very random- question

Options
QUICK QUESTION FOR EVERYONE--- I have almost completely eliminated caffiene from my diet- maybe 1-2 cups of coffee a WEEK now and I drink water, ALL day- I have also added a significant amount of vitamins to my diet including vitamin E- HOWEVER my skin is still SO STINKIN' DRY even WITH daily lotion
WHAT GIVES- anyone else face this issue?
ADVICE requested-

Replies

• lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't drink anything with caffeine and never noticed a correlation with my skin. Perhaps it's just really dry where you live?
  • Brankica81
    Options
    I didn't dump that much caffeine, I drink a big cup of coffee every day or two days. Caffeine is good for weight loss so I will ask if you had to for medical reasons or something else?
    It could be that your body is just adjusting?
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If over the counter rems aren't fixing it, it might be time to speak with your doctor?
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If over the counter rems aren't fixing it, it might be time to speak with your doctor?

^this^ Thyroid issues can cause dry skin.
  • malibutigger
    malibutigger Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would say stop with the lotion for a whole week.
    if you are applying moisture constantly your skin will learn to rely on it and as its over greased it will go drier to combat that.

the more lotion the drier it will be.

ditch the cream and let your skin find it's own balance, can take a couple of weeks so maybe add a little baby oil to your bath but that's all i would do. and only a few drops.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    AZnewme - you beat me to the punch. I was about to say the same thing with regards to the Hypo-Thyroidism...
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have almost completely eliminated caffiene from my diet

The incoherant ramblings of a crazy person. How? why!? This both shocks and disturbs me.

Dry skin, doubt its caffeine / water related, i would be looking more at environmental factors, what could be drying it out?
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You may also be deficient in certain vitamins--D and E come to mind. Do you take a multi-vitamin?

you can also use olive oil on your skin for extra hydration. natural. way better than medicated creams etc (unless there is an underlying health issue). before you freak out--olive oil should not make you break out. I use it on my face all the time and it never causes any breakouts. just makes my skin feel smoother and softer :)
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    do you get enough fat in your diet? Also, try some olive oil,ingest or rub on.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    There are SO many reasons for dry skin.... the weather/air in your environment (indoor heating), hot showers/baths (too long and it dries out your skin), the soap you are using, too much soap/handwashing, the foods you are eating, etc.

If you are drinking lots of water and still not seeing a difference you might have to try something else. If that doesn't work you should consider going to the doctor...they could prescribe you a medicated lotion.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I didn't dump that much caffeine, I drink a big cup of coffee every day or two days. Caffeine is good for weight loss so I will ask if you had to for medical reasons or something else?
    It could be that your body is just adjusting?

Caffeine is a common food allergy. Though it does help with weight loss, in some people, it can cause other issues, including weight gain.
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It could also be the soap your using. Highly scented soaps makes my skin really dry.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    There can be lots of reasons for dry skin. Depends on so many things like your diet, physiological causes such as weight, age, hormonal changes, detergent, current medication, allergies or infections.

If you are in the UK I'd pop to the pharmacist first. If they cannot come up with something then it's time for the doctors. As much as everyone here wants to help, all we can do is point at possibles and that without seeing it and asking you lots of pertinent background questions.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Lotions dry me out horribly. On the other hand, a soak in salt water daily will make my skin sooo nice and soft. My body is one that adjusts to the demands. If the "oil" (lotion) comes from an external source, my skin refuses to produce its own oil. If I'm drying my skin w/salt water, my oil production steps right up.
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups of coffee a day the same way I have for years and don't notice anything different. I have, however, always been prone to skin problems and find the best remedy is to seek the advice of a doctor. He'll advise you on what over-the counter products (if any) you should be using or give you a prescription.
  • Scribetoo
    Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound like it's out of left field but.. do you take really hot showers?

I grew up in the desert and always used lotion and drank tons of water.. when I got to my early 20s, I was starting to get dry in spite of all my regular maintenance.. My dermatologist had me take down the heat in the shower and I noticed a difference in my skin AND my hair relatively quickly. Hot water opens up your pores and moisture escapes (yes, even in the shower).. when you turn the water off and your skin cools, the pores close again and they've already lost all that moisture.. so you're super dry. Using cooler water allows your pores to still open so you can get clean but you don't lose as much moisture because they don't open as much.

Also, lotion before you towel off and before your skin has cooled from the shower. That gives the moisturizer a chance to do it's work where it can do the most good..

Good luck!
    Stef
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Lotions dry me out horribly. On the other hand, a soak in salt water daily will make my skin sooo nice and soft. My body is one that adjusts to the demands. If the "oil" (lotion) comes from an external source, my skin refuses to produce its own oil. If I'm drying my skin w/salt water, my oil production steps right up.

^^Interesting, and good to know^^

I'm having the same problem. No hypothyroidism. I don't use soaps on my face (REALLY bad for you from what every Dr./Aesthetician's) has ever told me. I had no idea lotions could be contributing to the problem.......

Thank-you!! :)
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As other's have said might be a reaction to skin creams, body lotions and/or shower, bath stuff. I have dry sensitive skin myself (prone to eczema flair ups). I use very basic means to moisturise my skin, extra virgin olive oil before 20 minuets bed or when I step out of the bath. It never irritates and it works. I'm very careful about body wash and bubble bath choosing "baby friendly" formula's (usually I use a brand called Simple).
    If your not comfortable trying Olive Oil out (a lot of people aren't) give baby oil a shot after the bath/shower, I can't use it myself, it makes me all red and itchy but others swear by it even when lotions don't work. Honey and sugar scrubs are also good for ex-foliating off dead skin while attracting moister and can be used all over.Also the hot water thing, strange but true I was told the same thing. Hopefully this is vaguely useful :smile:
  • seardefilip
    Options
    Thanks guys- this is great- a lot to take in and respond to- will do on my lunch hour! THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance-

and to whomever asked about the caffiene- there was no medical reason, just personal pref- I was not sleeping great so just wanted to reduce my intake :) I don't deprive myself- if I want something I am going to have it- I am just having to retrain myself on boundaries and limits- :)

Again- THANKS will reply more later if I have further questions!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've battled dry skin all my life as I was diagnosed with Atopic Dermatitis at a very young age. Have you been to see a dermatologist? It could be some chronic skin issue.
    I doubt caffiene has anything to do with it, though....I've never heard of the two being related and I drink at LEAST a pot of coffee every day. :)
    As for me, I've gotten my dry skin under control by not wearing ANY makeup of any kind, quality skin care products (I use Proactiv), moisturizer (no flowery scented nonsense with alcohol, I generally use Udderly Smooth), I use all natural body wash/shampoo (Yes! to Cucumbers) and I do get a months worth of sessions once or twice a year at a tanning salon. I do NOT tan on any sort of regular basis, but the UV rays do help to control the symptoms of eczema. Go ahead and preach the dangers to me, I've taken them into consideration........it's risk versus reward for me, personally, and having dealt with the dermatitis for over 30 years, it's worth it.

My 2 cents :)

ps....also, coconut water!!! It's one of nature's BEST hydraters :) I put it in fruit/protien smoothies. :)