Yes you can fondue!

Options
Okay, I love fondue... all that oil, cheese mmmm. :love: So I was ready to eat little when I went to a friend's house for a fondue. To my surprise it was done in broth - chicken broth with ginger and another with beef broth and garlic.

We cooked veggies and meat in the broth and it was delicious. I'd never heard of a broth fondue before so I was thrilled with the calories. I kept the bread and cheese fondue to a minimum but the veggies and meat were so delicious it wasn't hard to do. It's also such a nice slow meal that you really feel full.

Replies

• frenchfoodlover
    Options
    Okay, I love fondue... all that oil, cheese mmmm. :love: So I was ready to eat little when I went to a friend's house for a fondue. To my surprise it was done in broth - chicken broth with ginger and another with beef broth and garlic.

We cooked veggies and meat in the broth and it was delicious. I'd never heard of a broth fondue before so I was thrilled with the calories. I kept the bread and cheese fondue to a minimum but the veggies and meat were so delicious it wasn't hard to do. It's also such a nice slow meal that you really feel full.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a Hot Pot to me. We discovered Hot Pots watching Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" Travel Show and then searched the area until we found a Viet Namese Restaurant that served Hot Pot. It was so goooooood that we bought our own Hot Pot online and now make it at home.

We just put some water and spices in ours, heat it up, then have these little baskets to put your meat and vegis in. It's all fresh and tastes sooo good! We use thinly sliced beef and shrimp for ours. Like you said, it's a slow paced meal and I always feel full even though I end up eating only a few ounces of meat. It's a great way to get in vegis, too!

We love that Hot Pot and have it about once a week.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    We do this type of fondue often taking the broth at the end of the meal adding spices to our taste then pouring it into hot coffee mugs and drinking the "soup" as dessert. Quite filling and very satisfying.
  • Wantabe
    Wantabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a Hot Pot to me. We discovered Hot Pots watching Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" Travel Show and then searched the area until we found a Viet Namese Restaurant that served Hot Pot. It was so goooooood that we bought our own Hot Pot online and now make it at home.

We just put some water and spices in ours, heat it up, then have these little baskets to put your meat and vegis in. It's all fresh and tastes sooo good! We use thinly sliced beef and shrimp for ours. Like you said, it's a slow paced meal and I always feel full even though I end up eating only a few ounces of meat. It's a great way to get in vegis, too!

We love that Hot Pot and have it about once a week.

I hate to appear ignorant but what is a hotpot and where can you get one? That sounds like a good way to get in your vegs.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I bought mine off Amazon.com. It's electric and looks like a very deep round electric frypan type thingie but it gets much hotter than your usual electric frypan. You can use it like one if you wish but we just use ours for hot potting. Fill it with water, heat it to boiling, throw in your spices, etc. and then sit down and cook your meal as you go! We usually turn ours down a bit in temperature once we sit down so we don't get burned but you don't want to turn it down too much or stuff won't cook well.

It's great! We picked up little Chinese "spiders"--a utensil designed to be used for getting things out of hot oil--to use to put our food in and cook it.

Like I said, you have to cut your meat very thin so it cooks fast. We've done fish, beef, and shrimp so far. We also throw in cabbage, carrots, snow peas, onions, etc. too cook.

Here's a link to the one we bought after I checked around for one and finally went with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005OBC5
  • cathymalone
    Options
    That sounds delicious! Any recipes to share?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I only know cheese & chocolate fondue recipes :blushing: But I bet if you search Coq au vin (which is the broth based fondue) you will find some.
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The coq au vin broth is wonderful!!! It is the one they serve at the Melting Pot. It's one of my favorite restaurants for a treat! It's easy to make at home, we have our own fondue pot at home, not very expensive to buy, around 25-30 dollars.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    The coq au vin broth is wonderful!!! It is the one they serve at the Melting Pot. It's one of my favorite restaurants for a treat! It's easy to make at home, we have our own fondue pot at home, not very expensive to buy, around 25-30 dollars.

:love: :love: Melting Pot........:love::love: (snarls...chews on pillow)

It's almost worth not eating for a week for a good meal there. :laugh:
  • shorerider
    Options
    In mine I put in water, garlic cloves, onions, pepper, soy sauce, and hot sauce--and then just season to taste. Since we also usually cook fish or shrimp along with beef, my husband doesn't want beef flavoring added to the cooking broth itself.

One thing I really like about Hot Pot is that we can cook our food together but then each person can also add seasonings afterwards to suit their own taste. My husband also makes up a dipping sauce for his stuff that is extra hot! And, it's great to have a conversation around!

Not much clean-up either! :drinker:
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Here in Japan they have something very similar called Shabu Shabu... The commissary here on base actually sells the meat already cut super thin... YUM!