Jogging for first 5K

Options
Anyone want to try and train for a 5K, I need some encouragement and maybe a little guilt if I dont get out there and jog! I've been able to Jog for about a mile and a half, and I just started this past Sunday...
Thing is, the 5K I want to do is Dec. 5th!!! Does anyone think this is feasible for me?

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Do you run a lot? Or was this mile and a half your first run?

From my reading you should only increase your mileage/time by 10% each week.

If you just started running I would try to take it easy and look into the Couch to 5K program. You don't want to injure yourself by pushing your body too hard before it is used to running. :flowerforyou:
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Are you wanting to run the entire 5k or do a run/walk. I think it's feasible if you want to do a run/walk but I agree you don't want to increase your mileage too fast. It will just lead to injury.

If you're open to doing a run/walk I would suggest running for 5 min, walking for 1. See how that goes. (this is assuming you ran a mile and a half straight with no walking).
  • MPH2
    MPH2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. Set a 5K course for yourself today. Run as far as you can then walk/run the rest. Do that 3 times a week and you will be at 5K run before you know it.

The only limitations of the body are those of the mind.
  • fahensley
    fahensley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, this week was my first time trying since about 2 years ago.
    This 5K is a run/walk race, but I was hoping to be able to jog it all! But I think it is a little soon to be trying to double my time in 3 weeks.

Thanks guys
  • fahensley
    fahensley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks MPH2, I think I can do it, and I know I won't push myself too hard. Did that once and had a couple surgeries.... So lesson learned!

We will see how it goes!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be your long-distance running buddy! :bigsmile:

I definitely need someone to hold me accountable and get me on the treadmill. We should report to each other (via message here or email) after each run! What do you think?

Training for 5K is all about intervals. If you jog comfortably for about 4-6 minutes and run for 2-3 min, you can run 3 miles in no time! I find that it's not as strenuous as running at one pace the whole time.

Good luck!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Yes, this week was my first time trying since about 2 years ago.
    This 5K is a run/walk race, but I was hoping to be able to jog it all! But I think it is a little soon to be trying to double my time in 3 weeks.

Thanks guys

Glad to hear it is a walk/run! Then definitely do it! Just be careful - you don't want to injure yourself over one 5K race. :flowerforyou:
  • sjhnny
    Options
    The "Couch to 5K" program is great! I did it a few years ago, but never quite finished it :(
    It used to be free, but I think they charge for it now, boo. But I am not much of a runner and even I could handle the progressive schedule.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    The "Couch to 5K" program is great! I did it a few years ago, but never quite finished it :(
    It used to be free, but I think they charge for it now, boo. But I am not much of a runner and even I could handle the progressive schedule.

No, it's still free! :)