Resisting Cravings

Options
Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to this, only about 3 weeks in. I'm never really hungry, and don't feel like I'm missing out on any foods, all except the nutritional train wreck that is pizza.. I'm talking gooey, oily Dominoes style pizza. This is the only thing that I'm craving, but I find that I'm craving it hard most days now. It's my kryptonite! I'm also moving to Spain on Sunday, and I know I'm going to be tempted by the local pizza, it's always so good there..
Do you guys have any tips on overcoming something you REALLY want? What is your weakness?

Replies

• brittnicoledav
    Options
    i find that after ive not had something for a while, i stop craving it. i loveee pizza too but now i dont crave it near as much. you can buy healthy pizza or make pizza with cauliflower crust (it is wayy yummier than it sounds) and after not having the real thing for a while these things seem to take care of whatever pizza craving i have. :)
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    Krispy Kreme donuts. I'm planning to have some on my birthday in August!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Pizza is a good example for me. But, what I do is make it at home. I take a sandwich round, toast it, add generic pizza sauce, turkey peperoni, and low fat mozzarella. Throw it in the oven until the cheese is melted. Then I add a side of veggies or salad to help fill me up. Sure, it doesn't taste quite the same as a restaurant pizza, but it satisfies the craving.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has any scientific backing or not, but there's a bit in this article that I found really interesting: it ties your individual cravings to a lack of a specific nutrient.

http://www.thelondoner.me/2012/01/anti-diet.html

If this is true (and I don't know if it is because I usually just fit my cravings into my diet), then it means that a craving for something fatty and doughy like pizza indicates that your body needs nitrogen and calcium. Try focusing on these nutrients for a day or two and see if you want it so badly this weekend. Even if it's complete BS, it's probably worth the experiment.

On a side note, I'm having pizza this weekend! It's so much better for you homemade. I use whole-wheat pitas as a "thin-crust" base and part skim mozzarella to keep it reasonable.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I have made the cauliflower pizza crust....it's pretty good for a treat. It's not always easy to change your lifestyle...but if you stick with it, it's really great! I have made tons of changes, and they have really worked out for me.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza at least once a week. I make it fit in my calorie goals and I'm still losing weight.

You don't necessarily have to deprive yourself of something you like/enjoy for the rest of your life. Instead, why not have it in moderation?

Just some "food" for thought.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza at least once a week. I make it fit in my calorie goals and I'm still losing weight.

You don't necessarily have to deprive yourself of something you like/enjoy for the rest of your life. Instead, why not have it in moderation?

Just some "food" for thought.

^^^^ THIS!!! I do the same! I
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can make pizza healthy...yes i said it. Whole grain thin crust with all the veggies and no cheese is my favorite
  • Trapperpk
    Trapperpk Posts: 2
    Options
    I found for me that having a first meal with protein and fiber in the morning sets the tone and diminishes carb cravings all day. i used to insanely crave carbs during the evening. Could not control it at all. It was like I was addicted to food. So changing from carbs loaded diet to high fiber, protein and fresh vegetables really change my appetite cravings. I now watch TV at night with no cravings at all.
  • GeritWag
    GeritWag Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just getting away from the fridge/kitchen helps for me. Also, when I stay busy I notice I don't crave food NEARLY as much.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    With cravings, I ask myself - what do I want more? Pizza or to lose weight? Pizza or a cute tank top?

But if I really want it, I have it. But I just have 1 piece, not the whole pie. Count the cals and move on.

When in Spain, I say enjoy the pizza - but only piece at a time - not the whole pie. Workout too.

MFP and living your life while losing weight is the way to be!
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Enjoy what you want to, in moderation of course.
  • Soxiez
    Soxiez Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, such good advice! How do you go about making cauliflower pizza? I've never heard of it! Also the pitta bread base pizza sounds great too. I agree, a little of what you fancy is great, but so is a bit of self discipline :) both are important in my eyes!

I'm in catered student residence here so it's been difficult to get used to not being able to chose my meals myself but thankfully, it being Spain, they have plenty of salad and vegetables to fill up on!
  • Nighthawk4
    Nighthawk4 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I used to sit at the computer and snack all the time. Chocolate and crisps and sweets.

Since February when my Doctor put me on a low fat diet, I have cut those out completely. At first, it was very hard work, but I am starting to find I don't need them any more. As they used to give me indigestion a lot, I actually feel better without them.

I miss the meals at Burger King though :smile:
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I think you could indulge yourself a piece or two from time to time as long as the next day you get right back on track. When I feel the need I cheat but I always get right back on track the next day and sure I gain either a half a pound or a pound but I lose it right back :}
  • KittyCandy
    Options
    Chocolate: I love chocolate! I have some just about everyday. Sometimes I am able to just think about the way it smells or actually smell it but not eat it ... and sometimes that helps. I try not feel as though I am depriving myself....but it is hard sometimes.
  • Soxiez
    Options
    Kitty Candy (Sorry I don't know how to quote posts!) Ikea do a set of dessert scented candles.. the chocolate one is so good! So if just smelling it sorts out your cravings for you, I'd recommend picking one up!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Pizza is one of my all time favourites! But I eat it quite a lot!

Find a low calorie one you can enjoy as a meal. I have not touched Dominoes Pizza since discovering just how horrendous the calories are and if you actually visualise the amount of oil in them it will turn your stomach! I'm a huge fan of Pizza Express pizzas...the sloppy guiseppe feels like a lot more calories than it actually is (I think about 650 cals) or you can get the 500cal ones in the supermarket and in their restaurants.

Alternatively, make it into a reward for a super-hard workout or something.

OR - make an alternative at home! I'll quite often make toast with cheese and toppings on which seem to hit the craving spot quite nicely.
  • Soxiez
    Options
    Silly me, just realised the quote button was next to the reply one! Oops! Yeah I'm the same. I crave Dominoes all the time but looking up the 'nutritional' info does tend to make me not want it any more haha. Funny you should say Pizza Express, I'm going there tonight :) Gonna try one of their 500 cal ones, excited!
    Pizza is one of my all time favourites! But I eat it quite a lot!

Find a low calorie one you can enjoy as a meal. I have not touched Dominoes Pizza since discovering just how horrendous the calories are and if you actually visualise the amount of oil in them it will turn your stomach! I'm a huge fan of Pizza Express pizzas...the sloppy guiseppe feels like a lot more calories than it actually is (I think about 650 cals) or you can get the 500cal ones in the supermarket and in their restaurants.

Alternatively, make it into a reward for a super-hard workout or something.

OR - make an alternative at home! I'll quite often make toast with cheese and toppings on which seem to hit the craving spot quite nicely.