Caloric Intake and Output

Options
Learning about weight loss and nutrition is still a little new to me; therefore, I don't think I fully understand how calories in and out completely work.

My BMR is 1030. My recommended calories without exercising is 1200, with exercise 1826. I understand 3500 calories make up 1 pound. If I want to skip exercise for one day and not gain anything-- do I simply eat only 1030 calories or the 1200? Secondly, if I want to continue losing 1 pound a week and have exercised to permit the 1826 calories, do I simply cut my caloric intake that day by 500/550 calories (based on 6 day week); otherwise, if I ate the 1826 calories permitted it would equal to same calories in and same calories out.

Can someone please advise if I am understanding this correctly? I have been exercising, but just not eating the total calories permitted.

Replies

• Desiderata
    Options
    Ignore the fact of what 1 lbs equals to in calories. You wont need that.

The only thing you really need to know, the basis of losing weight when it comes to calories, is ingesting less calories than you burn. MFP says you need to eat 1200 calories a day. Without exercise and eating the 1200 recommended amount, you'll lose weight. You're still maintaining the deficit calories per week that you need in order to lose weight.

Once you throw in exercise, you're increasing the deficit. But because MFP has already added the deficit, you need to eat those calories consumed or youre metabolism will slow to match the dramatic decrease of calories, and you wont be losing anything.

For example, you consume only 1000 calories, and then go for a 30 minute run. You now have burnt about 300 to 400 calories, and have 700 left. Ingesting less than 1000 calories in itself will slow your metabolism, thus, no weight loss will occur. the 1200 calories you're supposed to eat should be the minimum, give or take 150.

If you're exercising to burn calories, you should do so if you've gone over your daily recommended amount. Otherwise, concentrate on strength training, and light cardio.

Did this help?

288747.png
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Wait, your BMR is 1030? You must be a tiny little thing.

can that be right? How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Agree with Boss on this one. I'm 5 feet tall and weigh 90 pounds and my BMR is 1080.
  • priceless
    Options
    I am 5' 1" tall. I currently weigh 112, but am working my way down to 107 where I feel my best.
  • priceless
    Options
    Yes - it does make sense. I am going to proceed with your advice --- I have been a little afraid to consume all the calories allowed by MFP. Well, we'll see how my journey goes. I am having fun, and to be quite honest ... have TONS of energy!! Thank you!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yikes that's a super low BMR, but I guess if you're that tiny, that's probably in the right area. Still, I'd be careful, and expect it to take a while to lose weight. Having so little to lose, and having such a low percentage to begin with, it's going to be a lot more difficult than for someone with say, 40 or 50 lbs to lose.

One piece of advice I can give you, don't compare your weight loss to others on here, you're in a totally different situation than anyone else (we all are).

But keep at it, eat healthy, exercise, and stay positive, you'll get there!