What is TRX?

Options
AmandaJ
AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
Signed up for a gym today and in the membership fee is free classes. One of them on the sheet is TRX. I could call the gym but thought I would just ask here.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it.
    Fill me in too, please.
  • Desiderata
    Options
    i believe its a multi strength workout, so its an allover body strength exercise.

288747.png
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Check out this website...it's training with suspension rings.

http://joeysgymclass.com/?p=123

I did a google search - as I hadn't heard of it either!
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Here's another one:

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

I found the following someplace else:

Bill Schoonmaker leans forward into the black straps hanging from a metal bracket on the ceiling in the Dover exercise studio.

In essence, Schoonmaker is simulating rowing using his own body weight as resistance.

"I like this because it's not particularly tough on your joints like using weights," said the Durham man. "I like it better than using weights because, to me, it's more dramatic. You really feel like you're doing something as opposed to just sitting in one spot."

Created three years ago by Navy SEAL Randy Hetrick and his teammates, the TRX Suspension system uses lightweight straps that simply need to be anchored to something — anything from a door frame to a tree.

Then a person is able to use his or her own body weight to create resistance while training.

No need for stacks of free weights or bulky and expensive systems like a Nautilus or treadmills and elliptical machines.

That is what immediately intrigued Lynne Vachon, a Pilates instructor and personal trainer, who owns the Oak Tree Pilates and Fitness Studio on Third Street in Dover.

Here was something that could be used not only in her studio, but also by virtually anyone, anywhere
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Every gym I've been to has either a separate sheet explaining the classes or an explanation on the back of the schedule. Maybe check for that the next time you go in. Classes with the same name can vary between gyms.
  • 55scooke55
    Options
    TRX is a really good all body workout using a suspended pully system. DO IT!!!!
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I was wondering what that track with the black things hanging from it was. I will ask about it more tomorrow.

There are several classes and while my friend works out with me, she can't take the classes with me. I am trying to decide which class would help me the most. I weigh 164 pounds, I carry most of my weight in my stomach and butt and need lots of cardio. The classes are TRX, Physioball, Spinning, Kickboxing and Yoga.
  • aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Spinning!!:love::love: :love:
    I don't have a HRM, so I don't know how many calories I burn doing it, but I know I sweat more in spinning than anything else. And since you are in charge of changing the tension knob on your own bike, you can really adjust to your own comfort/fitness levels, and it's easy to push really hard if you want, or ease off a little if you're not having the best day. Good luck!