Eating back the exercise calories

Options
How do I know how much calories I should be eating back up after I work out that day? I am currently on the 1200 calories but I am not sure if I have documented everything correctly and also would like to know if I burned 500-700 calories in that day, do I need to eat back the 500-700 calories?

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    repetitive questions...refer to forums but to answer your question if your looking to lose weight only eat 1/2 to a 1/3 of your burned calories
  • llw1013
    llw1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes. Are you wearing a monitor that accurately tracks your calories? Don't go by the machine you are using in the gym.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If MFP has set your calories for you, it has already included the deficit you need to lose weight, so not eating them back can be dangerous, especially since you are very low in calories already.
  • LaniCanDoIt
    Options
    I am sorry for the repetitive question on the form. I have read quite a few but lost in transition.
  • LaniCanDoIt
    Options
    Do you have any recommendation on what HRM I should be investing in? I have thought of buying one but not so sure what to look for in it.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    If MFP has set your calories for you, it has already included the deficit you need to lose weight, so not eating them back can be dangerous, especially since you are very low in calories already.

^this^ :smile:
  • Flaming_Reef
    Flaming_Reef Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Exactly.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr. he/she will tell you what is best for you. For example, My dr said for me not to eat back my calories but my sister needs too eat hers back;. it depends on you and what your body needs
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Do you have any recommendation on what HRM I should be investing in? I have thought of buying one but not so sure what to look for in it.

I have the Polar FT4. Not too pricey and very good.
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options

A good, cheap one if the Polar FT4. I use it! And don't worry about the "repetitive" question. This is your first time asking, so it's not "repetitive" for you! It's a relative word. :D
  • Flaming_Reef
    Flaming_Reef Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Polar is very popular. I have the F6 (pink and I can swim with it) but there are many cheaper polar versions out there. Make sure you get one with a strap that goes around your ribcage for increased accuracy.
  • bethagon
    bethagon Posts: 18
    Options
    I figure that as long as your net calories is more than 1200, then you're good, BUT everybody I know on MFP who started off not eating their exercise calories ended up plateauing, and only when they ate back their exercise calories did they start losing again.
  • LaniCanDoIt
    Options
    Thank you for your understanding. I will also check into the HRM that you two recommend. Thanks so much for everyone's feedback.
  • Tessie1125
    Tessie1125 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't be sorry about asking questions, even if they are repetitive. This is a site that helps you in your weight loss journey, so personally, I'm proud of your ambition.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

depends on what you want it to do....I have a Polar FT4. It basically tracks my time and my calories burned. It gives me my HR during the exercise and tells me if I am in the "zone" or not. They can get really fancy or very simple.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Some HRM that allows you to set gender, height, weight, age and so on.
    I have been looking at HRM and I´m thinking of buying either Polar FT4 or FT7
    They show calories burnt and one of them tells you if you are in burn zone or fitness zone.
    Google and find out what might fit you best then go take a look at them at the store.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have had success with eating 80 to 100 percent of my exercise calories back. It's important that your body gets enough fuel and nourishment when you are working out!
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do not go out to make sure I eat back my exercise calories.

I do not go out to make sure I do not eat back my exercise calories

I plan my meals for the day. If I am in the red in the morning I KNOW I have to exercise or I will go hungry as I cannot eat what I know will satisfy me for the day.

Try and not look to hard at these things but just try and stay in the green rather than the red.
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry too much. You do need to eat sufficient calories to maintain an exercise routine but if one day you eat them back and another you don't it won't matter. What will matter is if overall you are achieving a calorie deficit because that is what governs whether you lose weight or not.
  • lourolfes
    lourolfes Posts: 13
    Options
    I'd grab a polar ft4 or ft7 ($55-70 online) and eat back half of what it says you burned during your exercise. It's motivating and will definitely help in the weight loss/fitness journey.

Good Luck!