First 5K coming up July 4th

Options
I am participating in my first 5K next week, and I am getting more anxious about it every day. I am getting in pretty good shape lately, eating right, good cardio/strength/flexibity workouts, but I am not a great runner and I'm slow (13 min mile). I don't think that's going to change much by next Weds, so I guess I'm just looking for a little feedback about 5Ks and what I should expect as a slow runner who probably can't run more than .5 miles without walking for a few minutes. There have to be others there in my boat too, right? Maybe even some 100% walkers? I just want to set reasonable expectations beforehand so I can stop stressing about it. Thanks in advance for your advice and experience! :blushing:

Replies

• free2live72003
    Options
    Not trying to be a downer, but the hardest 5K i ever did was a 4th of July race last year due to the heat and humidity in Tennessee.

You'll do fine, just start the race well hydrated and stop for water as needed regardless of your time.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Best advice...GO OUT SLOW...find your pace and stick to it. Most people get caught up in all the excitement,goout too fast then die. Have faith...YOU CAN and WILL finish !!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    You will do great! Usually 5K's attract all kinds of people... walkers, joggers, runners.

When I first started running I ran about 13 min mile and I did fine. I just reminded myself no matter how I did (or how slow I was), I was way ahead of the people that didn't even bother to sign up for the race.

Good luck.... and most of all, have fun!! :flowerforyou:
  • leanne5025
    leanne5025 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow, that must have been tough. Lucky for me then that I live in Sacramento, and it's only supposed to be 91 or so that day. Also, the race is at 7:45am.

Thanks!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You'll be just fine. There will be all kinds of people there, from the super fast runners, to medium and slow runners, runners/walkers, and there will be some who will walk the whole thing. Be sure to line up towards the back at the start line so that you don't get overwhelmed or tempted to run to fast with the faster runners at the beginning (also better for safety reasons). Go at your own pace and enjoy the experience!
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I love 5K's, and I too am running one on July 4th. I live in Texas, and our highs have been between 100-110 this week. The heat, even at 8am, has been someting else!!!

But anyhow, I was only able to run my first 5k all the way through about 2 weeks ago. I am hoping to run this one again, but we will see. I am very slow...like jogging a mile at 11.30 slow lol. I used to do 5k's in intervals though. If you have a watch or an iphone, you can easily do this. Maybe try 3 minutes joggine, 2 minutes walking...or something like that.

If you want to just go for it, start slow. The first mile is always the worst, and the last is the easiest. And don't feel bad about walking, A LOT of people will be walking. Good luck!!!
  • leanne5025
    Options
    If you want to just go for it, start slow. The first mile is always the worst, and the last is the easiest. And don't feel bad about walking, A LOT of people will be walking. Good luck!!!

Thanks for this~ it's what I need to hear! :flowerforyou:
  • leanne5025
    Options
    You'll be just fine. There will be all kinds of people there, from the super fast runners, to medium and slow runners, runners/walkers, and there will be some who will walk the whole thing. Be sure to line up towards the back at the start line so that you don't get overwhelmed or tempted to run to fast with the faster runners at the beginning (also better for safety reasons). Go at your own pace and enjoy the experience!

Thanks! I am afraid I'll get caught up in the excitement and overdo it too soon. I know the serious runners see the 5K as a sprint, lol, so I'll be carefull to stay clear of them!
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I did a run-walk ratio for my first race and it was just fine! Be careful if/when you stop to walk though, so that you don't cut someone else off right behind you. If I walk, I just work my way toward the side and slow down gradually to avoid this.

You'll love it! I crossed my first finish line four years ago (doing the run-walk) and this year I ran a ten mile race with NO walk breaks. I am slow, but I love it.

You will too! Have fun!