Can't even start..... help!

Options
I'm doing some workout videos at home, and am embarrassed to say that my upper body is WEAK. By weak, I mean I can't even do half of a lady push up from my knees. When the video has us do push ups, I can move maybe 3-4" and that's it. I can even get to the point of feeling that it's helping me because the strength just isn't there.

Do I just keep doing what I can and it will improve? Or is there another, more effective exercise I can do to help build some strength in my upper body?

Replies

• mrsshields
    mrsshields Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just have to keep at it....try doing some light weights to help build muscle. :smile:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    What about press ups against a wall ( standing up)
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you have no upper body strength try just holding a plank position for 30-60 seconds. Since you're having a hard time already, just hold the easy push up pose (on your knees and hands). After some time you'll gain strength enough to do push ups, and then try doing the regular plank position (on toes and hands).
  • ptbodacious
    ptbodacious Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have severe shoulder issues, so whenever it's pushup time I do wall pushups - hands shoulder-width apart, feet together about 12 inches out from the wall. I do plank-ups the same way, just with feet shoulder-width apart also.
  • madmum99
    madmum99 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am the same, my lower body is quite strong but my upper body is so weak I cant do the pushups eitheer. All I think of when I am trying is that if |I keep going then the little bit I can do will get easier and then I can make it harder/do more and eventually i will be able to do a whole push up. That is my mini goal anyway. Anything that helps streghten your upper body would be good, even if it is just 2/3 inches on a push up, keep trying xxxx
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I cannot do a push up on the floor, knees or no knees to save my life but I CAN do push ups against a wall. Look up standing push-ups on Youtube.com. Its much easier and trust me you will feel it in your arms.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What about press ups against a wall ( standing up)

I had shoulder surgery 4 years ago and that is what we started with to strengthen my shoulder.

Also:

Walk your fingers up the wall - like a spider
    Walk your fingers across the top of the table - like a spider
    Lots and lots of arm lifts without weights until you are ready for small weights - like 1 lb and then 2 lbs and then 3 lbs

You have to start small and don't get discouraged! You can do it!
  • hellohoney86
    Options
    thanks for all of the tips! I'll just keep at it and hopefully it'll come sooner rather than later!
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It'll take some time to get used to it and to be able to workout as great as they do on TV - keep in mind, the folks on the DVD are "pros".

I've been doing a Billy Blanks tae bo DVD for a few months now, and let me tell ya...it was not easy in the beginning. I couldn't keep up with his pace...couldn't kick high enough. I probably sat out a few exercises. But I kept at it. And now, I can do the whole thing all the way through and keep up with Billy's pace! :)

Practice makes perfect! So just keep at it!