Question about excess skin after weight loss

Options
COMPLETELY NAIVE question ahead..

So I have 135 pounds to lose to be at an ideal weight for my height. I happened to turn on the t.v a few nights ago and saw the end of one of those extreme make over weight loss editions where the people lose over 100 pounds but closer to 200 pounds in a years time and in the one I saw the lady had skin surgery to remove over 6 feet of hanging skin (she started at 355 --was at about 170 pounds when she had the surgery and ended up at 145ish at the end 1 year later so she lost 210 pounds in a year) This is similar to the kind of rapid drastic weight loss I saw in my aunt that had gastric by pass and then had to have a tummy tuck

My question is this-- is the excess skin problem more avoidable if you lose weight at a more regular sensible rate of time...or because I have over 135 pounds to lose is it likely I will get down to 135 (from starting weight of 270) and have so much extra skin that I will HAVE to have surgery to get rid of it?---I am losing at what I consider a pretty normal rate right now anywhere between 2-4 pounds per week (first month I lost 12 pounds) so I dont see it as drastic rapid weight loss like you see on some of these tv shows...

I guess what I am asking is..will my skin readjust? --I know it is an organ I am just wondering what kind of changes it can make after having been abused for over 10 years...or am I just too stretched out at this point?

Do all people that have large amounts of weight (over 100 lbs) to lose have to get skin removed or tummy tucks etc once the weight has come off or are their certain exercises (weights etc) I can do to help my skin readjust?? or is it futile and I need to start saving up money for cosmetic surgery now???

Is this completely an elective procedure? Is there any hope for insurance coverage? What kind of cost as we even talking about...

Thanks in advance for for input...sorry for being such a NOOB and naive.

Replies

• antiwings
    antiwings Posts: 34
    Options
    If you loose it slowly, as in 1lb a week, and tone up then you should be fine!
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Everyone's skin elasticity can be different, so you won't really know until you get closer to your goal weight. Not helpful, I know! :laugh:

If you have inelastic skin, then no matter how slow you lose weight it might still be loose.

If someone has 100+ pounds to lose I would consider them very lucky if they didn't end up with some loose skin regardless of the time taken to drop the pounds.

With 135 pounds to lose I would guess that it is possible for your skin to recover. There are no exercises that target loose skin specifically, but exercise to build muscle under the skin can help the skin appear less loose when your body fat % gets lower.

As far as insurance, I have heard that it is almost always an elective procedure unless you have so much skin that the excess is causing rashes and other skin problems. In that case insurance might cover it.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well I have lost about 93 pounds so far in 9 months. My loose skin isn't TOO bad but I'm not happy with my lower belly. It just hangs. I'm also not very happy with my arms. I have about 20-30 more pounds I want to lose, and once I get to that point, I'm going to focus more on lifting heavier. Right now, my main focus is on cardio, although I do use the weight machines 2-3 times a week. I do think the slower you lose, the better chances you have of your skin tightening up as you go. Also, I believe it depends on age and genetics. I started out at 259 and now weigh 166. My main point is, it's not as bad as you might expect but everyone is different.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    exercise to build muscle under the skin can help the skin appear less loose when your body fat % gets lower.

Also to add to this -- when some people claim they have loose skin, they still have quite a bit of fat attached to the skin exaggerating the problem. So getting your bf% as low as you can get it for your gender will make the loose skin you might actually have look a hell of a lot less scary.

Cut the fat, add some muscle mass, and drink LOTS of water. Don't let it bother you after today, because it's pointless.
  • smcwllms
    smcwllms Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 43, and I have personally lost 115 lbs since October of 2011- eight months. I have a few more pounds to go. I have a small amount of excess skin, but it is exactly under there where the remaining fat is. I am pretty sure that the skin is tightening up, the more I lose. I work out a lot, running, P90X, and tabata, along with weight training, and I think that has helped tremendously with not having a great deal of excess skin. Everyone's body responds differently.
    Hope this helps.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this question! I wanted to know the same thing....
  • SparklesPlenty
    SparklesPlenty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I lost weight over a very slowtime and still have loose saggy skin. It sucks. Three doctors have said only a tummy tuck will fix it. Boo.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    After losing over 170 pounds, I have some around my stomach and under the arms. It is gradually getting less and less. It doesn't really bother me as I basically look the same only in smaller proportion. I thought it would be a lot worse.

I like to drink plenty of water to help the elasticity.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. I was told to drink lots of water, lose slowly, and add strengthening into my cardio and it would help. I have lost 81 pounds and so far so good. I still have 100 pounds to go and I know I will have some excess skin because I have been obese most of my life. I have had a couple of friends who lost over 100 pounds and they did not have much excess.

I really think it depends on your age, hydration, and the way you lose it. If you lose over 200 pounds in one year, you will have hanging skin. If you lose 200 pounds over three years, you will have less hanging skin.

Good Luck!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 80 bls and have some loose skin, it was worse but as I've been working hard on toning, staying hydrated and the simple factor of time it is getting better.

I have two guy friends who have lost over 100lbs each. One has almost no loose skin the other has a fair bit especially on his chest,back, stomach area. Both are in really good shape, fairly muscular, and eat decently clean with some indulgences. The one who has very little loose skin lost weight quickly and not in a very healthy way, however it's been a while since he lost the weight so the time since he lost and his age when he lost could have been a factor. My friend with loose skin lost slower, did it healthier but also did it recently and was older when he decided to lose.

My point is that everybody is different. Just as we all lose differently, react differently to exercise and eating styles, so our bodies will react differently when it comes to how it changes during our weight loss.

I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey, don't let this concern derail you. :flowerforyou:
  • j2tyco
    j2tyco Posts: 42
    Options
    thanks so much for all the replies they really do help as I have had this on my mind since seeing that show...stupid tv! LOL
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have lost 95 pounds and have very little loose skin. I lift heavy now but before I did Pilates. Water + cocoa butter help. You can check my profile photos out for some ab shots to see where my loose skin is.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have loose skin, but I'm sure it isn't as bad as the people who have quickly lost weight (lap band, gastric bypass). I agree losing it slowly, and weight training are such important things. Weight training really does change the body in ways cardio never can.