Low calories and exercise. I just can't!!

Options
Hello all.

I'm having a hard time being on a 1,200 calorie diet while working out. I mean, by the time I get home, I'm starving and all I want to do is eat dinner right that moment. Early mornings don't work well for me b/c I have a 1 year old and a carpool-- blah blah blah

My questions is this:
I'm on the Slim-Fast 3-2-1 diet right now to jump start my weightloss (I gained 6lbs in 20 days!!), and with that plan the calories are set. I still track with MFP but when I include exercise it says I have more calories remaining. If I eat those remaining calories, won't I just negate my workout? Also, what are good post and pre workout foods? I usually do about 20-30 mins of cardio.

Thanks so much in advance.

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Eat your calories! You need to have enough food to fuel your body and help it to run efficiently. I say dump the slim fast and follow a plan that is sustainable. Don't worry about jump starts b/c eating healthy and maintaining it is a long term thing. You are so hungry b/c you aren't eating enough :) Eating exercise calories is a blessing for me.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^^
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Eat your calories! You need to have enough food to fuel your body and help it to run efficiently. I say dump the slim fast and follow a plan that is sustainable. Don't worry about jump starts b/c eating healthy and maintaining it is a long term thing. You are so hungry b/c you aren't eating enough :) Eating exercise calories is a blessing for me.

This! I agree completely.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Eat more! 1200 is just not enough! At least, you should NET 1200 after your exercise. You can try nuts as a good snack, and of course veggies! You can add me as a friend! I have learned a lot since January.
  • gogogo53
    gogogo53 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You are from SLP? I used to live there. Now I am in Blaine
  • JAT63
    JAT63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jen, slim fast is a short term fix, it’s all about portion control, eat lots of fruit & veggies, less meat, but more fish. I think your calories are too low...stay around 1,400 and exercise, if you go to low your body thinks your starving and will store the fat for survival.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Eating those calories does not negate your workout. It fuels your workout. 1200 is already enough of a calorie deficit to lose weight and you will still have that deficit if you replace your workout calories.
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Smart girl!!! :)
  • pushnhard
    pushnhard Posts: 51
    Options
    Hey Lady-
    Don't fret. I would also recommend dropping that liquid mess. I'd recommend small meals throughout the day...Say like 300-400 calories per. When you don't eat your calories back, you are then at a deficit, which probably puts you under 1200 calories a day thereby slowing your metabolism and you may tend to be slow to lose weight. You can "friend me" if you'd like. I will help keep you motivated! You can do it....don't give up!
  • agerena007
    agerena007 Posts: 51
    Options
    Hey, dont give yourself excuses but use it as your motivation. You can!!! I think your hungry because your not eating, if I am correct that slim 3-2-1 diet consists of a shake??? Im not sure. Anyway, just eat but beware of what your eating. Instead of fast food, make home cooked meals. Eat more veggies and fruits, less carbs and fat. As far as exercise 20 minutes make a difference. I was told by a wise mfp friend to eat your calories, because the less you eat the more you gain, your body goes into starvation mode and tends to hold on to the fat already inside.... Not to say that I am a great listener, lol. But i do eat and consume so much water I might as well be a water fountain....I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was on a 1150 calorie program, I would work out in the morning a few hours before breakfast and when I got home, I would be starving like crazy. I decided to change that, I would eat a protein bar and then go work out and when I had break fast I would add an additional 300 calories to my meal.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    : Low calories and exercise. I just can't!!

Then just don't!

Eat an appropriate amount of food for the exercise you are doing

1200 cals is rarely it.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone else. up the calories and ditch the shakes. i've lost more weight eating between 1,500 and 1,800 and exercising than i have with an extremely low calorie diet. i do p90x though so i'm keeping my calories around 1,800. you just have to play with it and figure out what works for you. :)
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast will kill you! It's high in sugar, has little real food and will increase your hunger. Also, like the other posters have said--you have to fuel your workout. Unless you are pretty little, I'd start with more than 1200 cals and STILL eat my exercise calories. Just don't cheat. Eat real food. Lots of veggies, lean meats and whole fruits--watch the things that cause your blood sugar to skyrocket without feeding your body anything useful!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

^^^^^ What she said!!! ^^^^^
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^Good Advice. Also, search Eat More, Weigh Less and look at fat2fitradio.com. Both will provide a lot of information about why you don't have to eat 1200 to lose weight.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Eat more! 1200 is just not enough! At least, you should NET 1200 after your exercise. You can try nuts as a good snack, and of course veggies! You can add me as a friend! I have learned a lot since January.

agreed. I recently upped my calories from 1400 to 1600-1800 and finally started losing weight again. Maybe you should look into the group Eat More, Weigh Less for some good advice and some tips. Good luck!
  • julie2475
    julie2475 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Im exactly the same , I have been on slimfast for 10 days now and am starving after workout! I try not to eat my exercise calories as I am only planning using this for 4 weeks and want to use it as a kick start and then introduce another meal into the day! I just try to fill up on fruit in between bars! Good luck, add me if u want xx
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories.