I hate being the largest person I know

Options
I have nobody to blame but myself...I know that...but out of my group of friends I am the most overweight...and that just eats at my soul..we used to all be around the same weight...I started my weightloss journey for real when I decided I wanted to have kids and saw my friends were losing weight. I was married a year and it wasn't happening so I finally decided to stop trying and to lose weight first...I lost 5 lbs and decided to wait until I lost at least 30lbs..then boom, I got pregnant July 2011...Instead of gaining 25-60 lbs like an average pregnant person, I talked to my dr and a nutrionist and I LOST 15 lbs while in my first trimester...In the end I only gained back 7 lbs that was in fact the babys weight. I was very pleased..... I was however disgusted during my pregnancy when I was considered high risk even though I was so 'healthy' and when I had started the 3rd trimester I had to have nst's and ultrasounds weekly, which all were normal...but when I saw the paper for the rx for them and it said, morbidly obese high risk pregnancy I wanted to just cry my eyes out...that is the worst thing I have ever seen on a piece of paper with my name on it. Even more than my weight. Then he was born this past March and within two months in total since I got pregnant I have lost 25 lbs....I thought that was great...but I am still the largest person I know. I finally see my true image in the mirror and it disgusts me. I have well over 100lbs to lose to even be normal.......SOO here I am...Struggling, watching all my friends lose weight...I go to the gym as much as I can as a working mother and I have been tracking my weight and calories...But now I need more friends in my journey that run the same path...my personal friends are helpful but not on the same journey as me it just makes me feel more defeated. I don't want to do weight loss gimicks or crazy weight loss in 30 days, I want to lose it healthy and for good, the normal way...with healthy diet and exercise. I know it will take longer, but it will also last longer. I want to be under 200lbs before I have my next baby...thats about 100 lbs to lose! ugh..there I admitted it, you do the math...please don;t judge that I weight this much...Anyone with me to encourage eachother?? :)

Replies

• johnodriscoll3
    Options
    ugh, yeah thats the worst feeling ever, to look around the room and realize you're the biggest one there. I hate that feeling. Actually, let me rephrase. I HATED that feeling. All it takes is dedication, and time, and you'll eventually have success.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Judge? What's to judge? You are well on your way to a healthier lifestyle! Congrats on taking the first steps on that journey, and congrats on the baby!

You are already doing so well! Keep at it, and you'll be the envy of all your friends in the end. Not to mention, the happy, healthy mother to your kid(s)! :flowerforyou:
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    Same here... : ((

But, one healthy day at a time will change that... : ))
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You can do it girl!! MFP is so great in that you can find a hundred people on the same exact journey as you. You can get the support you need and lose that weight! Good luck girl :)
  • Sleigh414
    Sleigh414 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have already lost 25 pounds since the pregnancy, you are doing great! Keep it up girlie :)
  • MellyMartinson
    MellyMartinson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Judge? What's to judge? You are well on your way to a healthier lifestyle! Congrats on taking the first steps on that journey, and congrats on the baby!

You are already doing so well! Keep at it, and you'll be the envy of all your friends in the end. Not to mention, the happy, healthy mother to your kid(s)! :flowerforyou:
    I could not agree with this more. Keep up the good work. It is hard being a working mom with little kiddos trying to loose weight but YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • sheneverfails
    Options
    It's heartbreaking and frustrating and I am right there with you. I'm the largest person at both of my jobs, largest of my friends, second largest in my family, and it kills me. And I know it's my fault, but it's been a roller coaster ride trying to change.

You're not alone, and it sounds like you're on the right path. Feel free to get in touch if you like. I'm always looking for someone to support and be supported by. :)
  • NanaKK1234
    NanaKK1234 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    1st - Please add me as a friend. I have alot of friends here who have helped me along the way as I have helped them. I log on everyday, actually I am almost always on even when I am at work.

2nd- On 3/26/12 I started my journey here to a healthy me. I was 281 pounds, my legs and feet where killing me every night when I got home from work and my youngest son (23) and I were kidding around and poked his tummy and said oh your getting a belly. He is in the military and the most fit of all of us. His response was well look at that spare tire you have around you and then said you know I am kidding mom. I just replied with well it took me a long time to get this spare tire. When really it broke my heart. So here I am 90 days later and down almost 40 pounds. My goal is to lose 141 pounds, lol I will be here a lonnnnnngggg time.

Know you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have said so many times... I am SICK of being the largest person in the group! When I see fit people everywhere, I ask myself are you the only fat person. Lame thinking I know, but obviously part of my problem. Good luck! You are much younger than I am, but I need more friends too!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes 2.5 years ago...well no pregnancies but I was the biggest of my group of friends and it really started bothering me. I mean, to the point where I was starting to develop a type of social phobia, I'd think about how I could skip out on plans to meet up with my friends. Nothing I wore was even remotely cute or comfortable anymore... That was my breaking point. I had been overweight/obese for nearly half of my 36 years and most of the time my weight didn't bother me much but I had hit my heaviest a year after getting married and couldn't seem to get myself under control.

