Does anyone else feel like an idiot?

I have Exercise on Demand and I decided to try Billy Blanks Tae Bo. OH MY FREAKIN' GOD!!!! I used to be really coordinated back in high school, now I'm almost 10 years out and not so much. I felt like a complete idiot. Some of the stuff I could do, but then he gets going really fast and I can't keep up. I felt so ridiculous. I also thought, "how is this gonna do anything for me if I can't keep up. So after 15 minutes into it I stopped and I'm going to try something else. Does this happen to anyone else when they first start a new workout?

Replies

• I have Exercise on Demand and I decided to try Billy Blanks Tae Bo. OH MY FREAKIN' GOD!!!! I used to be really coordinated back in high school, now I'm almost 10 years out and not so much. I felt like a complete idiot. Some of the stuff I could do, but then he gets going really fast and I can't keep up. I felt so ridiculous. I also thought, "how is this gonna do anything for me if I can't keep up. So after 15 minutes into it I stopped and I'm going to try something else. Does this happen to anyone else when they first start a new workout?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Hey don't worry! I do cardio classes all the time and I still sometimes fall off the step or do something wrong. So does everyone. :smile: It's not the moves that matter, it's just the movING. The choreography isn't specially formulated to burn fat or anything, it's just there to keep things organized and interesting. If you lose track, just to something easy like high-knees or keep going with the previous movement until you understand the current one. The last thing you want to do is to just stop!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    That happens to me every day practically. I still can't keep up with the Tae Bo. (Frankly, I think the form suffers when you go that fast. . .I don't see the need.)

I once said in an exercise class. . ."hey, any day I get through without falling on my *kitten* is a good one!"
    They thought I was kidding. I wasn't.

Try everything until you find something you enjoy, or at least can accomplish. It should feel challenging, difficult even. . .but it shouldn't feel cuckoo to you.
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    I did the same thing when I started Tae bo. But believe me it will get better. Just march in place or take it slower for the eight counts. You will get the hang of it. But don't stop and give up. Just go at a slower pace or just watch as you move. Before you know it you will be just as quick as the dvd. I still do to this day when I do a new dvd of tae bo but I just take it slower and then you still get a good workout in. Don't be discouraged everybody does it. I also like HIP HOP ABS. Good luck. Melissa
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I usually feel like an idiot, whether while exercising or opening my mouth :tongue:

I knew someone who wasn't coordinated enough to do jumping jacks - I can do them, just not with the rest of the class. Oh, and that whole 1,2,3, 4,1,2,3,4 kind of thing - can't do it - can't follow the rhythm of the music.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    I always watch tapes first....so I know what to expect and it still is tough but then after like a few times doing the routine you'll be fine!! thinking you're all bad!:wink: and you will be!!!:glasses: (and that's bad as in really good! lol)

hugs!
    and good luck!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • shamahn17
    shamahn17 Posts: 26 Member
    Tae Bo make me feel silly also...I just keep going and laugh at myself along the way. No matter how off i am on the routine the great part is that i've been moving for 30 min...and i'm dead tired...so just keep it up.
    P.S...If you have on demand theres a great ab workout to follow...its titled abs and back...its helped me lose 6 inches from my tummy!!
  • I have the same TaeBo video. At first, it was really hard for me too. :blushing: Keep at it! Walk in place through the parts you can't do, do the exercises slower than on the vid, but just don't stop. If you just keep trying, it will get easier and before you know it, you'll know exactly what to do when. Just takes practice. :flowerforyou:
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    I had to chuckle with this one. On wednesday I was working out at the gym and started my workout with 30 minutes on the treadmill. As I was doing my cool down I was sweating up a storm and decided to wipe my face. Apparently I can't do two things at once, because as I was wiping my face I forgot to walk..... caught myself just before falling off the end of the treadmill. Gave a few people a good laugh to start their day off... lol
    So don't worry , I think we all do and look silly at times
    Have a great weekend everyone.