Never done this before

Options
This is my first post. This is my situation and I am just looking for advice and encouragement. I started my true weight loss/healthy journey. Did great with clean healthy eating for about 6 months straight with a cheat day once a week or every other. Was very controlled and reached my goal! In beginning of May, went on vacation for only 3 days and let myself, eat drink and do whatever. Now, I can't go 2 days without eating everything in sight at night. I keep very controlled all day, think wow I did great. But then the evening starts and I just start eating, binging, quickly and secretively. I keep telling myself quit, you feel like crap and soon you will look like it too. I've only gained 8 pounds back, but I feel horribly about myself. What are things I can do to change my mindset and get myself back on track?

Replies

• Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    1. make a plan, plan in advance what you intend to eat
    2. get rid of temptation. If you've only got fresh fruit and veggies in the house you won't eat chips...because they aren't there!
    3. make a new routine. If you find you're hungry at night, adjust your calorie intake so that breakfast and lunch are smaller and dinner is big big big. Eat a huge salad, a big piece of lean meat, and some carbs. And save some calories for a snack in the evening too.
    4. have a plan for when cravings hit. There are some great threads around the forums about what to do when cravings come a-knocking. My way of dealing is to force myself to wait an hour. if I still want it in an hour, then I have a small serving of whatever I am craving (like a low-fat ice cream cone instead of an entire pint of ben and jerry's!) and then I wait another hour. Some people draw pictures, go for a jog, whatever.

basically, to sum this up: make a new plan, as it seems that your current plan isn't working for your lifestyle and goals.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Have you considered eating a slightly heavier meal in the early evening or at lunch so that you do not feel the need to binge eat? I tend to do that if I have not eaten enough in the first part of my day. Or perhaps find a safe food you can "binge" eat without feeling guilty about like grapes or even frozen grapes.

I can understand the struggle of getting back on track as I have been away for a long while and it has taken me awhile but I am not willing to give up just because I hit a bump in the road. You can do this... Maybe find an activity you can do in the evening when you feel the need to binge.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    See those cute people in your profile photo? Ask them for help. After a certain time of night, don't be out of their sight. Tell them to try and keep an eye on you, and that it's really important that you don't binge at night. Work together to help keep you all healthy.

Additionally, it would be wise to remove temptation from the start. Get rid of chips and cookies and junky snacks. It's much easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle if you aren't the only one in the house doing it.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird, but after dinner, BRUSH YOUR TEETH! It's just about the only thing that stops me from eating anything else. It's like a strange mental signal to my brain that "Welp, eating's done today!"

Worth a try...
  • HeatherHoskins
    HeatherHoskins Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same think until very recently. I used to work out in the mornings and eat everything in the house when my daughter went to sleep. I work from home on the pc when she goes to bed and I would eat the entire time. Now I work out when she goes to bed and then work on the pc. My stomach is hurting and recovering from the workout and I don't even think about food.

Get all the crap out of your house. No secret stashes, no reserves in the car.... get it out. I would say the third or fourth day "clean" the urges will go away. I stopped after I had a meltdown because I was ruining a whole days worth of effort. Don't put all of that energy into this and throw it away a few hours gefore bed. Hold out and in the morning you will feel so much better about yourself.
  • BeaterEater
    Options
    In my experience, bingeing like this is more of a psychological (balance/control) issue, not a physical (hunger) issue. That being said, make sure you get enough calories during your day to feel satisfied, so you are not as tempted to binge. Also, maybe adjust your goals and try to just maintain your current weight for a few weeks or even months instead of focusing on losing again. Count your calories and eat carefully to ensure you get enough nutrients. Work on fitness and strength instead of focusing on a number on the scale. When you feel confident, balanced, and in control of your own body again you can begin losing the weight you gained back. Just my thoughts.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a large glass of water and if that still doesn't help then I just try and go to bed early....as far as I know I have not gotten up in the middle of my sleep to eat. I also try not to buy anything too bad for me...that way if I do have the craving and it does not go away, then I know I will have to get in my car (or walk) to whatever store will have the item, and more often than not, my desire to not interrupt whatever is going on or to not leave the house, is stronger than the craving.