes that accentuate your waist, and flare out at the shoulders and hips. (a-line or pencil skirts to show off the curves you do have / structured, well-fitting blazers / puffy sleeves / belts at your natural waist or higher...they can help give the illusion of a more hourglass figure.)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    No, you can't spot reduce, but heavy lifting helped me lose 15 inches overall including 4 from my waist. (and 7 from my butt)