Cardio make you fat???

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Who brought it up? Something compelled you to continue posting on this thread after the question "as been answered".

Thanks for your helpful contribution, Chip. And excellent work as Internet Grammer Police. It's good work you're doing here.

Like I said, I posted again not for the question that "as" been answered, but to try to clear up something on the secondary topic. What, in the name of everything holy, possessed you to write your response? I do hope your mocking my typo makes you feel like a big man.

Cheers, mate!
  • DirectNirvana
    Options
    This thread has really degraded into a lot of name calling and pseudoscience. Aren't we all old enough to have a reasonable discussion about this? I think we all agree that cardio is good for you and won't MAKE you fat, though if you're doing a lot of cardio and eating horribly you still might be. Fast-twitch, resistance training people love their workouts and aerobic based, cardio, slow twitch people love their workouts. I feel like we've already proven EVERYBODY's point, now we're just arguing to try and see who is better, when the answer is, it depends. If you're trying to run a marathon, obviously lots of cardio makes since. Running burns energy, your body has to get the energy from some where. To do that, it will either use muscle or fat as a source. Obviously, muscle may be prioritized, but that doesn't mean that it will burn just the muscle and only the muscle first. So if you train for a marathon you might see some loss in muscle's you don't use (upper body) but you're not going to turn into a Kenyan look-a-like necessarily, especially if some resistance training is included.

Resistance training guys, yes, building muscle is good, and muscle burns calories all the time, but it takes time to build muscles and there's still a question about HOW MANY calories muscles burn, most likely it depends on how much you use the muscles.

http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/f/muscle.htm

Above is a link which explores this concept, it has several links to scientific articles that you can feel free to peruse. It does go on to explore the strengths of resistance training. This isn't to imply that resistance training isn't important, but making claims and not being willing to back up your claims with some sort of cited source just means that you have faith in your method, not knowledge in it. Probably the best way to think about this is the quote "everything works, just some things work better than others" - no I don't know who said it. Which means maybe resistance training is better or maybe cardio, but maybe we don't know for sure and they both will get the job done. So, yes if you want to get stronger then resistance training will make you stronger and explosive, power movements will activate FAST twitch muscles, and higher-repetition resistance training, enough to enter hypertrophy will make muscles bigger AND stronger and you will look better.

This is a site where the majority of the advice we give people is to focus on their diet and to make sure that they maintain a healthy, balanced diet to improve their health while trying to meet there goals. I feel maybe we should take the same approach with exercise, a balanced program incorporating both resistance training and cardio training is probably for the best. As for the ORIGINAL question and providing at least SOME research, I did a quick search using the my university's database and found a couple of articles which do not mention any muscle loss as a result of aerobic training, all articles are available via scholar.google.com, however, I only did a cursory search and therefore maybe didn't find all the relevant article and would be open to other people finding and citing sources that either agree with me or contradict me, because I'm an adult.

Effects of strength and endurance training on thigh and leg muscle mass and composition in elderly women
    S Sipila… - Journal of Applied Physiology, 1995 - Am Physiological Soc

Lower extremity muscle size and strength and aerobic capacity decrease with caloric restriction but not with exercise-induced weight loss
    EP Weiss, SB Racette, DT Villareal… - Journal of applied …, 2007 - jappl.org

Before all the naysayers read the abstract and yell, neither of these studies set out to prove our exact question, if someone has access to an article that does, please post it. But both articles involved some aerobic exercise, and one found the effects to be negligible but neither found the effects to be NEGATIVE.

