Water, how much is too much?

Options
Is there such a thing as drinking too much water? If so, how much is too much?

I was NOT a water drinker for many many years. I would ALWAYS drink soda and lots of tea, now ALL I ever drink is water.

I was just wondering if someone can actually over do themselves on water.

Replies

• chellynn1983
    Options
    I went to a weight loss challenge meeting last night and we were told that the appropriate amount of water for you to drink each day is half your weight in ounces. so if you are 200 lbs drink 100 oz. of water .... hope this helps
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Kind of like money.

Just enough to solve your problems, too much will kill ya.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

You would have to try pretty hard to overdo. Usually happens when someone is trying to dilute drugs in their urine prior to a drug test.
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to know your weight, say 200 lbs, and then divide that in half, so 100. You should at least be drinking 100 ounces of water a day. If it is really hot and you are working out like crazy, then a little more. Hope this helps.
  • Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can actually die from too much water.... but that being said, you'd have to drink A LOT for that to happen. I drink at least 100 oz a day, but I don't drink anything else (except my morning coffee.)

If you drink 8-10 glasses a day you should be good.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty - no need to force yourself to drink a certain amount.
  • Magdalene2011
    Magdalene2011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have an aunt who drank several gallons a day - no kidding. Then she started having urinary tract issues, especially control problems. Her doc pointed out that overworking that system is no good, but of course good hydration is essential!
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I drink about 16 cups a day...from the calulations it says to have 12....but I haven't had any problems drinking this much.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Drink when you're thirsty - no need to force yourself to drink a certain amount.

I am with this, backed up by this: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

Which is not the only article I read at that time, they all said pretty much the same.

100 ounces seems way to much for a body to drink for me.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Water has to be digested just like food. Your body can only digest 8 oz of water every 20 minutes. The rest goes to your bladder. So when it comes to hydrating, if you haven't had water for hours then try to catch up by drinking 40 oz, only 20 did you any good. I used to count water just like calories. Now I make sure I ate least drink a bottle of water with each meal and 1 between each meal.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    This is the reference that I have to - 1 ounce of water for every 2 lbs of weight. Additionally, I drink an extra ounce of water for every ounce a caffeinated beverage that I drink.
  • peterson_jessica
    Options
    Water has to be digested just like food. Your body can only digest 8 oz of water every 20 minutes. The rest goes to your bladder. So when it comes to hydrating, if you haven't had water for hours then try to catch up by drinking 40 oz, only 20 did you any good. I used to count water just like calories. Now I make sure I ate least drink a bottle of water with each meal and 1 between each meal.

Very interesting! I have never heard this before. I should probably rethink my ~9 cups with supper almost every night...
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I work outside everyday, so I drink a lot of water!!!! It hits 100+ on a regular basis where I live
  • bigjax1
    bigjax1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    too much water will land you in hospital with all sorts of blood levels out of kilter... see it a lot

my daughter nearly killed herself water loading prior to a weigh in...(she is the other end of the weight spectrum at 84lb...(38.2kg) and it was a trick used to make it look like she had gained)