Advice for the last 10lb

Options
Any tips to help get through those tough last 10lbs?

I'm yo-yoing up and down by a 3lb at the moment and can't seem to shift any lower. Advice please!

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Well that was helpful.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The last few pounds are hard, because you are at a healthy weight and you have much less margin for error with your calories. How long have you been yo yoing? What does your current plan look like?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for the answer to that too! I'm watching what I eat, exercising daily and it's going soooo slow now. Hopefully some experienced 'losers' can help us! Good luck to you too!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Yo-yoing for a couple of months now. I lost the 5lb I gained while on holiday and over Christmas and then hit this plateau.

I'm on no specific plan other than trying to eat more healthily and walking more (I don't want to get into a 'diet' mindset instead of a long term lifestyle mindset).
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Took a peek at your log--I think you need to get back to the basics:

1) Log everything, every day.
    2) Try to meet your calorie goal. Several days that you logged, you were well under your goal, netting less than 1200 calories.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I've been slack logging lately and am trying to get myself back on the horse with a healthier attitude. Plateaus are a sod for giving motivation a sound kicking!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Same issue here.....I've lost 90 and the last 10 is the hardest. I've upped my cardio and as of today I'm going back to a strictly pescatarian diet. I've fallen off that since starting a second job, but I lost/maintained my weight so much better when I didn't eat a lot of red meat/poultry.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I'm also pescatarian. I love fish and probably need to eat more to be honest!
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    patience and discipline is all I can think of... I am right there too :)
  • madamchoochoo
    madamchoochoo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ah me too.. i didnt have a lot to lose but the 10lbs is to get back to pre kids weight.. its not shifting, but then again im not as strict as i was pre kids!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    My discipline is a strange egg. I've got enough to give up meat, caffeine, cigarettes, drugs and alcohol, but can't seem to keep at it with this. Argh.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I fell off the pescatarian wagon for a bit, but I'm back. :)
    Also gave up cigarettes, soda (really anything with HFCS) and white carbs (except where sushi is concerned).....I will never be able to give up caffiene, nor do I really want to. LOL
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming" in Dori's voice. It is harder the closer you get.

What is working for me: Eating my TDEE-10%ish. Calculated BMR~1400, Calculated TDEE~1800 w/o exercise, eating ~1650. I am doing cardio 3x/week and strength 2-3 times. I have started not eating back exercise calories during the week and eating over my goal on the weekends (alcohol and eating out). I am trying to have my weekly net as close to my goal as possible. I should be losing 0.5lb/week but last week I lost over one pound.

I plan on upping my calories to 1700 next week if I lose more than 0.5lb this week. I would like to figure out what my maintenance calories are before I get there.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Also, I am trying very very hard to eliminate most processed sugar from my diet. I still cave and have a small amount of chocolate very day. And I am trying to eat at least 100g of protein a day, as my calculated lean body mass is 100-105 pounds.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I'll try the TDEE-10% thing and see how it goes. I must confess the thought mildly terrifies me though!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    At the last 10lbs it comes down to hormonal response.
    You should have about a 10-15% deficit with frequent refeeds at or above TDEE to trip Leptin response.
    Carb cycling helps with this as well.
    Take a walk every few days on an empty stomach for about 20-40 mins or take a walk for 10-15mins after you lift weights while fasted.
    The trick isnt just oxidizing the fat out of the cell but actually mobilizing it and moving it through the system to be used as fuel.
    Otherwise the cell just reabsorbs it.
    Also you can test what areas will go last.
    Place your hand on the trouble spots.
    If they are cold then thats the last spot to go generally.

Check out Lyle McDonalds The Stubborn Fat Solution.
  • bear2905
    bear2905 Posts: 8
    Options
    I plateaued for months and thought I'd never break past a certain point - I was super annoyed, and a little obsessed. What happened with me is I went away for 2 weeks for a training program, and so my diet and exercise routine completely changed. I was eating only 3 meals per day (no snacks, no alcohol. Water & tea only. Often just a big salad for lunch with chickpeas). Instead of swimming 3 x per week, I was now walking a ton, at a fast pace. All of the sudden, I noticed my jeans felt looser. I got home and had lost 6 lbs without even thinking about it or trying.

So my point is, perhaps completely changing focus - like doing a totally different exercise + changing up your diet will do the trick. It did for me.