New mom looking for guidance.

Options
Hi there! My name is Kathleen and I'm new to myfitnesspal. I had a baby one month ago and want to ease into thinking about weight loss and exercise again. I'm breastfeeding and, because of this, not really thinking about restricting calories as much as making healthy choices and slowly getting in shape. Since I had a c-section, the only physical activity that my doctor has okayed so far is walking and even that can be painful if I push it too far. I'm excited to meet other moms and hear what has worked for them, especially because our bodies post-baby can be a little unrecognizable. ;) Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks! Xo

Replies

• gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! I suggest going slow and start by just eating healthy and trying to get enough sleep. Keep up with the breastfeeding for as long as you can, it's a great way to burn calories. Be sure that whatever you set your calorie goal at to add 300 calories for the breastfeeding. For exercise, definitely wait until your doctor gives you the okay to do more than walking and start off easy. You definitely don't want to overdo it and get hurt. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can support each other through our journeys. My name is Heather and I have 2 small boys so I know how it feels to want your body back after baby. Congratulations again!
  • gypsycoyote
    Options
    Congrats on the baby! My youngest is almost 10 months :D When you get the go ahead from your doctor, look into post natal yoga. It is great for stretching, and though it has a minimal calorie burn, it is still something to look into. I was using Heather Seiniger's Pregnancy yoga, and it has a routine for during and after pregnancy. Really helpful, I can definitely see a difference in my waist :D

Hope this helps :D
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! I suggest going slow and start by just eating healthy and trying to get enough sleep. Keep up with the breastfeeding for as long as you can, it's a great way to burn calories. Be sure that whatever you set your calorie goal at to add 300 calories for the breastfeeding. For exercise, definitely wait until your doctor gives you the okay to do more than walking and start off easy. You definitely don't want to overdo it and get hurt. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can support each other through our journeys. My name is Heather and I have 2 small boys so I know how it feels to want your body back after baby. Congratulations again!
    ^^ great advice. You will surprised how quick your body bounces back while breast feeding. Take your time and let your body heal. Typically 8 weeks after c-section. Focus on the baby AND getting enough sleep :) Inevitably you'll get down to those last 20 lbs. THat's when you sit and pick a program to get you the rest of the way. Just don't be in a hurry. SLow and steady wins the race to keep it off...until the next baby :) (Mommy of 2 boys, 5 and 8)
  • latinahada
    latinahada Posts: 168
    Options
    Welcome!!! Congrats on your new addition!!! I'm a mother of two, to an 8 year old daughter & almost 3 year old son. Add me as a friend if you'd like!! Sounds like you're on the right path :smile:
  • hsandall
    hsandall Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can friend me, i had my second baby by c-section 6 months ago! I eat around 1600 cal per day and exercise 4-5 days per week. I do low carb and higher protein now which has helped too...
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the baby! My youngest is almost 10 months :D When you get the go ahead from your doctor, look into post natal yoga. It is great for stretching, and though it has a minimal calorie burn, it is still something to look into. I was using Heather Seiniger's Pregnancy yoga, and it has a routine for during and after pregnancy. Really helpful, I can definitely see a difference in my waist :D

Hope this helps :D

THIS! I used to work in a yoga studio and OMG the ladies after, WOOO! Some you couldn't tell were moms after a couple of mos! I had a lot of C-Sec moms and it really helped tighten stuff up! Congrats on the baby!
  • 3Daughtersin2015
    3Daughtersin2015 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a new mom here as well I have a 3 month old daughter, and had a c-section as well. I have a lot of weight to lose, and am looking for other moms in the same boat as I am. I've tried many things to lose weight but it never worked. The one thing I haven't done is form a support group, and talk to other people like me. I'd be glad to be here for you if you need any support.

Darci
  • kathleenparkerb
    Options
    Thank you so much, ladies! Xoxo!
  • cookjl124
    cookjl124 Posts: 14
    Options
    new moms unite.... i have a 4 month old and had a c-section, i was breastfeeding but lost my supply and have transitioned my little girl to formula :( but i'm ready to get healthier for my daughter. I would love to be friends
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi there, welcome! Congrats on the baby, mine is 3 months old. I started working out a month ago, but I didn't have a c-section to contend with. Feel free to add me, we can discuss exercise and sleep deprivation together :)