Vegetable soup recipes?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I have a ton of vegetables of all varieties, and am looking for some really yummy soup recipes. Can anyone help?

Replies

• gumster55
    gumster55 Posts: 14
    Options
    Vegetable Soup
    Makes 1/2 gallon

Ingredients
    2 oz butter
    4 fl oz olive oil
    8 oz thinly sliced onions
    8 oz small-dice carrots
    8 oz small-dice celery
    9 oz russet potatoes, peeled, cut into small dice
    12 oz small-dice zucchini
    6 oz small-dice green beans
    1 lb shredded savoy cabbage
    1/2 gal low sodium poultry and meat stock
    1 piece Parmesan rind, 3-in squares, cleaned (optional)
    1, 12 oz can plum tomatoes, with juices
    Salt, as needed
    Ground black pepper, as needed
    5 oz Great Northern or navy beans, cooked

1.Melt the butter with the oil in a large soup pot over low heat. Add the onions and sweat until wilted and soft, about 15 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
    2.Add the vegetables in the following sequence, allowing each to soften before adding the next: celery, potatoes, zucchini, green beans, and cabbage. Do not let the vegetables brown.
    3.Add the Chicken broth, cheese rind, and tomatoes with their juices. Partially cover and cook at a low simmer until the vegetables are just cooked, 20 to 25 minutes. Add more broth as necessary. The soup is ready to finish now, or it may be rapidly cooled and refrigerated for later service.
    4.To finish the soup for service, return it to a boil and remove the Parmesan rinds, if desired. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the beans and serve with grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.

Enjoy!

Contact me if you would like more recipes.

:smile:
  • eashelton87
    eashelton87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This recipe is super low-calorie (about 50 cals per serving, and zero points if you do weight watchers) and really easy, but also filling and flavorful.

1.) Spray large pan with non-stick cooking spray, add chopped carrots, zucchini, garlic, mushrooms and onion. Use whatever quantities you like - I normally use one entire zucchini, most of a bag of baby carrots, one whole onion and maybe 8oz of mushrooms. Cook all veggies until tender.

2.) Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and add 3 bouillon cubes in whatever flavor you prefer. Once the bouillon cubes have dissolved, add your veggies and let them cook in the broth for maybe 30 minutes.

That's it! Quick, easy and delicious! Plus, you can pretty much use whatever veggies you like. I think it would be good with some fresh spinach added in.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Saute onions and garlic in a tbs of olive oil, add a lg container of chicken broth ( low sodium) and a couple cups of water. Add all your veggies and let it come to a boil for about 10 min. Turn on low and simmer for an hour or two. Any veggie works, You can add beans, rice or pasta if you want.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • kristen_lynn
    kristen_lynn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    you can make soups out of ANYTHING. no recipe required. add broth/herbs/seasonings/garlic/onions/etc until it tastes yummy, and then eat it! :) one of my all-time favorites is -- 1 head of cabbage, sliced into strips and cooked slowly all day in a big pot of water with onions, garlic, and a packet of dry french onion soup mix. so easy, so cheap, so yummy and filling!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Chop up an onion and a few garlic cloves & sautée them in some olive oil. Then add whatever veggies you like -- celery, carrots and squash are always good. Simmer it all in some veggie broth.
    Then cook up some spicy ground turkey (I like to add extra fennel seed). Once that's cooked, add it to the soup.
    Finally, chop up some kale, and add that and a little milk to the soup. Voila -- Olive Garden's Zappa Toscana, only with more veggies. I also like to add lentils and chickpeas. Delicious!!!
  • dreamstate89020
    dreamstate89020 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok this isnt vegetable soup, but it is based on a vegetable and it is very good. I tasted tons of onion soup and I have my own recipe that I have had published.

Onion Soup

5 large sweet yellow onions ( Texas 1015's when in season are best)
    1 stick margarine or butter ( can use reduced fat also, but I don't )
    3 cans beef broth ( unfortunately I do use the salt one as this is the only seasoning)
    1 1/2 cups chardonnay

slice and quarter onions, add butter or margarine. Cook till soft, about 45 minutes. Add beef broth and chardonnay, cook till hot. I freeze this in the small freezer containers and it will last months. I do not put the croutons and cheese on top of it, but you could use fat free cheese if you chose. I have altered the recipe to more wine, no salt, reduced fat butter, but this as is tastes best.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    eashelton, may I ask why you cook the vegetables in the over before you add them to the water? I have always just thrown the fresh veggies in the water and cooked to make soup. Does cooking them before hand give a different flavor or texture? (This is not a smart alec comment, it is a legit interest question.) Thank you.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    6 vegetable soup

Made this today and it tastes amazing! Its also incredibly filling!

4 cups any colour peppers diced (Dice a cup of it finely and keep aside till the end)
    1 cup diced zucchini
    2 cups shredded cabbage
    1 cup diced Chinese Eggplant (long eggplants. Cut this last because they turn brown as soon as they're cut.)
    3 cups sliced mushrooms
    2 cups diced spinach
    1 cup onions
    1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    8-10 cloves garlic
    Crushed red peppers (as much as can be tolerated)
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    8gm or 1/2 package Clubhouse La Grille Chipotle Peppers Marinade
    1 container Campbell's no added salt chicken broth (very important that it be no salt added! the marinade has enough for the whole recipe)

Take a big pot and add the oil. Saute the onions once the oil heats up. Add the rest of the veggies and saute well. Keep one cup of peppers aside. Don't add it yet. Add the Chipotle Pepper marinade and garlic. Add the broth. Keep moving it around until its soft and almost cooked. Put the whole thing in a food processor and grind till it becomes a roughly ground paste. Add this point add the finely diced one cup of peppers and boil for a minute or two. Add the lemon juice and crushed peppers. Voila! Soup's ready! You can also keep a cup of any other vegetable aside to add at the end if you like.
    Optional - sprinkle some cheese or croutons on top before serving.

Makes about 7 servings of 1 cup each
    1 cup = 90 calories