Constant soreness

Options
Good morning! Ow.

See, I'm still new to this whole "really putting effort into exercise" thing. Am I supposed to be sore every day? It's not debilitating, except for my heel on bad days, but I'm wondering if I should be sore 3X a week, every day, if I shouldn't be sore more than once.

Is being sore a perpetual state of being for people who are already fit?

Yes I feel the benefits, no I probably won't stop exercising the way I am, I would just like to know if it's what I get to "look forward to" every day for the rest of my life.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt and after a while it will be less and just a little stiffness the day after a typical workout, If it's a lot more than that consistently, you may be overtraining on your workout days and may want to cut back on volume while keep same intensity.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Gotcha. I just recently changd my workout routines a couple of weeks ago and started getting the soreness just about every day right around then. So I guess I'll wait a couple more weeks?
    I like the idea of cutting the volume, but I think that's my laziness coming back *^_^ so I'll wait it out a bit longer before I do that.

Thank you very much!
  • Linda345
    Linda345 Posts: 11
    Options
    There was a time earlier in my life when I was weight training, and I was always sore. I just never seemed to recover. I no longer have that problem and I am currently weight training intensely. I only have mild soreness with a muscle group the day after I work out that muscle group, but that's about it. I think my biggest problem before was that I was not getting enough protien.

Here are some things I believe help me recover faster and not have much soreness:
    1. I make sure and consume suffient protien. I don't rely on what "myfitnesspal" tells me I should have for protein. I use other online macronutrient calculators for the activity I am doing. Here's a calculator that works for me http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa64.htm
    2. I drink lots and lots of water.
    3. I stretch during every workout session.
  • Linda345
    Linda345 Posts: 11
    Options
    One more thing I should have mentioned: mucsles need sufficient recovery time. A couple of days before working out the same muscle again is usually best.
  • hope76579
    hope76579 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am new too. I just had my one month anniversary of moving forward towards fitness. I started as a completely sedentary person and now I bike, walk and weight train. I was very sore at first.
    My suggestions are to vary your workout so that you are using different muscle groups, if it hurts rather than just burns stop it and try something different and push yourself but don't exhaust yourself. Hang in there and congrats on your healthy choices!
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    Linda - Thanks, I have only just recenlty started really varying my workouts; treadmill jogging one day, bike and rowing machine the next, elliptical the third, weight groups differ every day. But I will absolutely try to get more protien - meat got a bit too expensive when my boyfriend lost his job. But now we can do beans and tofu more (well mostly beans, sometimes tofu gets up there in price). Now that i think about it my protien has been really low lately and that might be key to my soreness issues.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    Hope - Yay fitness! My fat butt has been exercising regularly for a couple of years now, but I've only recently gotten really serious about it. Congrats on going from sedentary to active! Sometimes it sucks. Like when you're sore every day =P
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Your heel?

That might be a shoe issue.
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Second day is always worse........but as you stick with it, you won't get sore afterwards.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i just read the same topic in my other fourm i post on its also called mfp (myfirstprison) gald to read in here its just about exercising too much , trussssssssssssssssssssst me theres worse things that could happen whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    stfuriada - The heel I'm not sure about. It feels like my tendon is really irrritated - much like the tendonitis I used to get in my shoulder and right arm (that sucked, let me tell you) - but with some stretches and soaking in a foot tub it's usually better by morning. though I am pretty bad about replacing my shoes in a timely manner. *looks at soles of her shoes* they're supposed to be baby-bottom smooth right?

aaronf289 - Oh I know! I like the soreness after a good weight session or when I work on the rescue farm, I just get lazy and cranky when I'm sore every day =) But I will stick with it! Ow.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    yobhcir - Heh, I kind of hope it's not exercising too much! After almost 25 years of despising exercise I'm finally getting into it! But hey, maybe I'll take it easy at the beach tomorrow and count it as a "rest day" =D
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am constantly sore but I like to keep my exercises changing so my body doesn't get complacent. I also upped my protein and make sure to stretch really well.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    Jetabear10 - Thanks, I think stretching and protien will help me the most =)
  • FranWins
    FranWins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The protein may be an issue, potassium may also be an issue. When I was working out rigorously and weight training, I found that eating a small or medium banana after a workout usually helped prevent some of the soreness.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Options
    Franwins - Yes we have no bananas! Lol, actually we have bananas. That's a good idea though, I shall do this thing =)
  • MrTypical
    MrTypical Posts: 24
    Options
    If your heel hurts go see the doc, it could be a real issue. If it's muscle soreness it's called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). It comes from lactic acid build up. It's usually at it's worse two days after the excersice. Your body will get better at dealing with the lactiic acid in your muscle and DOMS will get much less severe in a couple months. The good news is it means you are pushing yourself in the gym! Tough work out + good nutrition = progress. To help with DOMS drink alot of water, stretch after your workout, keep up the hard gym work so your body will adapt to the new strains you are putting on it, and give your sore muscle 3 days to recover before you hit them again.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Google Plantar Faciatis. That could be the heel issue. It's an inflamation of the plantar tendon that goes from the end of the achilles around the heel and under the foot. I've had it and it is no fun!