Finally, as just some words on courtesy and logic. Just because you compete in marathons and don't care about how you look does not mean that the rest of us are speaking a "different language". Yes, some people on this site care more about looks than performance, but there are plenty of people who are interested in both, and that doesn't mean one group has a better biological argument than the other, plenty of us are improving our athletic performance WHILE looking better, and in many (maybe most?) cases the two go hand-in-hand. To the resistance guys that are doing the whole sprinter/marathoner comparison at the Olympics, that's like me saying let's compare world-class power lifters to marathoners. I could say, muscle obviously doesn't burn fat, many of these guys are huge and they can squat and bench press HUGE amounts of weight. Whenever you point to elite athlete of course they represent an exception to the rule, as well as population that has gone through extreme measures to arrive at where they are. They are POOR examples to use for regular people, by the fact that they ARE elite athletes. So let's all please just try and get along, and when as I suspect people challenge this post, try and challenge it with facts in a respectful, adult way.
  • xipow
    xipow Posts: 58
    Options
    It won't put on fat...

But cardio isn't a great fat burner. When the body is in a caloric deficit, it will prioritize tissue lost. So you'll lose some fat, some muscle, etc. Since cardio doesn't use a lot of your bodies muscles, your body will over time shed a lot of this unused muscle tissue to try and save fat energy. It's where the term skinny fat comes from. People you do tons of cardio, but still look flabby at their goal weight because of all the non fat mass that was also lost.

It's why we say to do resistance training. If the body is using the fast twitch muscles, then priority will be seen to conserve it as well. And that caloric deficit will be used moreso for fat loss.
    Fascinating stuff, Do you have a reference for this info??
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts. Cardio doesn't make you fat, but as for myself, I lose more weight when I lift weights before doing my cardio.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running burns energy, your body has to get the energy from some where. To do that, it will either use muscle or fat as a source.

Whatever happened to glycogen? Depending on the intensity of the run you'll burn calories from a combination carbs/glycogen and fat (in varying proportions), assuming an adequate protein/caloric intake you won't be burning an appreciable amount of lean muscle mass.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You see, the problem with introducing "glycogen" into the discussion is that it is a polysyllabic word....
  • geminigrl622
    geminigrl622 Posts: 144
    Options
    Have you ever seen an addicted runner with a FAT midsection? Pfffft.. Soooo not true!

I wish there was a like button on this thing! LOL
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I think I've heard it all now.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You see, the problem with introducing "glycogen" into the discussion is that it is a polysyllabic word....

Ohhhhhhhhhh :laugh: :laugh:
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • chrissy28
    chrissy28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't make you "fat" but there should be a healthy balance. Especially when losing weight, you don't want to lose weight and then be flabby. Cardio won't give you any tone or definition. Resistance training is healthy and really good for your metabolism since you are building muscle, etc etc (all the reasons others have already posted).
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Did you just swear? Someone report her!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Even though the body is designed to burn glycogen and fat for energy this process is halted whenever anyone does an activity with the word CARDIO in it. A new process then begins where the body ignores the energy sources that that the muscle cells are designed to use and immediately begins to cannibilize itself.

This is true because I read it on the internet.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    No, it's not going to make you fat. If you are eating at a calorie deficit where is this fat going to come from? And unless you were lifting weights a lot and then stop, it's not going to make you lose muscle either unless you are starving yourself.

Your body will preserve the muscle it needs to meet its demands, given proper diet. If all else remains the same, why would it suddenly start shedding muscle? And why would it suddenly start burning through muscle when the body is specifically designed to store fat and then to use that fat as an energy source when in a calorie deficit?
    Common misconception. The body actually generally prefers getting rid of muscle to fat in the context of cardiovascular exercise (unless you are someone who won the genetic lotto, or are taking performance enhancing drugs, in which case what are you doing on this site?!). Think about it... a pound of muscle yields at most 600 calories of usable energy. A pound of fat yields 3500. The body say "OMG I have to run to survive, and I have to lose a pound of something"... guess which one it's going to pick? Lean muscle mass that is not related to the task at hand. This is why cyclists/marathoners who don't resistance train are so scrawny in the upper body (I have a friend who can cycle over 100 miles in one go, and rides several hundred miles/week, but can't do 1 body-weight push-up). The muscle:fat ratio is going to be determined heavily by genetics and current body composition (someone who is morbidly obese and insulin resistant will probably not lose a significant amount of muscle mass, someone who is at 'athletic' body fat levels will lose almost exclusively muscle). Once you add resistance training in, muscle preservation is greatly improved, as it causes the body to prioritize muscle sparing over fat sparing.

