Anyone know what exercise to do to get rid of baby belly!!

Options
Hi there! Im Debs, im 27 and 12 months ago i had my daughter.
I have lost 9.2lb already since march, but i was really wanting to know if anyone could suggest a good exercise that can tone up my stomach and hips. When i had my daughter she was 9lb 6oz and my belly was huge. I dont have many streth marks, but my hips are massive now and my belly has been left abit saggy. Just wondered if any mums out there would know if exercise could help get me back to how i used to look. Im not bothered about my stretch marks as they have faded now, so you cant see them as much.
Thanks all :flowerforyou:
Deborah xx

Replies

• Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi Debs, I use a combo of Strength training (you could continue with your Kettlebell routine,but they need to be relatively heavy) ,cardio (HIIT) and eating at a modest deficit. It has taken me about two years but, I wasn't rushing it (Im enjoying the journey). You have to be consistent with your exercise and eating good proteins.

I have also recorded off the Sky Health Channel: Jillian Michaels "Killer Bums & Thighs, also "30Day Shred". As well as Bob Harpers "Get Ripped" and his "Weightloss" workout. So no need to spend money on buying their DVDs. They are super effective and will work you hard. I use these on the days I don't go to the gym. Everything is achieveable but, it takes time and commitment. Try to up the pace on your workouts and keep pushing. Tinax
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I have heard that speed walking helps burn belly fat, and I've been speed walking everyday and I see a bit of a difference. I also play tennis, so I think that is also helping.
  • Rosie010
    Rosie010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend hoola hooping! You can buy the weighted ones (davina mccall has one - 9.99 from Argos) 15-20 mins a day is great for toning hips and tumming - I always use one before I go on holiday and it makes a big difference. Plus, its handy to fit in as you can just do it for 10 mins here or there in front of the tv or in the garden.
    Well Done on your weight loss so far, I've lost 5lbs, 7lbs to go!
    x
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Tina your awesome with all the work you have done to get where you are today, your so determined! Im going to have to start knuckling down with the exercise now. Yes i do my kettlebells, but still on a smaller one compared to yours. I do aerobics and i have a lateral thigh trainer. Yes i do lots of walking with my daughter in pushcahir anyway and i can see the difference in my legs and my stomach is more toned now. I have a hula hoop too, but im useless with it, cant get the thing to stay up. Been trying with it, i know that once i get it ill beable to keep going longer with it. Just takes alot of practice :-)
    Think im just fed up as i have been unwell for the past 2 weeks and i havent been able to exercise, so no weight has come off.
    Rosie, your doing brill!! Well done.
    Thanks for all the help, ill try and get my bum in gear and exercise more :-)
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that burns calories will help with the fat on your belly - you can't spot reduce.

However, you will probably benefit from exercises that get your abs and core back in shape. You may want to avoid crunches/sit-ups until you've got your core strong. Your abdominal muscles may have actually split down the front. If, when you do a crunch, you get a little ridge down the middle of your tummy, that's because your abs have split and you need to do core exercises to get those back into shape. Google "core exercises" and try some of those. Doing planks in good form is very helpful. So are kegles (that squeezing thing you do to your pelvic floor, like when interrupting a stream of pee.)
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    Losing overall body fat, because you can not spot reduce, will help your stomach. I personally agree with heavy lifting and some cardio 3-4 times a week. The heavy lifting has done wonders for my baby belly, although I have stayed the same weight.
  • mspohn1299
    Options
    Good tips! I'm going to share those with my daughter who has a 2 yr old and 9 mth old and says her stomach muscles are shot!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Definitely try hula hooping!! Since I have started, in 3 weeks I have lost an inch off my waist. Lost inches elsewhere also. But mostly, you have to get the fat off your entire body. Keep on losing weight!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Flatter stomach starts in the kitchen sister :) Plus, remember we are WOMEN - a bit of a belly is NATURAL! :)
  • Smrhoads
    Smrhoads Posts: 31
    Options
    For me, the only thing that is Making a noticeable difference in my belly is running. I have been strength training for two years now; it was slow to go in the belly area until I hit the treadmill hard. I now do 15 miles a week and it is melting off at a faster rate.

Babies can really screw up a body! I look like a zebra from my belly button to my knees from stretch marks. I will be so happy when my kangaroo pouch of a belly is history!