Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Regarding P90X

Hey there all!
I recently started the P90X 90 day challenge but I hit a speed bump. In some of the workouts they use pull up bars. I have access to a pull up bar that is supposed to fit over your door frame. Problem is, I am currently 246 lbs and my door frame is VERY old. I don't think it will support me yet. So I was wondering if there is an exercise that is somewhat comparable to a pull up that I can do until I feel secure the door frame will hold me? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!:happy:

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    You can get exercise bands with a door anchor, that would be an alternative and they show you how to use the bands that way on in the workouts as well.
  • zomoro56
    zomoro56 Posts: 21 Member
    I would suggest trying it the modified way with a step stool or chair, there are a million videos on youtube covering this for P90Xers. If that still doesn't make the exercise functional then I would move to using the resistance bands until utilizing the bar is possible. Bands are a decent substitute but you won't see the results you would with doing pull-ups on the bar. Hope this helps
  • Shandke
    Shandke Posts: 116 Member
    We use the excercise bands.....our basement ceiling isn't finished so we just drape them over a floor joist above. If you have the bar, you might be able to drape the band over that and get down on your knees or sit on the floor to somewhat replicate what they do...just a thought....
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    You can get exercise bands with a door anchor, that would be an alternative and they show you how to use the bands that way on in the workouts as well.

^This. I have a pull up bar but I cant even do a pull up so resistance bands it is. They work just as well if you put the same amount of effort into it.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    i used the over-the-door resistance bands... quick, easy, portable in case you're going out of town or something. they worked just fine and the set ive got has 3 interchangable bands that can be used singly or together for a 'heavier' pull. they show the modifications for the bands and i did mine in what i call the 'proposal' position. on one knee & leaning forward at a 45 degree angle
  • I would suggest trying it the modified way with a step stool or chair, there are a million videos on youtube covering this for P90Xers. If that still doesn't make the exercise functional then I would move to using the resistance bands until utilizing the bar is possible. Bands are a decent substitute but you won't see the results you would with doing pull-ups on the bar. Hope this helps

^^^ This
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    The way the bar attaches, it doesn't put a lot of pulling stress on the upper door frame....most of the pressure pushes on the vertical boards. I weighed 226 when I started and it supported me without issues. You should be able to do chair assisted pullups without a problem.
  • _Iffer_
    _Iffer_ Posts: 13
    I suggest the bands too... You can even wrap them over the top of the door & shut the door. It will hold them in place. Then you sit on the floor to mock the pull up. They show ya how on the P90X videos.