After all of the success

Options
definitelyval
definitelyval Posts: 104 Member
Hello all!

Congrats to everyone on their success! I know this might seem like a personal question, but I would like to know: for those who have lost 100 pounds or more, did you have any trouble with loose/sagging skin? Anyone get surgery like a tummy tuck or lift, or anything? I'm SO NOT trying to undermine anyone at all. I'm currently saving for a tummy tuck/breast life that I think I will need after I lose all my weight, but I am wondering if it's necessary? Anyone out there who got trim and tight, and had no need for intervention after losing tons of weight. Thank you! Seriously, I hope I don't offend anyone. :)

Replies

• CupcakeKendra
    CupcakeKendra Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am also wondering the same thing. I need to lose around 100...
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This worries me a lot! It's why I don't want to lose the weight too quickly. :/
  • definitelyval
    Options
    This worries me a lot! It's why I don't want to lose the weight too quickly. :/

Yes, I guess losing it slowly is a good way to avoid the extra sag...
  • nachobunny
    nachobunny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good question, I don't think anyone should be offended :)
  • KathyChampi
    KathyChampi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered the contestants on Biggest Loser if they had surgery for skin sagging. I was watching a show extreme weight loss and this girl lost around 185 lbs and she had to have it done she looked amazing. I would think it would be on how much weight you lose and the elasticity of the skin.
  • bekkihotmomma
    bekkihotmomma Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i have lost 30 pound over the last four months and understand about the skin not being firm...i was wonder the same thing my legs tightened up but the skin on the tummy is bad...wonder how much it costs to cut it off????
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am also concerned about this issue. My children really did a number on my stomach in terms of stretch marks. In my opinion I think it would be easier for someone who does not have a lot of stretch marks on their abdomen to be able to tighten up their stomach using exercises even with a significant weight loss. However, someone like me, whose stomach skin is already destroyed may need to have a procedure. I figure if I save up and don't end up needing it, then I have money for an awesome vacation or new wardrobe. Good luck to you! I hope you don't end up needing any procedures!
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I read someone else's post in another thread that said toning exercises and drinking lots water help a lot with excess skin during and after weight loss. However, I'm only looking to lose 30ish pounds and I've just started so personally I'm not sure!
  • SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Your age and the elasticity of your skin will be a factor. For example my mom and I are both loosing weight and have lost roughly the same amount. She has some skin sagging yet mine is still tight. Our arms are okay and legs and while my stomach seems fine hers is not. Then again my mom and I have a 20 year age difference. Both of us eat healthy though.
  • trapperanne
    trapperanne Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you are young you should not have too much trouble. I heard to drink plenty of water. I don't know how true that is. For me, I can't let sagging skin get in the way of my progress. I am older so my skin sags. I relapsed before because I couln't stand it.Sometimes you can have you physician write you a script for a lift if the skin is causing problems such as rash, pulling and so on. I will go that route first and if I still can't stand it, I will pay to have it removed. You bet I will!
  • pammesue
    pammesue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive lost over 125 lbs and I was fat for yearsssssssssssss. So it might be the length of time the skin was stretched as well as your age, but I need some serious surgery!!

Working at toning up before the surgery while Im saving up. My upper arms are like wings and my neck looks ...well just looks odd. I will probably have those done first because I would totally love to wear some cute sleeveless tops.

I priced a tummy tuck with lipo and its 6500.00
  • smilingselena
    smilingselena Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    well i have lost almost 115 and still have about 55 to go but allready i do have some saggy skin particulary the thighs and stomach im hoping as im starting strength training it will tighten up
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have "empty" flabby skin than "full". It.will.not.stop.my.progress....nor will it become an excuse!
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    I have been told, though I can't say I have experienced it yet, that doing weight /strength training WHILE losing the weight is one of the best ways to fight saggy skin. Drink loads of water, and try to eat healthy too!

I have 88 pounds all up to lose and I am about 1/3 there, so far no saggy skin, but these bingo wings full of fat had better go away!

Best of luck with your weight loss and healthy living goals!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I've lost 76 in a little over a year and have another 24 to go before goal. I notice some loose skin, but nothing horribly saggy. I think with continued toning/lifting along with moisturizing and a firming gel, I should see less of the loosey goosey. However, due to stretch marks, I wouldn't be adverse to a tummy tuck one of these days!
  • pammesue
    pammesue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are probably right Lynxie. I didnt do anything while I was losing...only until I got small enough to where I didnt think I would die of a heart attack before I started excercising. Im sure I wouldnt have such saggy skin If I had done the working out wihile I was losing.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'm 26. I need a tuck. I look slightly like a deflated fat person now. But I lost 146lbs, and I was obese from childhood and had a "mommy belly" before puberty, so my body was ****ed before I went through all the gaining through puberty and onward and then all the losing. I'd say 70% of me is covered in faded stretchmarks. Some are ravines.
    It COULD be worse though, I lost slowly and I'm sure that's helped a bit. I should have been doing proper strength training during my main loss, but hey. Living in one room + agoraphobia + brokeness = yoga, the odd bit of walking and pink gay dumbells. Now I have space I have fair options for cardio and strength.
    In short : eat properly, strength train.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight in a fairly short amount of time, I have loose skin, it's only really visible with my shirt off. I am looking into surgery to get a tummy tuck. I haven't really done any research yet besides seeing that since I didn't get gastric bypass there's no chance my insurance company will cover it. I have a couple friends who said they would pay for it for me, but I don't wanna hurt that relationship. I lost all my weight in a year doing mostly cardio it wasn't until about 8 months in that I really started lifting. No matter how much lifting I did though I would still have the loose skin around my belly, maybe not as much, but I was way heavy before and had been pretty fat my entire life. I am actually lighter now than I was in the 6th grade.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I have lost 66 pounds of the 90 I have to lose. I have exercised from day 1. Noticed some sagging skin as the weight has come off. Don't know if I'm just lucky or if it is genetic but, my skin seems to be rebounding. I never had a problem with stretch marks so my skin may just be more elastic than others. The only area that seems to not be tightening up is my bust (deflated ballons in that area). I do drink massive amounts of water, so this may be a benefit.

Don't know if I helped, good luck.
  • definitelyval
    Options
    I have lost 66 pounds of the 90 I have to lose. I have exercised from day 1. Noticed some sagging skin as the weight has come off. Don't know if I'm just lucky or if it is genetic but, my skin seems to be rebounding. I never had a problem with stretch marks so my skin may just be more elastic than others. The only area that seems to not be tightening up is my bust (deflated ballons in that area). I do drink massive amounts of water, so this may be a benefit.

Don't know if I helped, good luck.

LOL, deflated balloons! I hear you on THAT!!! After two kids, I don't hold out my hope without a little surgical lift.

Well, I'm glad to hear about both sides of the coin. I definitely get my water in, and I'm starting the 30-day shred on Sunday...woo hoo! Hopefully that will keep/bring some toning.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!