confused on what my calorie goal per day should be

Options
I live basically a sedentary life style, 8-5 desk job, my BMR is 1,750x1.2= 2,100 calories. I've read you should go about 500-100 under that for weight loss...but I'm not supposed to take in less than 1,800 calories a day. What am I supposed to do?

Replies

• Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hmm that's quite a high BMR... I wouldn't be too worried about going below it. Say - 1600/1700ish. Best thing to do is try it for a few weeks and see what results you get; then modify accordingly.
  • citherly
    citherly Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm 5'5 190lbs, 27yo. 1,750 was what MFP told me, elsewhere its up to like 1890~.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I would try this site http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.

I entered in your information and your BMR is 1654 before adding in the calcuaitons. I would take a look at this site. There are a few others and I have found that they are within a few calories of each other for your BMR before factoring lifestyle in.
  • ArmyRD
    ArmyRD Posts: 24
    Options
    I live basically a sedentary life style, 8-5 desk job, my BMR is 1,750x1.2= 2,100 calories. I've read you should go about 500-100 under that for weight loss...but I'm not supposed to take in less than 1,800 calories a day. What am I supposed to do?

If you are basically sedentary I would not use an activity factor of 1.2. I would either stay with the BMR range or only use 1.1. A simple rough estimate of your calorie needs can be calculated by multiplying your goal weight by 11.36. This is just a rough estimate but works for most people pretty good. Just be sure that your goal weight is reasonable, realistic, and reachable for your build, age, etc.