Clothing advice

Options
Maybe those of you who have gone down several sizes can help me out with this? I've lost a couple of sizes and now my clothes that used to be too small are getting too loose. I'm quickly reaching the point where I need to get some new clothes. I like good quality clothing and would rather have a few really nice pieces than several pieces of lesser quality. I work in an office where we dress business casual. I'm excited about getting new clothes, but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on stuff I may only wear for a few months because I still have more weight to lose to reach my goal. So I'm wondering . . . for those of you who've been through this, what did you do in the interim? And . . . let's say I was able to buy a dozen or so new articles of clothing: what items would you recommend? Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I go to re-sale shops. You can actually find nice pieces in nicer stores. I think you should get 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of dress pants (black and tan maybe), a black pencil skirt, and no less than 7 work appropriate tops if you are looking for 12 items.

Glamour Magazine does a spread every month of a month's worth of outfits using like, 4-5 pieces. Maybe look into that? They wear at least one of the items every day, but they do supplement with other pieces.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Go for the cheap and cheerful option! Your going to throw them away in a month or so, so why spend alot more money, save it to spend on activities or improving diet to push further!

Either that or take advantage of the 28day money back policy, but them, wear them, undo the stiching and take them back claiming they were faulty and exchange for a smaller size! he he he.... (note: the last option is illegal!)
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    a couple of thoughts....looking at re-sale shops is always a great option....you can ususally find like new clothing at a much cheaper cost than new.
    or
    if you want to buy new...go for the basics for now...black / grey pants, neutral color jacket or sweater (which ever you prefer), black / grey skirt. then get some tops to make them pop! with the bottoms being basic colors - you can wear them year round (if you get a 3-4 season material), and then you can splurge a bit with the tops so you will have a variety and not get bored :)

I wouldn't buy top of the line clothing until you reach your ultimate goal...I understand you will want good quality, but top of the line may not be necessary for this interim period.

clothing could be a way of celebrating each levels of your goals!
    Good Luck - with clothing and the lifestyle change!!!

p.s. another thought...when these don't fit anymore, pass them on to someone who could use them or sell them to buy new smaller clothes!!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I plan on having alterations done to several pairs of dress pants and a few pencil skirts I can't bear to part with. Cheaper than buying new, eco-friendly, and I'll end up with custom-fitted clothing!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of focusing on basics. When I lost weight a few years ago, I got some basic pants in black, grey and khaki and a skirt or two. Most of my tops were fine, so I didn't need to replace those. Stores like Ross or Marshalls are another good option, because they often have nice things on deep discount.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Dresses and skirts are more forgiving than pants; you can belt a dress on the way down.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Firstly, look at your colour scheme. What jewellery, shoes and scarves etc do you have - that might dictate the colour of items.

I base my work wardrobe round a touser suit - plain black pants and jacket would do for this, though it can look a bit sombre. Particularly in the summer, a beige is nice and neutral.
    Using your existing shoes/ scarves etc as a guide, decide on an accent colour (turquoise, coral, lime green, say).
    Pick a couple of tops that work with the suit, using your accent colours, and a dress that will work with the jacket. Choose a dress style than can easily be cinched in with a belt as you go down a size or 2.
    I also like cardigans as a jacket alternative - loose waterfall front ones will last you through several dress size changes better than fitted ones.
    Aim for items that will go with each other - the cardi or the jacket both work with the dress, cardi, trousers and a top for less formal days.

And I love hunting round charity shops, or discount stores like TKMaxx!
  • mmwien
    mmwien Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks, everyone -- great advice! Good luck to all of you in reaching your fitness goals! :flowerforyou: