Salad in a Jar

Options
capricorn144
capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
I found this yesterday on line ...may not be new to you ....it was to me and what a great idea to make ahead for the week and just grab one for a quick lunch. Said to keep well for 7 days.

I am going to try this one. :happy:

details in the link below with images:

http://momsbyheart.net/salad-in-a-jar/

Replies

• loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've got to try this! I'm the same way....love salads for lunch and even as side with dinner. This might even encourage hubby to have a salad if they are ready made. I'll post results end of next week.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    my work computer won't let me see it........can you give a brief recap for me?

I love pre-making lunches :love:
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Salad in a Jar!
    April 5, 2012 · 4 comments

When I saw this idea on Pinterest, I knew I had to give it a try. I love a good salad for lunch, but usually don’t have time to put a good one together every day. I’ve tried making them ahead, but I hate to have veggies that are even a little wilted or soggy.

I was skeptical about this one. But I had my fingers crossed.

I decided to test them out for 7 whole days before sharing this with you. And I’m thrilled to say that even on day 7 the salad was as good as the day it was made. In a word, Perfection.

The secret is in the layering.

You want to have the dressing at the bottom.
    Cover it with some crunchy vegetables like shredded carrots or celery.
    Then goes the cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, etc.
    With a top layer of lettuce.

Just be sure to keep the softer veggies away from the salad dressing, and the lettuce at the very top. I used Wide Mouth Quart Jars, which can be found in many stores for around $10-$12 per dozen.

I also cooked some bacon and boiled some eggs so they were ready to go in the refrigerator. You can find dozens of salad ideas by searching through the Pinterest pins.

Sorry the picture didn't come through.

FYI - I copied this from the link
  • hydeejo
    hydeejo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Can you put cut up eggs in the jar too?
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Can you put cut up eggs in the jar too?

I don't know if I would. I would be afraid it might get a little funky. lol But you can boil some up and just have them in the refridgerator ready to grab when you grab your jar.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennifershirsch
    jennifershirsch Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • capricorn144
    Options
    She said to have cooked eggs and bacon crumbles in a separate container and add later.
    :smile:
  • Elo99
    Elo99 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So I saw something similar to this on Pinterest but they used a vacuum sealing thing on the mason jars. I read the article link and it didn't say if she did or not, so I'm guessing this will work without doing that??? If so yay!
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm so bookmarking this for when I start school again in September!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    you could do the same thing with any plastic container. make your salad (sans dressing)
    put a tiny container of dressing on it (they even make single serve packets)

grocery stores put boiled egg on it. as long as they are not overcooked, i don't see why not. (bring eggs to boil, shut off, drain after 10 mins)
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Usually you would vacuum seal the jar, for it to last do long, they don't mention that. Food saver with wide mouth jar attachment.
  • jwillie76
    jwillie76 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump
  • capricorn144
    Options
    I think she mentions in the article it is the idea of using glass jars (specifically says it will not work with plastic) that keeps the salad fresh...and she did it 7 days without the vacumn process. She used canning jars and popped them into the fridge.

At least that is what I have read in her account...I am going to try it myself. Worth a shot! :flowerforyou: