Low carb meals for a vegetarian?

Options
140Aimee
140Aimee Posts: 77 Member
Hi! I'm just looking for some low carb vegetarian meals if anyone has any please let me know, thanks! :)

Replies

• Amisha136
    Amisha136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I like tofu carrot scramble.

You take a block of firm or extra firm tofu, drain it, then put it between two napkins and lay it in a colander with something heavy on top to drain more. Meanwhile, you take a bag of shredded carrot and saute it over medium heat in a large pan in a few tablespoons of water. When the carrot shreds are firm but cooked, you crumble the tofu into it. Add sesame seeds, a tbsp of sesame oil, and soy sauce or Bragg's liquid aminos (or Tamari) to taste.
  • 140Aimee
    140Aimee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I won't lie... it's tough to find a lot of good low carb vegetarian meals-- or at least it takes effort I'm not always willing to expend :) My favorite is a taco salad-- Morning Star Crumbles with some taco seasoning on lettuce, with salsa, a few olives, bit of soy cheese and soy sour cream. It's pretty much my go to. Along those lines, I make a fake chiken ranch salad with Morning Star Chiken Strips, lettuce, homemade ranch, olives and salsa. Ooh, I also make baked eggplant with polenta-- for my husband (I'm vegan, so mine is a little different), I peel and slice the eggplant and use a laughing cow wedge or two with some parm mixed with italian spices topping. Bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes, it's delicious! As a side, I serve a bit of lightly fried polenta with a spinach and artichoke topping, but you could skip it and have a salad with the eggplant.

Hope this helps!

ETA: Another favorite in my house is zucchini boats... Hollow out a zucchini with a spoon and salt and pepper lightly. Mix together ricotta (or tofu), parm, and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Then use the filling to fill the zucchini and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. We used to make calzones and calzone boats (hollowed baguettes), but we moved to zucchini boats and haven't looked back.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash with grilled or roasted asparagus and freshly grated parm.

Most stirfry with tofu or just veggies.

lettuce wraps with morningstar crumbles and veggies.

There are quite a few vegetarian foodie blogs.

www.acouplecooks.com

www.naturallyella.com

www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com

Once you start looking at blogs they'll reference other blogs and you can go from there.

OOohhhh a couple cooks makes a veggie paella you could sub out the rice for lentils for less carbs...thats yummy!
  • cwb2478
    cwb2478 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Salad I very my salad's a lot. I add a few chick peas, black beans all kinds of veggies. Tofu marinated and grilled. Thanks for the tofu scramble I was about to look that up. I do pretty well with greek yogurt I like the plain fage yogurt it has 23 grams of protein (i still can't get over that) and i blend in fruit to sweeten it. Mix in some flaxseed and cocoa powder, and a little cinnamon and your golden. It's not as sweet as regular yogurt but you get used to it and lots of protein and low carb.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm just looking for some low carb vegetarian meals if anyone has any please let me know, thanks! :)

Seitan! It is high protein (18g), low carb (3g), and low fat (1g).
    Tofu is great, too but not as great at 10g, 3g, 5g.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that it is so easy to make your own hamburger crumbles. You can buy a bag of TVP (textured vegetable protein) for about $3. Most popular brand is Bob's Red Mill. And from there you can make meatballs, sausage, meatloaf etc.
    The biggest advantage of making your own is slashing the sodium. And of course you save a ton of money.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    HAIL SEITAN!!
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that it is so easy to make your own hamburger crumbles. You can buy a bag of TVP (textured vegetable protein) for about $3. Most popular brand is Bob's Red Mill. And from there you can make meatballs, sausage, meatloaf etc.
    The biggest advantage of making your own is slashing the sodium. And of course you save a ton of money.

Woah thats cool, Amanda...Im going to look for TVP
    thank you