Please give me the low-down on protein!

Options
So I want to eat s*** loads more protein, but how - what do you guys eat? What kind of weight loss have you had on a low protein diet?

Has anyone had any adverse affects? Apart from toilet issues (I can imagine its difficult!) How do you avoid this?!

Also what do you have as a side to a low carb diet? So chicken and....

GIVE ME YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

Replies

• NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    So I want to eat s*** loads more protein, but how - what do you guys eat? What kind of weight loss have you had on a low protein diet?

Has anyone had any adverse affects? Apart from toilet issues (I can imagine its difficult!) How do you avoid this?!

GIVE ME YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

Protein shakes are my friend. Protein isolate is even better if you have lactose sensitivity.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You can get soya protein i think?!
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    loads of grilled and baked chicken is what you need to invest in for some low cost, valuable food. marinate it a little, or just bake it then throw on some sauce and spices and youre good to go
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Steak. Burgers (no bun). Eggs.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Check my public diary. Whey powder if a particular meal is low on protein. Helpful at breakfast if I don't feel like cooking eggs and need to get out the door.

Otherwise, chicken, fish, steak, pork, eggs, and lots of it.

I lost pretty much all the weight on lowish-carb, high protein (not LOW protein) with very little exercise. Diet, calories, and macros are 80% of the battle.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I lost pretty much all the weight on lowish-carb, high protein (not LOW protein) with very little exercise. Diet, calories, and macros are 80% of the battle.

Sounds just up my street haha
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are you still looking for mainly vegetarian dishes? In which case, lentils, eggs, cottage cheese will be your main sources.

As for sides, here's some of my favourite meals;

Salmon fillet with steamed asparagus
    Lamb steak with quinoa pilaff
    Chicken and haloumi kebabs with tomato salad
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to bother with whey supplements unless its a matter of convenience, most animal sources of protein are of equal or better quality anyway. "Fast acting" blah blah etc doesn't make any difference. You will hear quite a bit of recommendation towards consuming a protein shake immediately after a workout in some sorcerous window of 20 minutes or so; also not the case. While the body is a little bit more receptive towards digesting protein effeciently for about an hour after anabolic activity, it makes no difference; your muscles grow when you sleep, not during the Protein Feeding Magic Hour.

I personally drink shakes just to get in the raw protein in a hurry in and around work, or drink a protein blend with creatine in it. Otherwise your best bet is tuna, salmon, halibut; which are great sources of protein, omega 3 fatty acids, and many other micro nutrients which make for a healthier, sexier you. Chicken breast, lean beef, buffalo (bison), venizon, turkey, liver etc are all ideal. You basically want to look to get 1 gram of protein for every 10 calories you consume a day. If you can do a bit more than that; even better.

Your carb sources can also be protein rich; spinach, brocolli etc all have protein. Goji berries are a protein rich (for a fruit) item that also happen to have a complete protein (all amino acids you need). Quinoa as well is a complete protein, and a better tasting, more nutrient rich alternative to brown rice. Greek yogurt is also great, and a good base for smoothies.

If you do look into powders; Optimum Nutrition is a good brand; but most of these products are all produced in the same manufacturing locations and just slapped into a different tub with little difference to their "quality" and "substance". You can also go with Soy protein powder, pea protein, or hemp. I'm not vegetarian but I use hemp protein powder in smoothies as well due to the fact it is rich in potassium, vitamin - a and omega 3 fatty acids.

A good guide I use for nutrition and fitness in general can be found here: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)