Weird bruises all over my leg, not getting enough nutrients?

Options
Ok. i don't know if this is related to my diet or what. but in the last couple days, i keep waking up with these little black bruises all up and down my legs, mainly on my calves. what is going on. i didn't injure myself that i know of. some one told me i could deficient in vitamins? i dunno. what do you think. can not having proper nutrients cause weird unexplained bruising.? also, another quick question. is it possible to pull a muscle behind your knee from running. cuz while i was running, the back of me knee felt weird, like it was going to give out,? thanks.

Replies

• amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you find out, let me know, because I have always bruised easily, but I am getting enough nutrients, so I really don't understand it. Its been something that has plagued me since childhood. I bruise ridiculously easy. :-/ I fell over my daughters toys like 2 weeks ago and got a big baseball sized bruise on my leg and it didn't even hurt at all when I tripped. So annoying.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for anemia?
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I believe that if you are low in iron(anemic) that you tend to bruise easily. Maybe ask your doctor to test your iron levels.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get to the doctor to get that checked out. There are lots of simpler things that can cause bruising like anemia and vitamin deficiencies, but it can also be a sign of something more serious like leukemia (that was how one of my former bank customers was diagnosed). Don't mean to be alarming but please go to your doctor and ask for some blood work to know for sure what's going on.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Edited after giving it some thought. It might well be a dietary issue or a drug interaction problem if you're taking any medications. My mother would bruise oddly for no apparent reason. The Doctor finally decided that she was sensitive to something in the environment, and it was a sort of hyper-allergic reaction. She also bruised something awful anytime she had to have dye injected for a test.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I have the same problem! I usually get little bruises on my upper thighs and sometimes on my midriff, and occasionally I'll have a huge one on my calf when I don't remember injuring it at all. I am slightly anemic, so maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know. It makes my legs look pretty bad especially since my skin is really pale.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I've had this my entire life. When I was a teen my doctor assured me it was a potassium deficiency, so I don't really worry about it anymore other than trying to take vitamins regularly. Unfortunately, I do think many people assume I'm getting beaten by someone, which is absolutely NOT true :noway:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor IMMEDIATELY. Weird bruises can be a sign of ITP (essentially, not enough platelets), which, if untreated, can cause you to bleed to death. Also, weird bruises can be a sign of leukemia.

Sorry to be alarmist, but I had unexplained bruises as a kid, and the pediatrician told my mom to take me to the emergency room immediately. Turned out to have been the right move.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    This is probably a doctor issue vs a MFP issue. You may need labwork. That being said... I have this issue and my labwork all came out fine. I'm simply an easy bruiser. I look badass all the time :wink:
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    not sure what would cause it...maybe like another said anemia. are u logging all your foods? just wondering cause it doesnt seem like enough.Just string cheese for lunch? Maybe it is a nutrient thing?---especially since you are working out a lot and not taking much in...Not sure...just an idea
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem because I was deficient in vitamin C. Once I got that fixed, it totally went away. Something about inhibiting how your body absorbs the iron or something......
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get to the doctor to get that checked out. There are lots of simpler things that can cause bruising like anemia and vitamin deficiencies, but it can also be a sign of something more serious like leukemia (that was how one of my former bank customers was diagnosed). Don't mean to be alarming but please go to your doctor and ask for some blood work to know for sure what's going on.

This crossed my mind too. I knew a little girl who battled leukemia for half of her life. Unexplained bruising was her first symptom too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Iis it possible to pull a muscle behind your knee from running. cuz while i was running, the back of me knee felt weird, like it was going to give out,? thanks.

It's called knee strain. Make sure you do some type of warm up before taking off running. To help the problem now Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation with some anti inflamitory (motrin, etc).
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    strange, i woke up last week with bruises all over my legs, mostly on the back of my calves...someone mentioned vitamin D, but i think I will take a multi and get checked out soon.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you visit your doctor to let him/her find out for you. I have been experiencing the same problem - so easily bruised! I had my annual physical just this week, and talked to my doc about it. I'm not anemic, and all of my blood work came out fine (potassium, etc.). She ran another test for platelet functions, and I'm waiting to hear the results of it. Again, check with your doctor please!
  • hrose1127
    hrose1127 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    two things that may be a culprits (and easily solved):
    1. not getting enough iron. Start taking SlowFe. It is MUCH easier on digestion and can be found at any drug store.
    2. have you been taking aspirin lately? Aspirin is a blood thinner. And can cause you to be more susceptible to bruising. Super annoying, but you can either lower your dosage or take it only every other day. Look at your headache medicine active ingredients =)

hope this helps.
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I agree-see a doctor for some blood work
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    If you find out, let me know, because I have always bruised easily, but I am getting enough nutrients, so I really don't understand it. Its been something that has plagued me since childhood. I bruise ridiculously easy. :-/ I fell over my daughters toys like 2 weeks ago and got a big baseball sized bruise on my leg and it didn't even hurt at all when I tripped. So annoying.

I bruise amazingly easy, too, for my whole life. I even got a black & blue last time I had a massage. I asked my physician about it - even though he still did a complete blood workup and all was normal - he said some people are just like that and it's not all that uncommon. Some people just bruise more easily than others.

What you would need to worry about is if the black & blue marks are not going away in a timely fashion (not healing). That's an indication something might be wrong, like iron deficiency.

It didn't hurt me to see the doctor and have him run the bood tests. Just seeing that all the results were normal helped alleviate my concern/worry.

Be gentle to yourself and be well! Cheers! :smile:
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    strange, i woke up last week with bruises all over my legs, mostly on the back of my calves...someone mentioned vitamin D, but i think I will take a multi and get checked out soon.

Maybe it was D...... I dont remember. I started taking a multivitamin gelcap and it went away within a week and has not returned.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    I've had this my entire life. When I was a teen my doctor assured me it was a potassium deficiency, so I don't really worry about it anymore other than trying to take vitamins regularly. Unfortunately, I do think many people assume I'm getting beaten by someone, which is absolutely NOT true :noway:

Me too. My mom used to worry that my wonderful, loving husband was beating on me! Not true :-)