delicious grilling ideas please!

Options
AnnaYESiCANdoIT
AnnaYESiCANdoIT Posts: 86 Member
Ill be doing some grilling this wknd and want some healthy tasty ideas :) I dont like pork tho so I wont need anything that contains it :) thanks!:drinker:

Replies

• MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    chicken basted w/ bbq sauce. grilled veggies (really good if you marinate mushrooms, onions, and peppers in teryaki and then grill). grilled peaches and pineapple for dessert
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    Grilled Zucchini...
    Grilled Asparagus...
    Grilled Portobellos...
    Grilled Salmon...
    Grilled Chicken...
    Grilled Butternut Squash...
    Grilled...
    Grilled...

If you can cook it on the stove top or in the oven, you can grill it. Only it tastes better grilled.

Everything I grill usually starts out with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt, after that anything goes.
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    You can make healthy schicabobs? I usually make some with lightly marinated chicken, red and green peppers, onions, sometimes potatoes and tomatoes.
  • jbibas
    jbibas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggie pizza--dead easy and so good! I use the Pillsbury dough that comes in a can (the thin crust one grills up nicely). If you have a pizza stone, put that on your grill before you preheat. Otherwise, just use a cookie sheet with a flat edge so you can slide the dough off.

I really love the combination of sauteed mushrooms, carmelized red onion, sauteed spinach, black olives, and goat cheese, but you can put whatever you want on yours. A margherita pizza is good and easy too--1/2 pizza sauce, fresh sliced moz., and fresh basil shredded.

I have a gas grill, and for pizza I preheat with all three burners on high, then turn off the center burner and let everything cool down to about 400 degrees. Put the pizza stone in the middle if you are using it.

Sprinkle (preheated) pizza stone or cookie sheet with semolina (cream of wheat) or cornmeal and then place the dough spread out as much as possible. Let the dough precook for about 5 minutes, then flip the whole crust over. If you are not using a pizza stone, slide the crust off the cookie sheet and directly onto the grill. Add toppings, and cook another 12 minutes with the lid down or until crust is nicely browned and cheese (if using) is melted and slightly brown. Just be sure the crust doesn't get too brown. Keep an eye on the thermometer to make sure the heat doesn't get too high!

Also, I've been grilling salmon with a light homemade teriyaki sauce that comes out very nicely as well. It works better in a grill basket because the salmon doesn't always want to hold together after being flipped, but I've done it directly on the grill too. Grill up vegetables on the side--I just slice them up, toss a little olive oil, and into the basket they go on the grill until nicely done.

You could also grill tuna or salmon burgers (Whole Foods and Trader Joes' have nice premade frozen ones) if you are looking for something light and tasty.
  • AnnaYESiCANdoIT
    AnnaYESiCANdoIT Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggie pizza--dead easy and so good! I use the Pillsbury dough that comes in a can (the thin crust one grills up nicely). If you have a pizza stone, put that on your grill before you preheat. Otherwise, just use a cookie sheet with a flat edge so you can slide the dough off.

I really love the combination of sauteed mushrooms, carmelized red onion, sauteed spinach, black olives, and goat cheese, but you can put whatever you want on yours. A margherita pizza is good and easy too--1/2 pizza sauce, fresh sliced moz., and fresh basil shredded.

I have a gas grill, and for pizza I preheat with all three burners on high, then turn off the center burner and let everything cool down to about 400 degrees. Put the pizza stone in the middle if you are using it.

Sprinkle (preheated) pizza stone or cookie sheet with semolina (cream of wheat) or cornmeal and then place the dough spread out as much as possible. Let the dough precook for about 5 minutes, then flip the whole crust over. If you are not using a pizza stone, slide the crust off the cookie sheet and directly onto the grill. Add toppings, and cook another 12 minutes with the lid down or until crust is nicely browned and cheese (if using) is melted and slightly brown. Just be sure the crust doesn't get too brown. Keep an eye on the thermometer to make sure the heat doesn't get too high!

Also, I've been grilling salmon with a light homemade teriyaki sauce that comes out very nicely as well. It works better in a grill basket because the salmon doesn't always want to hold together after being flipped, but I've done it directly on the grill too. Grill up vegetables on the side--I just slice them up, toss a little olive oil, and into the basket they go on the grill until nicely done.

You could also grill tuna or salmon burgers (Whole Foods and Trader Joes' have nice premade frozen ones) if you are looking for something light and tasty.

thanks for the great ideas!!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WhiskeyCity
    WhiskeyCity Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Grilled Zucchini...
    Grilled Asparagus...
    Grilled Portobellos...
    Grilled Salmon...
    Grilled Chicken...
    Grilled Butternut Squash...
    Grilled...
    Grilled...

If you can cook it on the stove top or in the oven, you can grill it. Only it tastes better grilled.

Everything I grill usually starts out with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt, after that anything goes.

+eleventymillion!!1!!

I like a bit of spice w/ my chicken so I'll take a chicken breast, marinate it Teriyaki with some crused red pepper for 12-hours or so. It gives it a little heat but not overwhelming. Most of the peppers stay in the marinate, not on the chicken.

Also, I LOVE to grill veggies like above. Bell Peppers, Corn on the Cob, Yellow Squash, just about anything. My buddy grills Cauliflower and it tates AWESOME. Slice a head of cauliflower lognwise about a 1/2-inch thick. Put some spray butter on it and grill it up. Tastes like popcorn.

Have fun with your BBQ!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Take a wide piece of aluminium foil. Double it up,
    make a pocket by folding three side so they are water tight,
    slip in a whole but gutted trout, a couple long strips of cucumber some fennel fronds, a few very thin slices of garlic, and half a glass of water/white wine.
    Fold up the fourth side really well and place on the grill away from the main heat, leave till cooked serve and Eat.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hubby makes kabobs. Uses chicken and steak sorry all I know is it is a very low fat one). Once in a while uses shrimp. Adds fresh bell mushrooms, onion, and bell peppers (red, yellow, and green) Seasons with Mrs. Dash. So yummy!!!! Corn on the cob grilled is great! Sorry I do not know how to make that but maybe someone else does.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Grill some fruit! Peaches are especially good.

It sounds weird, but we like to make grilled caesar salads. Cut a romaine heart in half length wise, rinse it and lay it cut-side down to dry a bit. After you've done the rest of your grilling, leave the grill on high, drizzle some olive oil, salt, and pepper on the cut side of the romaine, and put it on the grill just long enough to give it some grill marks. Chop it up and toss it with some caesar dressing - NOM!