Totally agree
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Cardio won't make you fat. Cardio is great for your heart and lungs. I do cardio 3-4 times a week, but I do different things. Sometimes I ride my stationary bike, sometimes I jog, sometimes I power walk, sometimes I power walk and jog. I try to mix it up a bit. Cardio burns fat over your entire body, especially when you incorporate other body parts (arms) with it. I also do strength training using my own body (push-ups, squats, lunges, things like that) because I don't have weights at home. Cardio (especially walking and running) melts fat and does give you some muscle tone in your legs.
    If you're seeking to melt fat without getting toned (which no one really wants to do), do cardio. If you want to melt fat and get toned, do cardio with some strength/resistance training. If you don't have weights, you can definitely use your own body! If you plateau, add more reps :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Even though the body is designed to burn glycogen and fat for energy this process is halted whenever anyone does an activity with the word CARDIO in it. A new process then begins where the body ignores the energy sources that that the muscle cells are designed to use and immediately begins to cannibilize itself.

It's like being down on the ground with a magnifying glass and focusing so much on an anthill that you miss the herd of elephants going past behind you.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: I know this statement was a joke, right? :laugh: :wink:
  • ljb82
    ljb82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That's BS- cardio will never make you fat! It's always good to work on building and toning muscle as well, but time on a cardio machine is never a bad thing.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I read through two pages of replies looking for a credible response since I have some interest in this topic. I am a triathlete that runs or cycles six to eight times a week. I want to add some upper body strength since I have basically neglected that half of my body for many, many years. I incorporated a weight lifting plan that I followed for several months with very little visual results so I researched the problem.

What I learned is that you have to eat a calorie surplus and weight train to build muscle mass. My cardio was making that nearly impossible. A body builder friend of mine suggested I eat a surplus if 700 to 1000 calories a day to supply the fuel to build muscle. My cardio was burning between 600 to 1500 calories a day. That would require I eat 4000+ calories a day.

Here's what was advised to me. Continue the cardio through triathlon season but be certain to eat back calories. When season ends, cut back on cardio to less than 500 calories burned. Eat 3000 calories a day and begin a weight training program.

So based on what I learned, cardio will not make you fat. It will also prevent you from gaining muscle unless you eat back those calories and then more for the muscle growth.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    A trainer at the gym told me that doing lots of cardio without any weights can make you put weight on around the middle. Something to do with endorphins that your body releases when doing cardio and stress on the body....

is this true?? I am all about cardio (running, zumba, cross trainer, dvds) but now I am wondering if I am going about it all wrong?

That isn't true as long as you're not overdoing cardio & eating adequate protein intake. Of course when you're in a deficit, you'll lose both fat & muscle, something that we cannot avoid. What actually happens when you overdo cardio in a calorie deficit is that your body thinks that there is a "famine" going on since its not getting enough food to support your workouts & all it wants is to make you survive. For us to "survive", our bodies need all the fat since it is the most calorie dense & is the main source of energy. Because of this, it will put your body in catabolic state (muscle burning) & it will let go of anything that isn't being used such as muscle since it uses up calories just to maintain itself. The result will be having a skinny fat body. So for you to minimize muscle loss while in deficit, you have to incorporate strength training to use those muscles. As the saying goes, use it or lose it.

However to say that cardio will make you fat is definitely wrong. Now if you're wondering how can one say they are overdoing it, it depends on the person's fitness level & the type of training. Endurance athletes train for hours everyday, however they compensate it by eating lots of calories. At the same time, an hour of cardio can be considered too much for some people who are simply trying to lose weight.