"different" ways to eat avocados?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I usually only put avocados in guacamole or on a sandwich. I know there are ways out there to put them in smoothies (I think I heard). Any suggestions other than the first two things I mentioned? Thanks!

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half, take out the pit and fill them with white albacore tuna.
  • ABaggett2010
    ABaggett2010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mash together two avocados, add two sweet n low packets, and a 1/4 cup of cocoa powder....make an awesome chocolate dipping sauce. Awesome with strawberries :)
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I have avocado toast. I mash half of a small avocado on toast. Next I put a scrambled egg white on top with some salsa. Very yummy. I also like using a half avocado mix with beans tuna and salsa
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Edamame Avocado salad with tomatoes and lemon Juice!Yummm.
  • shannonsjourney
    Options
    I use avocado in salad too! Mix it with whatever you want and it becomes a great alternative to salad dressing.
    I use: I whole avocado cut into small pieces; 2 cups of baby spinach; 1/4 of a spanish ognion diced, 1 medium tomato diced, red pepper diced and 1/4 of sunflour seeds. Pepper and a splash of lemon juice to taste and voila! You can also add some grilled chicken breast.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I make ice cream with them.

One big avocado, a can of coconut milk, lime juice, and a little sweetener. Blend it up and pop it in the ice cream maker (or just in a container in the freezer and stir it every once and a while so it doesn't freeze solid).
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    A dash of salt and a spoon.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    On a green salad.
    In a smoothie.
    Plain with balsamic vinegar.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Can you please explain the smoothie concept? I've done green monsters with spinach. Is it the same idea?
  • kdka54
    kdka54 Posts: 12
    Options
    cut into small pieces with or without tomatoes and add to 2% cottage cheese. good protein, healthy fats, and low GI carbs.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Can you please explain the smoothie concept? I've done green monsters with spinach. Is it the same idea?

I used some in my smoothie a few weeks ago with a leaf of raw kale, almond milk, strawberries, chia seeds. It makes the smoothie really thick. The texture may be a little off putting for some, use only about 1/4 of one and not so bad. You don't really taste it.

I also make a nice salad with sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatos, red onion, chopped avocado and roasted corn shaved off the cob, add some EVOO and a dash of lemon or a flavored vinegar.....delicious! You could toss in some chicken or sliced grilled tuna (or a can of garbanzo beans if you are meat free) and you have a whole meal.
  • noctilumina
    noctilumina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    They're also delicious in chilled summer soups. (I know some people don't like the idea of cold soups, but you asked for "different" ways to use them, and I haven't seen summer soups mentioned!)

Here's a super-simple recipe for a gazpacho-type soup with avocado:

3 large cloves garlic
    2 T chopped fresh Jalapeno pepper
    1.5 avocados, pitted and peeled
    4 C tomato juice
    1/4 C finely chopped cilantro
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
    1 T lemon juice

Puree the garlic, hot pepper, 1 avocado and 2 cups tomato juice in a blender until smooth. Pour into a pitcher or large bowl and and add the remaining tomato juice, cilantro, red onion, tomato, lemon juice and remaining 1/2 avocado (chopped). Mix and chill for at least an hour. Should make about 4 servings.