I'm so glad to hear that you're not interested in gimmicks and you're fully prepared for slow and steady loss. That has been the way I've done it and I've never been happier during a weight loss attempt before. No pills, no low carb, none of that. Just simple tracking and exercise and allowing myself treats here and there.

Feel free to friend me if you'd like! Would love to help support you!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I could not agree with this more. Keep up the good work. It is hard being a working mom with little kiddos trying to loose weight but YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I agree!!! :)
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've been the biggest one of my friends ALWAYS. And I don't want to be anymore.

You have the right attitude. Do it in a healthy way, a real life change that's doable, not in a crazy starving exercise every minute way. Don't feel guilty about time spent on yourself. Making yourself healthy is also for your kid(s). You can give them just that much more and be there for them longer.

Sometimes I think it's worse when you AREN'T the largest person; my sisters all have weight issues, and I'm right in the middle of the 5 of us, weight-wise. Being around my sisters, and their bad habits makes it "okay" for me to do the same. And if you aren't the biggest..you can say...at least I'm not as big as so and so.

Do this...make it about YOU, nobody else, no matter if it's your family or your friends. What do YOU want? How do YOU want to feel and look?
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Girl, I totally understand! It's even hard for me to look at pictures and see how big I am compared to my buddies. It's uncomofortable and awkward. Granted, my friends never made me feel this way, I still do. You totally have my support and I know that unless you've been there, you wouldn't understand. So please feel free to add me. I'm brand new to MFP and I'd love to give/recieve any and all kind of support. Keep up what you're doing! It'll show in time. Baby steps :D
  • lovenhppnss
    lovenhppnss Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, withou the kids. I've been overweight for all of my adult life and I continue to struggle. I am happy to support another person in the good fight. I've vowed to be healthier, to do it slowly and safely. It's easier with friends who understand.
  • MrsSexton2013
    MrsSexton2013 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Working and raising kids is hard work, and throw dieting in there and goodness, it's a lot on a plate! This has been a great support system for me already, add me if you like :) No one judges here and this is why I love it! I'm not just the fat girl here, I'm the fat girl trying to make healthy changes :)
  • latisha13
    latisha13 Posts: 1
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! ONE DAY AT A TIME YOU'VE ALREADY DONE HARDEST PART AND ADMITTING IT..... WERE ALL HERE TO SUPPORT YOU!!!!!! YOUR AWESOME AND WILL KICK THIS IN BUTT..........
  • aunverzagt
    aunverzagt Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree with another person who replied-NOTHING TO JUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're here. You're trying. You're obviously headed in the right direction by trying to do the right thing. That's what this site is for-support, tips, etc.

I personally have fluctuated weight since I signed up for the website. I was not the most regular member-I'd go days, sometimes 2 weeks before signing back on. It was because of getting down. It would seem like everything I tried didn't work. I'm like you-I have 70 lbs that I need to lose to get where I want to be. A daunting number. But, since I resumed using MFP, I'm working on my diet first, then my activity level (one step a time, right?), and it's helping. I've heard so much that following a Mediterranean diet is good, like Greek, Italian (NOT Olive Garden Italian though), Spanish food. So I have one of each: a Greek, Italian, and a Spanish cookbook. (Amazon baby!) It's not a diet in the way that Weight Watchers is. It's just trying to make better choices. I'm finding it helpful because it is giving me new ideas for things like cooking veggies, so I don't get bored eating salads all the time. Also, I'm trying to make it a habit of not going for bakery type goodies, which is a soft spot of mine. I get sweet, but a healthier sweet. It's slower going, but since I've weighed myself, I'm down about 2lbs.

I don't know if all this is really related, but maybe it helps. We're together in this!
  • kdilly
    kdilly Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm right there with you... so I can totally relate and would never judge. I'm also trying to lose another 100 lbs. before I get pregnant and even then I'll still technically be "overweight" which really makes me mad AT MYSELF. Feel free to add me as a friend if you wnat some support.
  • lindaschultz45
    lindaschultz45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as a friend. I've been on this journey now since March and have lost about 30lbs. It goes up and down since I'm working out 6 days a week but they say muscle is much better than fat......so as long as my clothes are fitting loose, I figure I'm doing something right.

It does help when you have friends who are battling the same struggles as you are. I love this site for the most part as you can get a lot of support from others.

Congradulation on making the decision to get healthy. Would love to encourage you on your journey. ; )

Linda
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I will judge you on the facts: You are a STRONG women - my gosh you lost weight while pregnant because you knew it was the best for you and the baby. You are courageous - You have decided on a goal and you are obviously courageous enough to make it. Your post was transparent, truthful and I thought beautiful. I'm rooting for you, though I know you can do this anyway.

Bless you!!!!