Yoga...ever done it? *Sorry I post so much ):*

Options
I've been looking into yoga a lot more thoroughly lately and I'm curious to try it. I'm not flexible at all though. So do you have an DVD recommendations for a beginner? I was going to do yoga and kickboxing every other day in addition to 30DS. Does yoga also melt inches?

Thank you all for all your help and I apologize for posting so much ><

Replies

• moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Post away, no need to apologize...I have little info on yoga though. My mom and I took a class and either the instructor was horrible or we didn't like yoga- not sure which. I did prefer pilates though. I use some dvd's that I picked up at the book store inexpensively, but I took 3 classes first to make sure I was doing the movements correctly.
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    I do yoga as much as possible, i try for every night. I wasn't flexible at all at first, but now I am. Depending on what kind of yoga you do depends on the inches you lose. I do Jillian Yoga Meltdown for weight loss and toning, I also do a night yoga to relax before bed. I personally love it.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown, and I also like Rodney Yee's dvd's as well. Currently have Core Cross Train and Ultimate Power Yoga. Going to look into purchasing Yogalosphy next!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    oh Jillian...guess I'm investing in her again, haha<3
  • tasmin21
    tasmin21 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There are many different kinds of yoga. I find that I love some, and despise others. The problem being that learning which is which can be expensive if you buy all the DvDs.

Maybe check out your local library? A lot of times they'll have exercise dvds you can borrow, and it might help you get a better idea of what you enjoy.
  • harryandsally
    harryandsally Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh, do at least rent a Rodney Yee video. Even if you end up hating yoga, you'll want to watch the video just to enjoy the view. LOL
  • Kandy0202
    Kandy0202 Posts: 32
    Options
    i do alot of yoga jillian is good yes and you can also look into Denise Austin dvds i do alot of hers and loove them
  • michellematteson
    Options
    I posted the same topic myself a couple of weeks ago and someone recommended I started with this series:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HAO8NM/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

I got it and I'm enjoying it so far, and at $21 for 3 DVDs it's not bad. I haven't noticed a difference in my body yet, except yoga seems to help a lot of the sore muscles that I get from the other exercises that I do. my goal is to touch my toes at some point. :happy:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    http://www.hulu.com/yoga-zone

these are pretty good. the commercial breaks are sort of annoying though.

try it before you buy it!
  • woogy1956
    woogy1956 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Steve Ross is absolutely the best, imho... he used to be on tv but was taken off for some reason. If you google him maybe he has dvd's and there are a few sessions on youtube. Love him.:love:
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I love yoga! It really helps with my other workouts too...I just feel like I stand taller and it increases my stride when I walk. Anyway, I mainly do classes at the Y. I've gone to several classes and picked the teachers that I like the most and go to their classes. With work, I end up doing a 7pm class on Thursday night and another one on Saturday morning. As far as videos - I like Targets Gaiam series. (Rodney Yee does some of them).
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga! I personally prefer going to a class, but I know that's not an option for everyone. I wouldn't say it's necessarily the best way to slim down, but it really depends. When you're first starting, trust me, you get pretty sweaty, haha. From some things I've read (sorry, can't think of where), it's not exactly a fat blasting workout, but it's great for flexibility and strength. And don't feel bad if you can't do the moves well. It takes a long time to be able to do things the way the trainers do it. There was a point I did yoga quite a bit and I still wasn't even close to doing it perfectly!
  • kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE yoga... so much so that it is part of the reason I am getting into the physical therapy arena. Right now i'm doing an intermediate class at the Y that totally kicks by behind (although a new studio opened up a few blocks from my house- gonna have to check it out). It's not necessarily going to be something that you will lose lots of inches, but like other's have said it will definitely help with your flexibility. I also do it for my sanity's sake- having that hour of just focusing on the moves helps to decompresses me. As for videos, the Jillian Michael one is very good. The only downside to using videos is that there is no one to tell you if your form is correct.

Just remember if you do give it a try- if something hurts stop.

*side note* at my first physical after having done yoga for a year, I had 'grown' about 1/4 of an inch- it's due to the lengthening of the spine
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Yoga is awesome, but if you have't done it before I would recommend taking at least one class first so you get some real instruction on your form. Classes around me often allow you to drop in to any class for about $10 to $15. It is really worth it!
  • fergyxx
    fergyxx Posts: 16
    Options
    Just going to jump on the bandwagon here.

I have my Wii Fit and really enjoy the yoga exercises on there.

Just out of curiosity - anyone do these? Do they do anything in terms of results? Or are they too basic to have any impact?
  • jennipea382
    jennipea382 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just going to jump on the bandwagon here.

I have my Wii Fit and really enjoy the yoga exercises on there.

Just out of curiosity - anyone do these? Do they do anything in terms of results? Or are they too basic to have any impact?

They are very basic, but I think they are great for beginners. It helped me at first really understand balance. For example, the warrior pose. I think a lot of people want to lean a lot more on that front leg. But the correct way to do it is keeping a balance between the two legs. I don't think I would have understood that as well if I had just used a DVD or something. There are some more difficult poses on there, so I don't think it's totally worthless. I just like being on the floor to do the poses because I feel more balanced on the ground vs. on the board.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be flexible. Many people can't do the crazy bend in half double jointed poses you see in photographs. If you have a good instructor they will teach you how to modify for your skill level. Using yoga blocks helps me a TON. Personally I would try to go to an instructor so they can watch you and teach you how to pose well. Also practice up against a wall. Makes a huge difference doing balance poses that way.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yoga rocks! I recommend going to a class over a video though, especially for first timers. The instructor will make sure you are correctly in each position to avoid injury. Hatha yoga is good for starting (sometimes places list level 1, level 1-2, power, etc.) You don't have to be flexible to start, it's very at your own pace and non-judgmental. If you check Groupon or Living Social for your area usually there are some great deals. Or if you go to a place like Lululemon, they will have special offers on their bulletin board for new clients for local yoga studios in the area.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I find I didn't lose weight but after a week or two of doing it every night I slept way better so I had more energy during the day (even after less time in bed (so more efficient/deeper sleep maybe) and also that my cardio was way better lol, I think that had to do with being able to control and be more efficient with my breathing :P
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to get up the nerve to go to a local yoga class for a couple of months now. Someone recommended it to me as a way to balance out the thrashing my body and mind gets throughout the week.

One day I will go and post a thread about whether or not I felt like a complete creep.