do you log everything?

Options
2»

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've found it is easiest for me to lose weight by logging everything I eat, except for spices. If I start skipping foods, then I start lagging on my log saying "oh yea...this isn't much I dont need to log." When in reality, it does matter. You could try logging every thing to see if it works or if that makes you batty over calories then stick with what you're doing now.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just weigh it the first 2-3 times and you will get an idea of your portion sizes. Remember that if you're eating salads regularly throughout the day, they will add up!
  • Minner_Tinner
    Options
    I log everything and if I can't get the exact amount I log it a little bit higher than it actually is. I'd rather be wrong with higher numbers then lower and ruin everything.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
    Lettuce and other leafy salad greens contain sodium, sugar and carbs. By adding everything you eat, you will be able to examine your over-all nutritional intake, not just the things you consider "important".
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    I log everything and if I can't get the exact amount I log it a little bit higher than it actually is. I'd rather be wrong with higher numbers then lower and ruin everything.

^ what they said!

I always guess higher, and I always track everything. If I had been doing so great with guestimating I wouldn't have a weight problem!
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I log everything = I feel like its easier to not log something unhealthy if I start a habit of selecting what I do and dont log

I agree !
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I know myself, and for me, it is a big YES to measure everything I eat! Since starting 11 days ago, I did not realize the "extra" amounts I was eating. For example, 1 cup of cooked brown rice was most likely 2 cups before. I was shocked to see a normal size 3oz piece of meat. 3oz was definitely not my typical serving before I started this. 1 TABLESPOON of a salad dressing that has a lot of fat (I really cannot stand fat free dressings), is detrimental for me if I go over that. IT DOES HELP!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Try your best to guesstimate and find "cup" measurements in the database rather than "ounces or grams" to make it a bit easier to eyeball. I would definitely worry less about going over with leafy greens than other veggies like corn, peas or root veggies but still, as someone else said, it can be a slippery slope, especially if portion control is your downfall.
  • Alluring72
    Alluring72 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do log everything (not the sugar free gum or mints) - I over guestimate on portion sizes - and my SO was very surprised at the calorie content of the vegan meals he is cooking for me - veggies can add up!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I logged everything when I started... from the gum I chewed, the zero calorie drinks, the celery, the herbs and garlic I cooked with, etc. I needed that sense of control.

Now I log 99% of what I eat. If I'm prepping veggies and eat a couple baby carrots, I don't worry about it. I put a slice of lettuce and tomato on my sandwich, I don't always log it.

The main difference now is my exercise calories. When i started here I wasn't working out as much. Now I aim for 400-500 calorie burn on exercise days. I probably only eat 75% of them back on most days. So when I have calories left at the end of the day... I don't worry about the veggies I munched on or the piece of gum I chewed. If I am on an off day and not getting those extra calories, I worry about it all.

But if you have all that in your diary before, odds are you can easily find it and add it quickly now. Most of my breakfast and lunch items are under Recent for me. I just might have to change serving numbers because I put some extra turkey on my sandwich or ate an extra egg because I was starving. So if you normally add a slice of lettuce and tomato to a sandwich, it will be there in your diary so you just click or you can set up a meal/recipe so you only have to add that. I have a lot of our dinners set up as recipes because I like to cook. Makes it easier than adding in 10 ingredients.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I weigh. measure and record everything. It really helps keep the calories under control. I also realized just how small serving sizes actually are. Many times they're half of what I expected just from guessing.

Edit: That doesn't include coffee, zero-calorie tea, vitamins or spices, but basically everything else.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I usually over estimate because I figure it will capture any food items I've forgotten about. I've never been under my calorie goal because of that.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yes I ate an entire bag of pop corners yesterday and I logged every embarrassing 650 calories of it. GAG

I find that by logging the bad stuff it makes me realise how much it was; like brichoe, I've realised I can still eat it but not as much as I'd like!