Chicken in the Crockpot

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
I've got six breast in the crockpot as we speak and no idea what to do with them. They will be falling apart by the time I get home so this will obviously have to be some type of shredded chicken recipe. Any suggestions?

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use some in tacos.. I roughly chop some up for casseroles or salads. I use my crockpot to cook a bunch for the week and use them that way. :) I just put some pretty neutral seasoning on it so it can work in different types of recipes
  • lciupa
    lciupa Posts: 48
    Options
    I cant be the only one who kinda giggled at the "^ breasts in the crockpot". I think I'm overtired...

What did you put in with them so far?
  • katlyndstewart
    Options
    I don't know what your personal tastes gear towards. I tend to go towards anything that has a bit of a kick to it. But if you look around this site, I'm sure you'll find plenty of things that suit you. I've found loads of things there that have turned out fantastic!

http://crockpot.betterrecipes.com/crock-potchickenrecipes.html
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I cant be the only one who kinda giggled at the "^ breasts in the crockpot". I think I'm overtired...

What did you put in with them so far?

Nothing. Just in water. I usually like to shred and use for different recipes too. Just hoping for something different. I usually make chicken and dumplings with them.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I like to cook mine all day with bbq sause...so yu8mmy with some corn on the cob and a salad !

I also use cream of chicken soup and throw in some veggies or just make some potatoes and pour the soup mixture and chicken over top !

shredd it add some chili powder, sour cream, cream cheese, salsa and shredded cheddar mix well and roll them in flour tortillas place seam down cover with more cheese salsa and bake YUUUMMMMMO
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've got six breast in the crockpot as we speak and no idea what to do with them. They will be falling apart by the time I get home so this will obviously have to be some type of shredded chicken recipe. Any suggestions?

do you add anything to the chicken when you are cooking them along? Like broth?
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    hot sauce and ranch powder= chicken wing sandwiches
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add a bit of olive oil, water and a packet of dry Italian Dressing
  • ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    love to cook chicken with salsa in the crock pot..gives it a kick
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Add a jar of salsa, a can of black beans, a can of corn and some taco seasoning.

Serve over rice.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I do the chicken breast with a can each of petite diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn. Then I add a tablespoon of Mrs. Dash Southwest seasoning. Once it is cooked I shred it and let it sit for just a bit to let the juices soak in to the shredded parts.... then eat any way I want!! Plain, on a bun, in tacos, in burritos, or whatever :bigsmile:

You could also just throw in a jar of your favorite salsa to make it easier :wink: But I watch my sodium and buy the ingredients low sodium/no added sodium to help out.

ETA: I see a lot of people replied with my idea while I was typing... means it is good stuff!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I would make a burrito bowl! But I have been craving Chipotle for a couple of weeks now...
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I put mine in burrito bowls, enchiladas or make chicken salad for lunch. This week I made Skinnytaste Chicken, Broccoli and Noodle Casserole with it. Delicious!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A packet of onion soup mix and a can of fat free cream of mushroom soup.

Also, I cook mine at night so it's not on all day when I'm at work, and then just heat it up when I get home.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    ETA: I see a lot of people replied with my idea while I was typing... means it is good stuff!

I've tried that recipe before. It is a good one.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    add a block of cream cheese, a jar of salsa and serve over rice or in tortillas....very yummy!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I took this from the Philly Cream Cheese Recipe page; I love this dish with shredded chicken. I steam mine in a vegetable steamer since the crock pot is a pain to clean and put away! I add corn and peppers to my enchilladas as well.

1 small onion, chopped 2 tsp. oil 3 cupsshredded cooked chicken breasts 1 can(14.5 oz.) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained 1 tub(10 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Santa Fe Blend Cooking Creme, divided1/2 cup KRAFT Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese 8 flour tortillas (6 inch)

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F. Cook and stir onions in hot oil in large skillet on medium heat 4 to 5 min. or until crisp-tender. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, 3/4 cup cooking creme and shredded cheese. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place in 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with remaining cooking creme. Cover. Bake 15 to 20 min. or until heated through.
  • Hubbafer
    Hubbafer Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Add a jar of salsa and taco seasoning.... :) Shred when you get home... (I also add a bit of cream cheese to thicken it) ...

Put on rice, or even wraps!!!

OR.... a jar of bbq sauce :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Hmm... I have some leftover steak and some frozen stir-fry vegetables. Maybe I'll make a combo stir-fry!