Not Losing

Options
Hi All,

I started using MFP couple weeks ago and have been sticking within my calorie goals that have been specififed for me to lose 1lb per week except for maybe 2 of those days. I have not lost anything yet. Have those 2 out of 14 days really hurt me that much? I've lost weight before to where I was underweight, gained some back to be more healthy, but then it got out of control so I'm trying to lose just 10lbs. It was so easy to lose it before that now I'm just feeling frustrated......another thing I thought of was maybe my calorie burn through exercise is being calculated incorrectly? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Keep it up for a month and check back in with us.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 1 pound since joining MFP. My phone app said I should lose 1 pound a week. Its been a month :( I just started working out again this week so I am waiting to see if that makes a difference.
    Good luck to you!
    wanda
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It takes time, especially if you just started working out. You might be retaining water (I know I did). Try to stick to your calorie & workout goals and make sure you are eating healthy foods, not cookies etc (can't see your diary so idk what you are eating). All calories are not created equal and as long as you are getting the nutrients you need you should be ok. Also, keep in mind that hormone fluctuations, age, stress level, sleep, etc These all play into the weight loss game too. I know some people who never lose that last 10 pounds because their body wants to stay right where it is. Others, like me, start trading muscle for fat so the scale stays the same but the measurements & body size decrease. Try taking measurements to see if that's what's up :flowerforyou:
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for "instant" gratification and concentrate on being committed to reaching your own personal goals. MFP is just a tool...how well you use this tool will determine your success or failure.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making your diary public so we can see what you're eating. It really could be that you're eating the wrong foods. Some people say it doesn't matter what you eat; it's all about staying within your calories but for me personally I have not found that to be true. 1600 calories of mostly junk reacts differently in my body than 1600 calories of mostly healthy food. Some other things to consider:

Are you drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day? not enough water for me = no weight loss
    Are you getting enough sleep? 7-8 hours out of every 24? not enough sleep for me = no weight loss
    How is your salt intake? Lots of salt for me = no weight loss

These are just some things I noticed for myself...you may be entirely different.
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know that it took me a while to see any weight loss, as I was in a weight-gaining trend when I got really serious about my food and taking pounds off. About a month or a little more to actually make good habits and stick to them, and turn my whole trend around. Just keep working at it. You'll get there if you keep it up!

To answer your question about whether 2 out of 14 days can really hurt your overall progress: it depends on what those 14 days look like. Open your food diary if you want feedback about how you're eating. People here are really helpful and supportive, so don't be shy!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? If you only have 10 lbs to lose then 1 lb a week isn't going to be the healthiest way to do it.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 15 lbs...
  • melisha922
    melisha922 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress about it too much. I've been serious about this since Feb. (with off days now and then). And I just hit my first weight loss goal (9lbs) a week or so ago. My weight fluctuates a bit but steadily moves downward. I think when you only have a few pounds to reach an optimal weight it makes it harder to lose. You're not losing years of fat that isn't needed but the last bit of fat. At least, that's my take on it. Remember, this site is about healthy weight loss and hopefully about healthy eating- not just getting rid of pounds but changing your relationship with food, portion sizes, and exercise. Good luck!
  • ARHKarls
    ARHKarls Posts: 7
    Options
    You all brought up some really good points - thank you!

I do need to work my water intake and I probably get 6 to 7 hours a sleep per night, but that's not continuous and I will figure out how you all can see my diary. I went back an looked at it and it's actualy kind of embarassing a few days....ugh....maybe I haven't been doing as well as I thought....
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making your diary public so we can see what you're eating. It really could be that you're eating the wrong foods. Some people say it doesn't matter what you eat; it's all about staying within your calories but for me personally I have not found that to be true. 1600 calories of mostly junk reacts differently in my body than 1600 calories of mostly healthy food. Some other things to consider:

Are you drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day? not enough water for me = no weight loss
    Are you getting enough sleep? 7-8 hours out of every 24? not enough sleep for me = no weight loss
    How is your salt intake? Lots of salt for me = no weight loss

These are just some things I noticed for myself...you may be entirely different.

Yes...what she said!
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    It will take a lot longer than a few weeks..give it at least another month!! And, I can honestly say...that I have NEVER lost a pound a week, so don't let that discourage you. Keep eating well ( and enough cals) and exercising regularly...and the weight will come off! PROMISE!