quick question to the runners.

Options
do you have a preferred running shoe? Or would normal tennis shoes work?

I NEED to buy new shoes( seriously I have no rubber sole to my old tennis shoes), and I have been working on starting the couch to 5k program... along with a few others... but I was wondering what shoes would be best.

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options

I NEED to buy new shoes( seriously I have no rubber sole to my old tennis shoes), and I have been working on starting the couch to 5k program... along with a few others... but I was wondering what shoes would be best.

Please go to a running store and get fitted for proper running shoes. Running in tennis shoes is just asking for an injury. Good luck!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Go to a professional running store and have them help you and get you fitted. Very important. I use Vibram Five Fingers.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and try on different brands. It's important to have the right fit and a shoe YOU like. A good store will have staff that can recommend shoes based on how you run/what kind of stride you have.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Get fitted at a sports store. Every foot is different!
    It's really important to have proper running shoes, for comfort and to prevent injuries.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options

i don't have a preferred shoe, but definitely get one with support and that fits you properly. When I first started running which wasn't that long ago I was wearing an old beat up pair and got the WORST blisters on the ball of my feet...

My advice: buy good supportive running shoes, stock up on GOOD socks, and Dr. Scholls moleskin. http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Moleskin-Padding-Packages/dp/B001EPQG1M (you can buy this at any drug store, or walmart etc)
  • QuirkyPanda
    QuirkyPanda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted at a running store! Getting the right shoes has been so helpful for me and for my hubby. It can be a bit pricey (we paid ~$115 for each pair), but it's so worth it.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    People have different feet so if you are going to start out running you really need to go to a good running sports shop who will check out your feet and let you try some trainers out on the treadmill whilst they film you.

Check out the Runners World website to see what type of feet you have. If you wear shoes that don't suit your feet it can cause injury.

Good luck with the running, I hope you catch the bug!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

Please go to a running store and get fitted for proper running shoes. Running in tennis shoes is just asking for an injury. Good luck!

^^THIS! I started a running program in the wrong shoes and had to be sidelined for a few weeks because I messed up my knees and had awful shin splints. Went and got fitted at a running store and haven't had a problem since. This is especially important if you have high arches, flat feet, or pronate when you run/walk. (I have flat feet and over prontate).

That being said, I REALLY love the Brooks brand. They offer shoes for every type of gait. I've had two different pairs and they hold up really well, and once I knew what type of shoe I needed, didn't cause any pain what so ever. Plus if you go to their website, they can help you try to self evaluate your gait - however I would only recommend this if you don't have a running store near you that you can get personally fitted at.

www.brooksrunning.com
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    Find a place that will analyze your foot and fit you for a proper pair based on your arch, pronation/supination, and how you run. There are places like this all over. But they are usually specialty stores. Unfortunately large department and chain sporting good stores don't usually have employees trained specifically in this area and the employees will try to up-sell you. The pair of shoes that I wear may be perfect for my foot, but may fit you horribly and put you at greater risk for injury. Good luck with your running and never underestimate a good pair of sneakers.
  • Dyngyldai
    Dyngyldai Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A specialized running store is not generally a place where you can get good advice on foot wear and the prices are often quiet high.
    It's probably best if you learn to run in a few different shoes. My strategy has been to buy highly recommend shoes on sale and mix them into my rotation. Try on everything. Don't buy anything unless you can run in it first.
    Also, keep in mind pronation (which is generally the main thing that running store employees look for) has almost zero scientific evidence as to what shoes will work for you.
  • MrsSnelly
    MrsSnelly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said to go to a running store and have your running stride/gait analyzed to see what type of shoe you need. But after that, once you find the type/style that works for your feet, find them on sale at a department store or other chain-type sporting goods store; you can often find last year's model for a decent price.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Splash out on being professionally fitted once, When you have a make and model that suits you perfectly, you can but online for a fraction of the price next time, often in last season's colourways. The future potential injuries you head off with the right shoes are worth every penny!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

YES I do have preferred shoes, and shoes not designed for running would be a very poor choice of footwear for running.

go to a running store and get them to check out your gait, and suggestions for shoes. having the right footwear for running is ESSENTIAL!! good luck!
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    you've already got some great advice ^^ and there is also this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/649528-new-running-shoes

definately you need proper shoes and the way to get them is a gait analysis which all good sports shops will be able to do for you.

the shoes will then depend on what suits your feet/gait best and some shops even offer a 30 day money back guarantee, I know Sweatshop definately do.

Good luck with getting the shoes and also with your running.
  • lamerek
    lamerek Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more -- go to a running store (or VERY good athletic/sports store) and ask to get fitted. Bring along the socks you usually wear, as well as your old sneaks so the staff can take a look. They know their shiz-nit, and it's worth the money to get it done right. It will save you lots of aches and pains later!

Also, consider purchasing some good running socks. DON'T wear cotton, as it absorbs sweat and can cause blisters and other foot problems. I love SmartWool running socks, but there are lots of brand/types at various price points out there. You want a sock that is for running. Some are wool (actually AREN'T hot!!! I swear it!), some are synthetic, some are a mix. I'd try one pair before you go all in with a particular type.

Congrats on starting your running life! :)

kate.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I hope you catch the bug!
    Today, was my first day doing it. I normally just walk, an hour and come home to do something else.... Note, I only ran/jogged the distance between two power poles... then walked three... then ran... keep that up for my normal walking distance... now after an hour's rest(and eating my lunch) I am want to do it again... though I can't, I have a meeting in two hours :(

I think, I caught it...
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've always preferred Asics and New Balance. I would never wear Nike or Adidas (for running, although I do have a pair to just wear around), they're made more for fashion and not running support.

But you should just go to a specialty store and have them look at your feet like everyone else said. And not a place like ****'s.