Tomatos? Coincidence?

Options
Hi,

I am on a medically administered weight loss plan. I just have to get that out of the way before people start to look at my food diary and start judging.

Has anyone heard of weight loss stopping when they eat tomatoes? I was eating stewed tomatoes each day with lunch and my weight loss plateaued.
I then stopped and I started to lose again. I started to eat a tomato with dinner and bam, I stopped losing again. I stopped eating the tomato and 3 pounds came off.

I know it sounds crazy, but can they be related at all? Just coincidence?

Seena

Replies

• Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No answers so I'm going to take that as a no... guess I am just going crazy then! Lol
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think the answer could lie in what you were eating *with* the tomatoes...but honestly, i think it's coincidence.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I sure hope not, because I eat at least one huge tomato every day! LOVE them!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Cant think of any reasons for tomatoes to react that way on you.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Stewed from a can? Loaded with sodium - chances are your weight loss plateaued due to fluid retention.
  • kelleymj
    kelleymj Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat stewed tomatoes and fresh tomatoes several times a week....I consistantly lose 1 lb a week! My stewed tomatoes are either no sodium or low sodium!
  • imogenjade
    imogenjade Posts: 131
    Options
    i lost weight when i had lots of salad including tomatoes so it might be a myth? xxxx
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    too many tomatoes can be carby... (if you watch carbs)
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 tomatoes a day, it's more likely that it's because you were eating them from a can, or something else you were eating.
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    going on a limb but maybe your body just doesn't like them. like a sensitivity? But hey if you know it triggers that just don't eat them :)
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of tomatoes every day, and I've been losing about 2.5 pounds per week. I agree with other posters, coincidence.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest that maybe (if they are canned) the sodium was doing you in with them.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I eat 1-2 tomatos every day and I have been losing 2 lbs every week since I started.
  • Marlei5610
    Marlei5610 Posts: 16
    Options
    That's interesting. I eat tomatoes most days (a few fresh cherry tomatoes), and I have difficultly losing weight. Then again, I've always had difficultly losing weight!

A manager of a health food shop told me last year that humans aren't supposed to eat tomatoes because they're from Deadly Nightshade family of plants. I ignored him because I like tomatoes and think they're full of nutrients and fibre. Maybe he was right.

I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else posts evidence of tomatoes being detrimental to health/weight loss.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    going on a limb but maybe your body just doesn't like them. like a sensitivity? But hey if you know it triggers that just don't eat them :)

I would tend to want to check this avenue out, it is possible. Fluid retention is another possibility. Food sensitivities are common and can at time lead to full out allergies if you do not make yourself aware of them.. Best of luck.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    too many tomatoes can be carby... (if you watch carbs)

Carbs from fresh fruit/veggies isn't what you have to worry about. According to my dietician, you can eat an unlimited amount of tomatoes every day.

Here is the list of "free" foods/beverages straight from my menu:

Sugar-free gum, water, coffee, tea, club soda, cucumbers, salad greens, cabbage, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans (fresh or frozen), zucchini, tomato, green/yellow/red peppers, berries, citrus fruit, apple, orange, peach, watermelon, cantaloupe, no sugar added whole fruit bars.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I just ate a bowl of tomatoes, almost 300 grams, for a whopping 50 calories. I've never heard of them negatively affecting weight loss, unless they're on a pizza.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I eat tomatoes most days (a few fresh cherry tomatoes), and I have difficultly losing weight. Then again, I've always had difficultly losing weight!

A manager of a health food shop told me last year that humans aren't supposed to eat tomatoes because they're from Deadly Nightshade family of plants. I ignored him because I like tomatoes and think they're full of nutrients and fibre. Maybe he was right.

I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else posts evidence of tomatoes being detrimental to health/weight loss.

They are part of the nightshade family. Among them are tomato, potato, eggplant, and peppers of all kinds, except black pepper. Tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, pimentos, paprika, cayenne, and Tabasco sauce are also classified as nightshade foods. There are many people who stay away from many of these. And food sensitivities can sometimes run in families. Best of luck.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/027978_nightshade_vegetables.html#ixzz1z8x1D6tb
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options

They are part of the nightshade family. Among them are tomato, potato, eggplant, and peppers of all kinds, except black pepper. Tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, pimentos, paprika, cayenne, and Tabasco sauce are also classified as nightshade foods. There are many people who stay away from many of these. And food sensitivities can sometimes run in families. Best of luck.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/027978_nightshade_vegetables.html#ixzz1z8x1D6tb

Very interesting... thank you both!
  • Marlei5610
    Marlei5610 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you, Eve. :-)