Anyone doing just "soft" exercises? Yoga, walks, etc.

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone is “just” doing soft exercises like yoga, pilates, walks, plus some strength and abs training…?
Are you getting any results? I am. I am watching my calories and doing these soft exercises.

I am not a runner, a zumba dancer or any other very high cardio exercises, but I do exercise…
But when I read all the post, seems that everyone is doing these… Am I the only one not doing these exercises?
It makes me feel a bit guilty not doing them…but at the same time, I feel I should respect myself and do the exercises I enjoy?
Or am I just lazy?

Replies

• nibblypig
    nibblypig Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi, I'm the same as you, I just walk and do the occasional workout on the Wii fit but we both seem to be losing so we must be doing something right. I don't feel guilty at all, I just do what I enjoy :)
  • heidimt2003
    Options
    If what you're doing is working then why should you feel guilty?! Personally I prefer the faster paced cardio stuff (except running. I hate running. It hates me back and tells me so every time I run.) like Tae Bo and Kickboxing. But that's a personal preference!

Exercise is hard enough - might as well do something you enjoy!

Have a great day. :-)

heidi
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, you're more likely to do it long term. As long as it is working for you and you're doing enough activity to keep healthy, then why change it?
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.

It's better to do things you like that will make you keep on doing it, and eventually increase their difficulty as your body gets used to it than do things you'd hate which would make you stop exercising altogether.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    80% of what we look like stems from what we eat (or so I have been told). Any exercise is good exercise...it doesn't need to always be high intensity.

You need to do what is right for YOU and what will help YOU achieve YOUR goals. :)

Good job!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube and search for Arthur and yoga. INSPIRING!!! (if you can't find it try adding Diamond Dallas Page Yoga)
    Here, I did it, this should take you to it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=relmfu
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I used to do pilates 3-4 times a week and it made me SO strong and toned. I was lucky to have an excellent instructor and a great class, neither of which I have anymore which is why I stick to running these days.

I highly recommend pilates, expecially if you can mix it up with some wicked cardio (I alternated days doing pilates and turbo kickboxing... I was in great shape).
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of that when I first got started. I was physically incapable of doing anything more high-impact. 30 pounds later, I'm running and doing Insanity, and I NEVER thought I'd be doing those!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I lost at lest two thirds of the 146lbs I've lost by doing soft exercise only. As time's gone on I actually WANT to do the higher impact things. I like lifting and hard elliptical these days.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner. All I do is walk (although I walk fast - usually 4.5 mi/hr 13:30 min/mi on avg). I also do a pilates DVD a couple days a week.

I've lost 42 lbs that way. I have a fitbit and it encourages me to move more than I had been for everyday activity (not really countable exercise).
  • mineboy
    mineboy Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I just do walking, walk about 50 kms a week, eat right but i enjoy what i am doing..
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    Yoga, fast walking, pilates, swimming, walking in the pool and I have toned from it.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yep - all I do is walk.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your fitness and weight loss goals. If you aren't seeing the results you want, you probably need to step it up and get more serious about sweating!

That being said...you can absolutely lose weight and keep in halfway-decent shape by just doing "soft" exercises, but if you want to get stronger and build muscle, it usually does take more....and who knows...as your fitness level progresses, you might surprise yourself and end up liking some things you didn't expect!
  • jumatwins
    jumatwins Posts: 74
    Options
    Oh my...thanks so much everyone ..I feel relieved...and not so alone anymore :-)
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Yoga, walking, strength training here!! I tried the running thing, but after a week had inflammed the arthritis in my knee so bad I had to have a cortisone injection to relieve it, so now i just stick to the walking.
  • Bekah1125
    Bekah1125 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not doing anything hard either, I walk on the treadmill for an hour, and then do some strengthing, but that is all.. I am getting results too
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i have lost 33 pounds by watching my food and doing workouts at home including wii fit plus, leslie sansone walking dvds, occasional Jillian Micheals dvds and some basic strength using hand weights and body weight. also i walk in the neighborhood sometimes when i can get away without the 4 kids.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you a question. If you were to change to something else, like heavy lifting or cardio class or running, how long do you think you would keep at it? My guess is not very long bc you dont WANT to do it. I couldnt stick with Atkins or no caffeine or any other specialized diet bc I dont want to. I want to be able to eat what I want and that is why I lose weight. Youre sticking with what you want and it seems to be working for you.

And Im pretty sure that if I ever tried a specific diet plan, I would last about 48 hours and be grumpy for all 48 of them. Do what you like and what works for your body. :)
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I take power walks and do Leslie Sansone work out DVDs. I find that anything more 'hard core' just generally turns me off of exercise. I enjoy walking and make sure to tackle hills to add intensity. I get about a 300-400 calorie burn per 35mins of power walking or the workout dvd while wearing my HRM.That's fine by me.