Ruuning/Jogging and being safe.

Options
13»

Replies

• fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post! i always get a bit nervous when i'm out and about (mostly because the drivers around here aren't the best, lol!), and your tips will definitely come in handy. i typically carry pepper spray, but am going to look into the foaming version you mentioned.

and Awesome job on taking down the dude with the knife! :bigsmile:
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Great post! Thanks!
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me glad I live in Scotland. We don't have guns.

I'm all for risk reduction but if I had to carry a weapon to run I would just go to a gym and do it inside. I'm so sorry for anyone who has to do this. :frown:

Well that's certainly a strange thought process. You're glad that your government doesn't allow you to have a firearm for self-defense? Why would this actually make you happy? You're not forced to have one but it's always nice to have the option available should you desire it.

It's not a strange thought process at all. I agree with larkiedeek...I would rather run inside than feel the need to take a gun running with me. I'm glad that there are strict rules on gun ownership in the UK...that makes me feel safer.

Thank you to the original poster for your tips though :-))

You are aware that you can also be attacked inside at a gym right? Creepers are EVERYWHERE! I am just saying, you should always be aware of your surroundings, and don't EVER think you are always safe. I personally am a big fan of my Smith & Wesson M&P Sub Compact .40, even at home where every feels safe. Like the OP said, gun control is only for people who obey the law.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me glad I live in Scotland. We don't have guns.

I'm all for risk reduction but if I had to carry a weapon to run I would just go to a gym and do it inside. I'm so sorry for anyone who has to do this. :frown:

To each their own. However I'm not going to hide and shelter myself due to fear. Getting in a car and driving is dangerous due to massive stupidity these days; are you going to stop driving or riding in a car? I love running outside and I love running alone. I also love firearms and if I choose to carry one for protection it doesn't mean I'm in a dangerous situation. It means I'm protecting myself from the possibility that yes even Scotland can provide. Danger can confront you stepping out of a gym! You going to stop using the gym? Don't feel sorry for me, you do it your way, I'll do it mine. I'm proud of my gun rights and would feel unsafe if I wasn't allowed to own a gun; but this isn't the thread for that debate.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I live/run in Brooklyn under the BQE and i PRAY someone decides to try something. Im itching to see what a badass I am with adrenaline and temper and a target.
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I always take a dog with me but I have a tendency to go in not so popular areas, so I could be kidnapped and I bet no one would even see it. But this topic often pops into my mind after I watch two separate true story crime shows that both involved women running alone. 1 was wearing her ipod when she was attacked from behind in her neighborhood which was quite populated. The other was running at dusk and was talking to her boyfriend on his cell phone when he heard her telling him she was being abducted. While I would love to take my ipod with me, I just don't feel comfortable with it. I'll have to pick up some pepper spray.
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I live/run in Brooklyn under the BQE and i PRAY someone decides to try something. Im itching to see what a badass I am with adrenaline and temper and a target.

Always fear a woman scorned... That is life lesson number 1 !!!

However, a fist to face conflict can be quite painful for both parties involved. Broken knuckles are no laughing matter. and Tae bo does not count as a self defense class!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Be careful what you wish for. Adrenaline & a temper are no match for a knife or even an ambush.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I live in a pretty safe area where most of the crime is bike buglary. Even so, I usually do part of my run with a my big dog and sometimes I carry the cell. A constant I have is my pocket knife which is always on me, working out or not. And I am happy to not listen to music while out on the street because I love the sounds of nature. Thanks for the advice on the goID.com. I'm going to have to get one since I refuse give up working out outdoors.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    whatever im vicious when cornered
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    If you're going to carry something, get training on how to use it. Also if you can opt for something that is more difficult to take from you. My wife and I use this for just that reason:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suntetsu
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you're going to carry something, get training on how to use it. Also if you can opt for something that is more difficult to take from you. My wife and I use this for just that reason:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suntetsu

That is why my most recommended tool would be a ranged one. I highly favor the Foam OC spray. Non lethal, and easy to use. with no real training needed. i do advise getting a couple of practice units and trying them out, just so you know how it sprays. but otherwise the premise is pretty simple. Point bad end at attackers face. spray. Repeat Steps one and two until he begs for mercy...
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Great thread. My husband is very reluctant to letting me run alone, even though we live in a "safe" area. It´s not possible for me to have a co-runner, and weapon of any kind (including pepper spray) is not allowed in my country. As others mentioned, I bring my dog. I just started that, and she is still learning to adapt the pace as I go, but she is getting better every time. I show my husband my route before I go, bring my cell phone and some ID. That calms him down a little. I don´t listen to music. The advice here are great, and it´s nice to know that I do something right. I would not give up running and a treadmill would kill me with boredom.

Thanks for the advises.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I run alone or pushing my 19 month old in his stroller. While I make sure to stay on high traffic trails , I can't take the chance that someone or something would attack us. Its my job to protect him. I carry a Kimber Pepperblaster. Its a pepperspray that will shoot 13 feet. Its not aerosol, so it even shoots through rain. I have my CCP, but in a dangerous situation, (such as a dog attack) it is non lethal, so im more likely to use it, instead of worrying about shooting a firearm and worrying about the reprocussions. Unfortunately, I have had to use it. It works great. Ill always carry one.